SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
webuser_497899254

Best practices to develop a lake lot?

Thomas Lombard
2 years ago
last modified: 2 years ago

I own a lake lot in Northern Wisconsin.

My wife and I would like to begin development of the lot: build a cabin/home with garage

I have NO experience in developing a lot:

installing utilities - septic, well, electric, gas, cable/fiber(Internet)

&/or how to get a cabin/house w/ garage built.

&/or what it costs to do the above.

I am working with a septic person to learn about process/costs...I know I can do the same with a well guy, and the utilities companies fo rare rest.

We have searched the internet for a floor plan...and found a plan that we like and we know some attributes we are wanting:

smaller square feet, energy efficient, and nicer finishes

Ranch with main floor master * master bathroom, and additional bath on main floor as well as laundry

Walkout based (sloped lot) with two bedrooms and bathroom in the basement with a hangout/area.

From there, I do NOT know how best to proceed.

Do I reach out to local builders and get quotes, and pick one to help us navigate all the steps/processes that need to be done?

IF I know the floor plan we mostly like, do I hire a drafter to create and tweak the plan...and use that to get quotes?

Anyone have best guess what it would cost to build a ranch w/ garage (3bay), with walkout...best guess 1,500 living space (cost excluding utilities, excavating)...just to get the basement and structures built. I am reading anywhere from $200 to $500 per sq/foot....what is reality?

Thank You in advance for guidance, thoughts, opinions, suggestions.

-Tom

Comments (34)