SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
denkyem

Choosing flooring material for a heated basement floor

denkyem
2 years ago

We are about to launch a massive basement renovation, and I'd be grateful for advice on choosing a flooring product, as I am having difficulty weighing aesthetics, comfort, heat conducting properties and resilience to moisture. Here are the considerations:

-This is a massive renovation -- digging down the basement floor two feet, underpinning the walls, waterproofing, new slab with insulation under it. And before you ask -- in my housing market yes, this is a worthwhile and very common thing to do.

-We plan to put in hydronic in-floor heating and this will be the primary way we heat the space, though we can put in some vents from the forced-air ducts that serve the rest of the house. I understand our flooring product needs to handle the heat under it well and should be something that helps spread warmth evenly.

-The basement will be freshly waterproofed but it's a basement, we know dampness is always possible.

-The space will serve as guest accommodations, a TV room, a play room for the kids and a space for my husband to practice guitar. We may occasionally host a rock band practice. We'd like it to feel cozy.

-We have a one year old and hope to have another kid, so anticipate some gross motor play and rough housing in this space over the years, with plenty of bonks. This makes me pretty hesitant to consider tile.

-Our house is 110 years old and the upstairs is done in a transitional style and has lovely new site-finished oak floors in a provincial stain. We anticipate a more contemporary style in the basement, however.

-We don't have an infinite budget but this is not a cheap reno, and we want to make sure the flooring feels high-quality and is built to last. We imagine we might be in this same house for 40-50 years.

If this was you, what material would you put in?

Comments (12)