SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
chilanlieu

tear it apart—kitchen design and Island Size help!!!

Laura Lee
2 years ago

Hi everyone! Struggling w/ this design. My kitchen is average size. But it has NO WINDOWS. On the opposite side, there are sliding glass doors leading out, and an angled window and dining room with another slider. It isn’t super dark, but by no means is it bright. Average 96” ceilings. We have a ton of recessed lights I plan to out new retrofit cans into.

It has a few more challenges. To the left, I have a small wall that comes out to 21” and houses furnace vent and electrical. And there used to be a doorway that leads to living room. I have worked w a designer and an ikea kitchen planner to get this far. But designer mid-measured my kitchen and stared I could fit more than I can…and in the process I kind of fell in love with a 4’ wide kitchen island. Working with Ikea’s designer, I discovered I can have 2 lazy Susan’s, and make it fairly symmetrical. But he states I can do usual 3’ wide or 4’ wide island. If I do 4’, I feel like the entrance from garage (on right side) will always spit one out into the island. There’s a large pathway, and 2 steps down, but is this large permanent fixture too much to constantly hit visually?

I want to create a calming kitchen without a lot of visual noise. We chose the Bodarp (gray green) kitchen with uppers in the bamboo door that hinge up. These uppers will be wrapped in a white panel from Ikea. Sink will have floating shelves, countertop will likely be snowy white or blizzard quartz. And backsplash will also be a solid type of white tile.

Considering doing a larger lip on the counters and island as well—but weighing the cost. Anyone with 2” or 2.5” countertop lip love it or hate it? Is the expense worth it?

Thank you thank you thank you!!!

Comments (6)