SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
lilbirdfly

Help! What to do with historic bathroom tile floor we found.

I need help deciding how to proceed with our bathroom tile floor. My plan was to tile over this with penny tile that I have purchased already. My husband demo’ed the top layer of tile and found that there are two more layers underneath that. In photo you can see the second layer which has adhesive all over it. We chipped off a few of those tiles near the door to reveal the original tile floor (1929 house) which is unglazed porcelain penny hex with three rows of tiny squares as a border.

Would love to save it but seriously doubt it’s possible. As you can see there is a crack that seems to run all the way from the door to the tub. And something underneath must be pushing up because tiles on right side I are lifted higher than on left side. It affected the tiles that were laid on top, but the layer we removed (two inch squares) had not been affected at all by that.

So, now we are not sure how to proceed.
I know there will be lots of opinions but I’d like to hear them. This is DIY, but We just did our powder room which we gutted and I tiled the floor and walls up to 4 feet. It looks awesome, so, we decided to tackle this. We had hoped we could lay the tile without tearing out all of the substrate but not sure how to clean this up and how much it must be cleaned up before flattening with a layer of thinset? Or should we bust the whole thing up? I wish the original floor could be saved. :(

What would you do?

Comments (9)