SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
kaj3079

Need Help with my kitchen design with an island.

kaj3079
8 years ago
last modified: 8 years ago

We just bought a house that needs updating. Also, the sofits in the kitchen have been taken out. I have attached photos in a design program, but only for the purpose of showing you the layout of the kitchen/family room, it's just for place holders. The desk area will not look like this and I was told I shouldn't put a desk area in the kitchen, but I've seen some nice kitchen workstations on this site that don't look like desks. Cabinets are 42 inch white shaker style that will go to the top of the ceiling with crown molding, the door in the kitchen goes to a 5X6 pantry. The other opening will go to the dining room 5 feet away that will have seating for 12.

The wall by the fridge will have a 31 inch wide tall pantry will pullout shelves for food and 4ft counter space with cabinets above between pantry and fridge. The sink and dishwasher will be in the island and there will be a 12-15 inch over hang for stools,

Our architect did drawings for the entire first floor but does not use CAD, so we used a program just to try to get 3D images and it is a bit dated. I decided I would like to try to put an island in the center of the kitchen.

The entire room is approx 17 1/2 feet wide(except for one part of the kitchen that is 15 feet wide) and a little over 40 feet long( this is the combined kitchen/family room). We are now going to take space from the Family room addition that was orginally 18X30 and take about 6 feet of that space for our kitchen and line up to the ridge you see in the picture attached because the family room has vaulted ceilings. The contractor and tile person said this would be the best place to stop the kitchen tile going into pine. So the new family room size is 17 1/2 by 23 1/2 and has big windows on all 3 sides. This will now be one big room.

My question is, in seeing the pictures and the measurements, I wanted to put a 10ft long X 5 ft wide foot island with stools in the middle of the kitchen with a sink and a dishwasher. Is that too big and or should I go 51 inch wide by maybe 8-9 feet long. My dimensions are actually what size the counter top would be so yes, part of that would be overhang. There seems to be almost 4 feet from counter tops to cabinets or wall all around the island.

My other question is what side to put the stools on, they would either go down the side of where the pantry door is or have them on the side and at the end going into the family room. I find it creates a more conversational setting instead of being lined up like bar especially if we are a family of 4 and would like to talk at dinner. I've also seen one side of the island is all base cabinets and the other side is open like a table. I guess you could also do an over hang down one side or make it like an L or just at one end of the island. Also, should I incorporate a kitche table going into the family room? Thanks for any advice!

Comments (30)

Sponsored
Custom Home Works
Average rating: 4.6 out of 5 stars10 Reviews
Franklin County's Award-Winning Design, Build and Remodeling Expert