SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
aniam_gw

Kitchen Layout Feedback Needed...

aniam
13 years ago

Hi everyone,

I am working on the plans for our new kitchen and would love your input. Please look over the draft plan and critique it ? the general layout, the separation of zones, etc. .

A few background comments:

House in the center of Philadelphia so I do not have the ability to move windows from the existing locations to other walls, as they abut other properties.

House is in historical district so changing the windows (size) or adding any is not happening. I am mentioning this because the two windows are a bit of a design conundrum?as you can see on the plan. The windows are large and let a ton of light in ? but they are also very low off the floor (approx 25") so you cannot put a counter against them.

The kitchen opens to a large dining room which then overlooks a huge living room with an entire wall of windows/doors overlooking a lush green backyard. The space is very open so I am trying to be very careful in ensuring that it flows very well from one room to the next.

I am also obsessed with enough storage in the kitchen - clearly scarred for life from living in smaller city places where literally each ? inch made a difference. While in this new house that should not be an issue and for now it is just DH and me (but looking to add 1 or 2 more to our group) ? it is a bit of an obsession with me (which may explain the tall pantry, tall closet, etc.) Additionally, I need to make sure that we have enough refrigeration space ? we are contemplating a 48" built in side by side - as we will be entertaining much more often and eating in more often as well.

We definitely want an island ? as that will de facto our eat-in kitchen area and ideally would like to fit 4 folks in there. I am also looking to incorporate a smaller flat screen TV (for now the thought is it would be housed in the cabinet above the oven stack) ? as we would like to catch the news while having breakfast or dinner.

I really struggled with how to lay the kitchen out. You will notice the cook top and hood on the center wall in between windows. We thought that may help us "anchor" the room and with some fabulous backsplash will create a really nice focal point. However, every now and then as I think of the layout I am wondering if the cook top/hood placement is too contrived?

A big thank you to all of you who will take the time to look at my plan and provide your feedback?

Ania

Comments (14)