SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
scootermom_gw

Please look at my kit/mudroom layout - feedback requested

scootermom
15 years ago

Hello! I've been working hard on my kitchen/mudroom/office layout, taking into consideration a lot of the input that I got here.

Last time I posted, everyone pointed out to me that a separate office/HW room w/ computers in it would put the computers outside the parental line of vision. I took that to heart and made the office smaller -- it has a workstation for my husband and his laptop, plus a desk for book-and-paper homework/studying. I added a computer desk in the kitchen, and we still have one down in our family room. These are both in high-traffic, walk-by areas.

I had also received a few suggestions about putting the cooking part of the kitchen at the front of the house, w/ the sink where the bay window is not. I worked on a few such designs, and really tried to make them work. Bottom line, though -- it's not a good fit within the context of the rest of our house. I actually like our existing kitchen, and we've recently received compliments on how well it works from guests (despite it being old, out of date, and a mite too small for our liking). So I've tweaked what we've got now, to expand things, and moved the dining room to the addition (it was previously in front of the back sliding door -- bad place for it!). I'm glad that I spent a lot of time experimenting w/ the kitchen-in-front layout, though, because it really helped me know what we do and do not want.

Here's the latest.

{{gwi:1898007}}

We are likely using Ikea cabinetry, and I still am fine-tuning specific cabinet choices using their design tool...still a lot of work to do there, so right now I'm just looking for general feedback on the layout; if there are no show-stoppers, I will post the details soon.

Thank you, GW kitchen friends, for anything you care to share!

Chris

Comments (6)