SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
mamiller040256

A $$$ Kitchen in TH Mag - Signs of Kitchen Design Changes?

M Miller
2 years ago
last modified: 2 years ago

Traditional Home Magazine had a piece on a kitchen in Telluride CO. With its astonishing views, size, and level of workmanship, it is clearly very expensive. I am seeing some design notes that may portend to changes from what we have been seeing in kitchens for at least the last 10 years. These changes may trickle down to ”regular” kitchens over the next few years.

Instead of cabinetry with the simple lines of Shaker and slab, there are elaborate raised paneling, beading and wood appliques. Having said that, there is not really a hearkening back to the 1980s elaborate kitchens. There are no corbels or curlicues, and the nod to columns is understated. The woodwork is extremely linear, and incisively and deeply cut.

I thought I’d never see again an island counter with cut corners like from the ’90s. Or upper cabinets that are at different heights like castle ramparts. But here they are.

The increasing importance of air quality is shown by the gigantic hood. An industrial look in distressed zinc contrasts with the natural wonder of the mountain view and the log walls that evoke a mountain cabin.

Judging by the zinc backsplash, as well as other slab-type backsplashes seen lately in high-end design magazines, it could be that tile backsplashes are no longer to be. Just as this forum sometimes advises people that a certain tile is from the ’90s, in a few years it may be advising people that any tile backsplash is so ”early 2020s”.

NOTE - this post is just for an intellectual exercise and design discussion. Please people, don’t start taking anything personally or getting angry about it (seen that happen here).

Comments (52)