SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
lorraineg570

hydronic radiant heat in garage floor....quadrupled my electric bill?

lorraineg570
5 years ago
last modified: 5 years ago

Hoping someone can possibly shed some light here. My normal electric bill is between 120-150 USD in the winter. I just got my latest bill (not estimated) and it was $420 (over 3700 kwh) ! Needless to say, I almost had a stroke. My actual (not estimated) readings are usually 600-1300 kwh. After recovering, I called the electric company.

We had a power surge in late November that fried a tv and the circuit panel on our furnace. I asked if that might have affected the meter and was assured it would not and that the culprit is internal.

We did put a heated floor in our garage in November. We've checked that the pump and hot water tank

(electric ) are functioning properly. Is it likely that the heated floor has quadrupled my electric bill? I understand that last month's bill was estimated and this month's bill might be higher because of that...but that's the way it always works. We've been here 3 years and my highest bill ever was 165.00.

I posted over on reddit in the electrician section and they said it probably was the flooring but everything I've read online says that hydronic radiant heat is very cost effective to run....so I figured I'd ask the heating experts too...

Comments (19)