SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
leiker_gables

Same source (basement radiant floor heating): extend to large garage?

Jenn Leiker
2 years ago

We have a great existing radiant floor heating system under our basement, running cheaply on natural gas. It's about 10 yrs old and works great in northern Alberta. Weirdly, our home was built without a garage, which we're about to rectify! My husband wants a very large (28x56-60?) four-car garage. This will attach directly to the house via a kind of deck-height uninsulated porch/cold room. The water/heating system will thus be about 10-15 feet from the garage floor we'll be heating (though at ground level, obviously, not basement level).
My question is: will we be able to run our new radiant heat off of the same system as the basement one? And if so, at what juncture does it get connected?
We are in -20 to -35C winters way up in northern Alberta... and we plan to snowbird for months. We don't want our concrete garage floor to heave (scored) or everything/pipes to freeze and burst while we are gone (new first floor bathroom in garage; flipping a toilet that was in a formerly exterior wall that will now be interior through insulated section of porch/cold room).
Will this need its own gas boiler, or is it normal to split between two radiant floor systems/areas?
Thanks for any advice you can spare. My husband has built his own house, but it was not in this type of crate and didn't include any radiant floor heating.

Comments (6)