SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
dmpsd

Need feedback on kitchen layout please!

dmpsd
5 years ago
last modified: 5 years ago

Hi,

We are redoing the kitchen in a 3 bedroom, 2 bath, 1800 square foot house near the beach. The upstairs and downstairs are rented separately. Thus, this kitchen serves the 2 bedroom, 1 bath, 1,000 square foot upstairs.

Old kitchen was a U with a peninsula. We are contemplating moving to an L, but would love feedback.

I am attaching a floor plan of kitchen/living room and drawings done by cabinet guy. There seem to be some obvious flaw in his lay out (trash in wrong place, drawers too small), but I am not sure how to best fix them. Note that the kitchen has a small walk in pantry that you can see on my floor plan, but not the cabinet guys drawings. (Please note that the red boxes are where I covered up information -- they don't represent anything.) Also, I could not get layouts to post in original post, so they are in the comments.

Ceilings are 105", but there is a slope of about 1.5 inches. So ceiling at refrigerator is about 1.5 inches higher than ceiling at kitchen window. Cabinet guy proposes 40 inch cabinets with a 10 inch soffit to hide slope, but that seems a little odd to me.

Windows cannot move. If it would improve layout, I would consider moving gas line/vent (depending on cost). There is no attic space in the house, so that presents some lighting challenges, but I can ask about those separately.

Thanks in advance!

Comments (3)