SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
vmurt

Coverage on Sherwin Williams colours with high reflective white base

Tanya Mur
2 years ago
last modified: 2 years ago

Hi all,

I've got a bit of a complication with my paint choices. I had posted earlier re: my choice of Sherwin Williams Cheviot, which has an LRV of 89. My painting has been slightly delayed a bit because of this issue (not too bad because they've been removing the popcorn ceiling this past week).

Sherwin Williams has told my painter (and me, when I confirmed with them), that Cheviot is made using the High Reflective White base, which has very little coverage over darker walls. Apparently this is because of the high LRV. The walls in my place currently are a deep tan/gold/brown colour, and they told me that Cheviot might not even cover that after four or five coats. I asked about certain other whites, including White Flour, and they said they're the same because of the High Reflective White base. I noticed that White Flour also has a fairly high LRV (87).

Looks like the painters will have to prime over the darker colour first, and then use multiple coats of Cheviot over the top.

Otherwise, they said if I use something like WestHighland White, that would have more coverage because they can mix it using a different base (I think they said the base for that would be Extra White).

Has anyone heard of this before? Curious about others' experiences

Comments (4)