SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
babushka_cat_gw

Kitchen layout feedback requested

babushka_cat
14 years ago

Hi all -

Wow, this took forever to figure out how to do this... I am seeking layout feedback on my kitchen design, diagrams below. Details and objectives as follows:

1942 cottage style house with original kitchen that really needs to go!

Family makeup: just me and my 2 cats

I like to have small dinner parties, I do have separate dining room

Love to sit in breakfast nook, drink tea, read the paper, listen to the fountain gurgling in the garden

Kitchen is small ~ 11x13

Traffic flows through middle of kitchen to get to garage or dining room/living room

Seeking a classic design, needs to stand up to time as it may be a while before I sell

Keep same footprint not moving gas/water, walls, windows or dimensions of them

Like sink centered under window, has good view of yard

Maximize the small size of the kitchen in terms of functionality and storage

Full gut, budget ~40K-45K

Need to use a GC as I am too busy at work to do it myself but can do painting, tile backsplash etc.

I like natural earth tones and textures, soothing calm environments

I like the classic shaker door style, creamy white

Must have: some glass fronts to display antique glassware (visible from living room)

Leaning towards Omega/Dynasty inset cabinets (door style placid)

Subway tile backsplash

Stainless steel appliances

Will be extending random plank hardwood floors from dining room into the kitchen

Appliances I have: Purchased Wolf 30" AG range (I know, bad for budget, but got a floor model at discount!) Will be re-using my 29.5" wide x 30" deep free standing SS fridge (diagram is wrong, it is a bottom mount freezer type, opens on right side

Appliances I need to buy: dishwasher (would prefer 24" but open to 18", do not like the DW drawers), range hood, microwave.

Do not need a desk in the kitchen, really serves for kitchen and dining activities only

QUESTIONS:

Any suggestions on the cabinet layout - see diagrams

Not sure where to put microwave. Leaning towards buying small SS one and putting in corner on countertop to avoid using up any storage space in such a small kitchen

CanÂt seem to fit a counter depth fridge and 24" DW, may have to stick with my free standing fridge and box it in to give it the built in look.

Any watch outs that I should raise to my contractor (still in process of selecting) or KD?

Need a place to put cat food and water machine on floor out of the way, see proposed spot on diagram (that is why I think drawers there)

layout of room:

view into kitchen from dining room. image of breakfast nook and glass front cabs. blind cab in corner has 1/2 pullout lazy susan:

view of sink area. trash pull out drawer to left of sink:

view of range area. the door to the garage is to the right of this image (does not show)

Comments (6)