SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
jrl14

family kitchen command center nook- need layout/design feedback

Jen
2 years ago
last modified: 2 years ago

I am planning a kitchen/mudroom renovation. Currently our plans include a recessed nook in kitchen as a command center/drop zone. This small area is carved out of the adjacent mudroom space to allow it to be recessed for more storage. (That part of the mudroom is in a dead corner next to a few steps so it seems more valuable in the kitchen).

The design has 27" wide x 19" deep space to allow for 18" lower cabinets with bank of 4 drawers and no uppers. We could make this shallower than 19" if that works better for the space and gives more mudroom space on the other side. I've been back and forth of drawers vs lower cabinet here (which would save $).

I'm struggling to find the best way to use the space-

I'm seeing most command center ideas on a vertical wall with lots of hanging files for easy access OR with an upper cabinet but I wont have as much wall space.

Im thinking:

-back wall for: calendar, chore chart and hanging mail/to do filers

-side walls for: shallow hanging filers for my kids homework

-small countertop area for: a small device charging dock

-also have clipboard sized daily routine reminders for kids (in drawer or hung on inside of lower cabinet door to take out when needed)

I"m not sure if I'll get more use out of lower cabinet w/ top junk drawer only, or lower bank drawers, or if I should rethink it completely and just have it be recessed maybe 5-8 inches to accommodate baskets and filers floor to ceiling, gain more space in mudroom corner, but lose the charging dock function. Or add upper cabinet and lose some wall space for calendar?

Any input/ideas to help with functionality is appreciated

Thanks!

All this feedback is helpful. Thanks!!!

HERE is plan- if possible to zoom in...

The x is command center as it stands. I was wrong- its a 30" wide space (27" would be drawer width)

Current plan shows 16 deep recess but that can be modified. Notice stairs going up into kitchen so its a hard to reach corner of mudroom but shoudl be put to best use.

While I figured the mudroom would be drop zone for backpacks, coats/hats/boots, keys, papers would come into the kitchen. Maybe I am wrong on this.

We are A VERY active family (hockey players, lacrosse, skiiers, coaching, puppy, husband works outdoors in landscape construction etc so have LOTS of outdoor clothes/boots/seasonal stuff going into mudroom and some gear in garage. Now with some feedback, I'm leaning towards less space for command center besides vertical space to get more space in mudroom.

Mudroom will need better design to maximize space (and vertical storage above closet) as this is just TBD until we see the space (and will start another post on that later.)

Comments (39)