SHOP BY DEPARTMENT
mrsrossisme

Has anyone used Sherwin Williams Natural Linen?

I usually prefer Benjamin Moore paint, but I couldn't find anything similar to this beautiful beige of Natural Linen.

Has anyone used this in their home? Would love reviews.

Thank you!

Amy

Comments (249)

• Reba
    26 days ago

Painter is here & I love Manchester tan, no undertone, I was worried because of online pics & yellow base.

• tesslarox
    9 days ago

@Amy Kemp did you have the natural linen anywhere with north facing light? wondering if my lighting would cool it down enough for me to like it, as my countertops/flooring call for pink/orange undertones. i am nearly settled on Natural Tan but a little worried that it might not be warm enough for my fixed elements (even though i prefer more neutral or even cooler colors).

• Related Discussions

Has anyone used Sherwin Williams Clipit software?

Q

Comments (2)
    That's what I thought was going on. Thanks for confirming that. I figured out that Houzz actually will direct me to a color when I type it in and bring up rooms that are painted in that color and that is pretty helpful, so I'm using both at the moment. Choosing colors never easy for me. I can look at paint chips all day and no matter how much I love one, it never looks like what I am expecting when it is on the wall. And already this morning, two colors I liked, when I pulled up a room with that color, I thought, no, I don't like it. [g]
    ...See More

Anyone Colored matched BM White Dove with Sherwin Williams paint?

Q

Comments (4)
    I just got a gallon of paint from SW which was color matched to a BM color. The paint manager said they had most of the BM formulas and were an excellent match. Hope that helps your concern...the 40% off sale ends today.
    ...See More

Anyone have a Martha Stewart - Sherwin Williams color you love?

Q

Comments (9)
    I bought the current issue of Beautiful Kitchens today and saw a lovely vintage look kitchen with yellow cabinets. I thought, hmmm, that might be a nice change from the creamy white I was considering. So I looked up the color and was please to see Sea Oats and Dupioni on the ceiling, Sherwin Williams. Great, I thought, I'll get my SW fandeck out and see the color IRL. Except, it wasn't there. A quick google for Sea Oats paint came up with Martha @ SW. So, I started remembering how great those colors were and I'm totally kicking myself for purging all my paint cards a few years ago. DH is forever on my case because I can't resist them and they're everywhere. I'm headed to my Mom's this Thanksgiving. I'm hoping she has some still lying around. I inherited my paint chip addiction from her. Can't wait! Keep the colors coming. I'd love to see pictures if you've got them.
    ...See More

Has anyone used Sherwin-Williams "favourite jeans" colour paint?

Q

Comments (7)
    I got two emails after I posted this asking what is the difference is between undertones and overtones. I focused on answering OP's question here, but I also posted the colorography on Instagram with this comment. Hope it helps. Sherwin-Williams Favorite Jeans SW9147 is a great example of how a color notation can give you a heads-up on potential color overtones. You know the difference between overtone and undertone, right? Overtone - Derived from an objective color measurement. Can be plotted and illustrated on a color wheel. Overtone is the secondary color that makes a color look the way it does. Answers the question, Which way clockwise or counter clockwise from the fundamental hue parent does a color lean when plotted on a color wheel? Overtone synonym: hue bias. Undertone - Subjective description of a personal color experience. Not measurable, can't be consistently illustrated on a color wheel. Undertone is the color revealed when a medium, like artist's paints or printer's ink, is spread thinly so light filters all the way to the substrate and bounces back up through the thin film of color.
    ...See More
  • Amy Kemp
    8 days ago

@tesslarox I didn't have it in any north facing light... The bottom line for me was that I didn't even like it in any artificial light- going up to 5000k bulbs made it look purple to me (the blue light with the red in the paint??) and the 2700k bulbs made it look orangey peach (the yellow light with red in the paint?). But, my space and elements are different than yours so obviously you could try natural linen and love it- that's the craziness of paint!! As a side... are you sampling natural linen from Sherwin Williams or color matching it somewhere else? (Long story but the Kelly Moore color match of natural linen was less peachy to me but in the end it wasn't an option due to supply and I had to purchase the "real" Sherwin Williams natural linen and that one was more peach.)... Anyway for me canvas tan ended up being the winner- the slightest shift less peach than natural linen but still works with my fixed elements (tile floor) that needs a warmer undertone and but doesn't look orangey with the blues and greens I love to decorate with.

I would recommend painting samples on multiple large poster boards and having white paper around your sample so as the block out the current wall color. The current wall color really influences how the sample looks! I loved natural linen until the first coat went in the entire room... It's crazy. Good luck!!!

• Amy Kemp
    8 days ago

Sorry I just realized I misread your post... I thought you had said you're nearly settled on natural linen.

• Amy Kemp
    8 days ago

Anyway, I did almost try natural tan when I didn't like natural linen. But Kylie M Interiors (I had a consult) suggested trying canvas tan as she thought natural tan "might be a shift too muted but not bad." So if you try natural tan and don't like it maybe canvas tan will work. I bet between the two you'll find one you love!

• Amy Kemp
    8 days ago

@tesslarox two more comments above I forgot to tag you

• tesslarox
    8 days ago

@Amy Kemp thanks for all the info. i love canvas tan but with the damn pink/orange undertones in my counters it clashes or that would be my #1. I still cant get sample paints at sherwin, so i hust have sampalize swatches on white poster board to try and drown out my wall color. I use 3000k lightbulbs, the blue daylight ones give me a headache so thats not an option. I dont know if the cool north light would cool it down enough for me (at least during the day.

My fear with natural tan is with the pink base and that little bit of gray, it tends to flash purple so it may be a no go in my lighting. Open floorplans are so hard because its so much to repaint and I have to hire out because we have some 18’ ceilings so i really need to get it right the first time. i think what i need is a cross between NL and NT, the orange/pink undertone of NL with the little bit of gray from NT to mute it a little more.

• W
    8 days ago

@tesslarox Would you post a pic of your counters and tile? Our area has orange/pink cabs in kitchen and orange/pink wood floor in open fam room. I was given the advice to go with a violet gray complex cream to tone the pink orange down. Our kitchen has griege tile and warm white counters. I was told SW Egret White would be the perfect color, but it looks like a cool grey in our home and that's not the look I'm going for. It looks griege/beige in photos on Houzz, etc. but not on my walls. So, we've now narrowed it down to: KM Urban Bird, SW Kestrel White and KM Bone. It's enough to drive you bonkers, for sure.

• W
    8 days ago

It's funny bc NL has been identified my several apps as being a counterpart to those colors but it's too peach compare to them, to me.

• W
    8 days ago

The colors are in the same order in all of the pics. It seems the farthest left, KM Bone is the best option. I'm waiting on a sample now to put on the walls.

• tesslarox
    8 days ago

@W I’m at work but had these on my phone. We don‘t have Kelly Moore in my area to my knowledge.

• W
    7 days ago

What is the wall color beside the stairs? Your counters and carpet look pink beige to me. Your wood floor doesn't look pink orange to me, at least in that photo?

• W
    7 days ago

I read to stay away from yellows with anything pink beige and move more toward muted greens or blues. But not sure if that sounds right, either.😬 I hate paint these days lol.

• tesslarox
    7 days ago

@W Color is SW stone lion by the stairs and Loggia in the kitchen. In person the counters are pinky peach, the carpet is pink beige and the wood laminant has a lot of orange and red tones. I read the same about yellows, which is why Canvas Tan won’t work. I’m going for a black/white/tan or beige color scheme. I’m terrified of going too warm, but the cooler colors I’m typically drawn to look off with my northern exposure. It appears Natural Tan has a fair amount of pink, and the touch of gray to cool it off a bit but I’m worried it’ll look like icy lavendar. I just ordered a few paint cards from the SW emerald designer line. I’d hate to have to pay that much for paint BUT if i happen to find the perfect shade it’ll be worth it. If I don’t decide soon, I think my husband might leave me lol.

• Reba
    7 days ago

Have you tried Lowe’s for SW paint samples? I eventually found samples there when I was in this dilemma.

I have natural tan cabinets in a south facing room &
    in our house it looks like a muted cream shade.
    I have canvas tan on my walls & the 2 colors look very
    Similar with canvas tan having less cream.

Have you watched Jacob Owens paint videos? He talks more about what fixed elements go with a particular paint color.

• tesslarox
    7 days ago

@Reba I have watched his videos, i don’t think he has one on Natural Tan. I have all north facing windows (cool blue light) except for 1 east facing window at the top of my stairs.

• Reba
    7 days ago

Jennifer decorates (YouTube) has a video called cozy home tour that uses natural tan if a visual would help you. She also has 2 videos on paint colors. Good luck!

• tesslarox
    7 days ago

@gillis95 any updates, what color did you end up going with?

• tesslarox
    7 days ago

@C J did you end up using natural tan?

• tesslarox
    7 days ago

@W did you end up ruling out BM white sand? Is it warmer/cooler than NL?

• tesslarox
    7 days ago

I think I’m adding Benjamin Moore Natures Essentials and Alaskan Skies to my list

• Amy Kemp
    6 days ago
  • W
    6 days ago

@tesslarox BM White Sand was a pretty color but considerably more orange that NL to me. Very Coastal looking, not right for my space. It's reminded me of a baby Kilim Beige, lol. If you know the color, you'll get it.

• PRO
    Lori A. Sawaya
    6 days ago
    last modified: 6 days ago

@tesslarox were you looking for Colorographies for Natural Tan, Natural Linen and High Reflective White on my IG account? It's easier to answer with images here.

Not Colorographies but the notations for each from The Color DNA Table (this is faster than making Colorogaphies).

• tesslarox
    6 days ago

@Lori A. Sawaya yes, you found me! I signed up for your monthly membership yesterday and have been playing around, but it’s so helpful to see these next to eachother for comparison; so THANK YOU!

Just want to make sure I’m understanding this correctly: Natural Linen is the warmest as its closest to YR, then Natural Tan, Alaskan Skies and Natures Essentials? The two Ben Moore colors are inching closer to GY?

If my kitchen countertops have a pinky/orange base, would one of the two Sherwin Williams colors be a better option?

It’s also extremely helpful knowing that High Reflective White is a GY, makes me think that Pure White or White Snow would look better with these Y hue families.

One last thing, I’ve been told to stay away from yellow beiges with my counter top. With that being said, would the warm yellows on the color wheel be ok or should I be looking at another hue alltogether?

Thank you so much for all your help and expertise, I’m a big fan!

• tesslarox
    6 days ago

@W I hadn’t realized how light it is when I asked. When I saw the LRV I had to rule it out. I’m thinking 65-66 is as light as I’m comfortable going. Also, totally not ok with a baby kilim beige haha

• PRO
    Lori A. Sawaya
    6 days ago

If my kitchen countertops have a pinky/orange base, would one of the two Sherwin Williams colors be a better option?

Correct. Natural Linen would align better with the countertops.

• PRO
    Lori A. Sawaya
    6 days ago

It’s also extremely helpful knowing that High Reflective White is a GY, makes me think that Pure White or White Snow would look better with these Y hue families.

HRW isn't the greatest choice in most cases. Mostly because you're limited to SW product because you can only get HRW in selective products.

One last thing, I’ve been told to stay away from yellow beiges with my counter top. With that being said, would the warm yellows on the color wheel be ok or should I be looking at another hue alltogether?

Ideally, we'd measure the countertop so we know exactly where we are in terms of hue family on the CSCW. But generally speaking, colors from the beginning of the Y hue family should work in terms of harmony because they are so close to the end of the YR hue family.

• tesslarox
    6 days ago

@Lori A. Sawaya I have a color muse reader, is that what you mean by ”read the countertop”?

• PRO
    Lori A. Sawaya
    6 days ago
    last modified: 6 days ago

Yep. If you want to take a few measurements and post the data here's how:

1. Launch the Color Muse app

2. Settings

3. Standard Illuminant - D65

4. Standard Observer - CIE 1931 2 degree > Close

5. Compare (it's in the lower left)

6. Place your Color Muse on main color in the counter > Scan Standard

7. Move to another area/color > Scan Sample

8 Take a screen shot and post it. Should look like this.

• W
    5 days ago

Would someone suggest a Taupe or Violet Grey taupe in the 62-68 LRV range?

• tesslarox
    5 days ago

@W have you looked at SW Modern Gray? I think it’s super pretty.

• tesslarox
    5 days ago

@Lori A. Sawaya here is the reading from my counter

• PRO
    Lori A. Sawaya
    5 days ago

Great job!

The beauty of measuring color with a colorimeter like a Color Muse is that it blocks out all ambient light. The device has its own light and in the settings we set it to the D65 standard so you can accurately measure color any time, anywhere.

Which means the data values you posted are factual. Because the device was set to standards that are repeatable.

How the color looks in your space, how you respond to its appearance is actual.

The point is to use the factual frame work of color measurements and notations to fine tune actual color appearance so you get colors you're happy with.

I have to clean up the kitchen and get dishes going. Gimme a minute to pull your numbers in to a spreadsheet so we can see where we are.

• tesslarox
    5 days ago

Went a little wild…

floors:

Carpet:

Coffee Table:

• tesslarox
    5 days ago

And then this is my counter with the lights on, in the first reading they were off (I’m sure they weren’t in the same spots and there are so many little flecks in the corian that its hard to get the background color). I use 3000K lightbulbs. @Lori A. Sawaya

• PRO
    Lori A. Sawaya
    5 days ago

Went a little wild…

😎 everyone does once they learn how to use it.

If you swipe to the next set of data, you can get the hue angle for each color scanned. It's the "H" column. Then all you have to do is find that angle/degrees on the Color Strategist Color Wheel and it tells you what hue family that color belongs to.

Colors from the same hue family neighborhood go together because the color relationship is same/similar hue family. And a color relationship is where color harmony comes from.

• PRO
    Lori A. Sawaya
    5 days ago

(I’m sure they weren’t in the same spots and there are so many little flecks in the corian that its hard to get the background color). I use 3000K lightbulbs.

It's unlikely to ever get the exact same measurements with multicolored material.

What we do is take 3, 5, 7 or maybe 9 measurements from the sample and do what's called multi-point averaging.

I don't do that very often because after 2 or 3 scans it's obvious what hue families are involved. The color relationships in samples with multiple colors are going to be cohesive 99.9% of the time because there's a designer/team behind the product development; it wouldn't sell if the colors weren't right.

Which is why common advice is to use a rug, counter top, fabric, etc. as a jumping off point and repeat the colors throughout the space. Which is essentially what you're doing by using your counter top to inform the paint color.

Considering the light bulbs is the last thing I do - if I consider them at all. Because they don't matter. Light bulbs don't matter because they're not part of the equation 24/7 and they can be replaced. If they can't be replaced, then it's more relevant.

• PRO
    Lori A. Sawaya
    5 days ago

Now we know where we are on the Color Strategist color Wheel; what hue families we have to work with.

Note the Corian measurements.

They are consistent in terms of hue family. It did not matter if you had lights on or off because your Color Muse has its own light source and blocks out ambient light.

Paint colors that go with your stuff will be in that same range.

And the colors you were thinking about testing are in that range.

Considering your carpet in the mix, I'd go for Natural Tan first.

• tesslarox
    5 days ago

@Lori A. Sawaya this is seriously so cool, I cant thank you enough! I sincerely hope to take your course someday, because I find all of this so interesting.

• W
    5 days ago

@tesslarox, Modern Gray has been suggested before so I'll definitely check in out. I steered clear at first from the word Gray, lol. I'm wanting more cream/greige. Where did you buy your Color Muse? After investing so much $$$$ into finding the perfect color, without success, what's a little more, lol?

• tesslarox
    5 days ago

@W pretty sure I got it on Amazon for around $60. I personally consider Modern Gray more of a taupe. I almost settled on it but it was a touch cooler than my northern exposure could handle.

• PRO
    Lori A. Sawaya
    5 days ago

Color Muse on Amazon you don't need the SE edition.

If you're interested in leveling up, get the Spectro 1 Pro.

If either are not in stock on Amazon, try ordering directly from Variable, Inc.

Color Muse is a colorimeter. A good entry level device.

Spectro 1 Pro is a spectrophotometer and the device to choose if you want to level up. It captures more details of a color's energy and is most similar to the instruments EasyRGB dot com uses to measure colors. Because the more consistency there is with color data values, the better.

• W
    5 days ago

Thanks! Is there a certain color wheel you also suggest?

• W
    5 days ago

I found these suggestions on the quartz site! Interestingly, the bottom right color matches to SW Alabaster which is the color of my existing trim. The wall color SW Egret White (2 shades darker than Alabaster) was specified for us, but it doesn't look right in my space. Instead of a taupe or warm greige, it looks like a cool grey/blue-toned color. Do you think if I went warmer on the paint strip that would be better? I think SW Pediment is the next darker, it's LRV is 61, closer to the range I like. Or would it still have the grayer-bluer tones to it? SW Egret White looks perfect online in other photos, but not on my walls.

• PRO
    Lori A. Sawaya
    4 days ago

Thanks! Is there a certain color wheel you also suggest

What I showed you only works with The Color Strategist color wheel.

• PRO
    Lori A. Sawaya
    4 days ago
    last modified: 4 days ago

Do you think if I went warmer on the paint strip that would be better?

Hard to say. There is no rhyme or reason or strategy to how colors are ordered on those strips.

All the colors one strip do not necessarily belong to the same hue family. Sometimes they do, oftentimes they don't.

Fandecks and racks aren't ordered to help the consumer choose paint colors and make good choices. They're organized for different goals like mixing paint or sales and marketing.

SW Egret White looks perfect online in other photos, but not on my walls.

Never trust what you're looking at online. You can't count on those photos. For example, when you see rooms painted with colors of the year from paint brands, the walls are a different color in real life. Sometimes they make an effort to tweak the color post production so it looks more like the COTY paint chip, most of the time they don't bother.

Because they know everyone's phone, ipad, etc. is going to display the color differently so there isn't any amount of effort put into the photos beyond making sure it's in the ballpark of kind of representing the paint color.

And that's true with all photos online - no one cares (too much) about trying to make digital versions of paint colors accurately represent the in real life color. You're looking at several layers of photo/color manipulation from how the color was photographed to begin with > post production > posted online.

• W
    3 days ago

Yes, very true on the manipulation of photo colors. Just take a look at Instagram feeds - app blown out, lol! Thanks!

• tesslarox
    2 days ago

@Lori A. Sawaya quick unrelated question. If a color isn’t listed on your sites color dna, is that information available elsewhere? There are a couple colors I’m considering for my homes exterior that I would like to look into further.

• PRO
    Lori A. Sawaya
    2 days ago
    last modified: 2 days ago

Email me and tell me what colors you want added. lori@thelandofcolor.com I can usually get them added same day.

My VA is working on adding outstanding SW collection colors. After that we're adding Fine Paint of Europe Designer I and II, after that any remaining colors from the BenM Preview Collection will be added.