SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
heather_jennings

Radiant heat in the garage;we're in Minnesota--yes/no???

Heather Jennings
14 years ago

Hey everyone,

I'm posting this to the forum because we just really aren't sure what to do and don't want to regret anything.

We're building a modern home in Minnesota, flat roof, concrete floors on the lower level and main. We are heating our home with radiant heat through the floors and will have a supplemental forced air (small) unit. At one point we had thought it would be cool to heat the garage as well with the radiant heat but the cost would be an additional $3000. After a struggle to get financing due to the new mortgage guidelines and the strictness (and after putting 30% down!) we quickly decided $3000 would be just too much coming out of our pocket, especially since there are some other things that could not be included in the original mortgage loan.

Our builder, who has been really great, really pushed us on Friday to think hard about this because we couldn't redo this part later. He said his HVAC subs (or whoever does the radiant tubing stuff) really thought we should do this.

Our garage is a 2 stall 24x24 space. We won't have a work space out there, just basically for our cars, some storage and my work sink to clean up painting supplies.

I would just love some honest opinions and perhaps some responses of what others have done or didn't do and did you regret it. We're going to have to decided in the next week and we're so stuck!

Thanks in advance!

Heather J in MN

www.1070burgess.com

Comments (45)