SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
ajcn

Looking for article on minimal cooking tools, lost it & want to find

AJCN
2 years ago

Hey guys, so about 3 years ago I was remodeling my Dad's vacation house kitchen and as part of it I was in charge of replacing all his pots/pans and cooking tools. I wanted to keep it pretty simple and as I was researching I came across an on-line article written by a chef. In the article this chef explained that he was moving across the country from I think NY to CA. They were driving, with kids I think and all their belongings were going to be arriving quite a long time after they got to their new home. So he wanted to pack the bare minimum, but just enough, into a cardboard box of the cooking supplies he would need until all their stuff arrived. As I remember it, he said he could do almost everything with a cast iron skillet, a high-sided stainless soup pot, 1 or 2 knives, and I can't remember beyond that. I didn't go bare-minimum in my Dad's kitchen, but this article was interesting to me so I saved it. But I lost it bc it was on my old computer which got toasted in a fire.

Does this description of the article ring a bell with anyone? I really want to find that article again. It would be so useful to me right now. I have taught all 4 of my kids to cook, and they are very good independent cooks, but they have the luxury of a fully (probably more than necessary) equipped kitchen. My oldest son is about to go to the Navy. He is an excellent shopper, prepper and cook. But the Navy moves people around so much that I want to find this article for him bc they pretty much have to carry everything on their backs for the first couple years when they get moved from here to there. And in the future he's going to probably be in a situation similar to the chef that wrote the article; going somewhere far away with your family, and your stuff arrives months later. I would like to show him what the bare minimum of stuff you need to be able to cook almost anything. The article was excellent.

Comments (21)

Sponsored
NME Builders LLC
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars2 Reviews
Industry Leading Kitchen & Bath Remodelers in Franklin County, OH