November 2021 - What are we reading?
4 years ago
Featured Answer
Sort by:Oldest
Comments (85)
- 4 years ago
- 4 years ago
Related Discussions
What are we reading - November 2019
Comments (143)This morning I finished The Giver of Stars. Over all I enjoyed it, and give it a solid 4. I really liked the women who were part of the pack horse library. One thing that bothered me a bit was some anachronistic language. I've encountered it in other period books (this is set in 1937-38) and it always makes me wish an editor had caught it. Two examples in this book: "She went there" as to bring up a sensitive subject, and "bug" as to bother. I wasn't sure of the origin of either but they sounded too contemporary. The first is from the 1990s and the latter from late 40s swing music. I realize this is kinda picky but it broke the mood a bit. ETA: I'm sorry, but I hate the expression "chick lit." Had I read it described that way, I'd have never considered reading it....See MoreWhat are we reading -- Feb 2021 Edition
Comments (94)Bunny, thanks for sharing your thoughts about The Four Winds. It’s been sitting on my kindle as a library loan for over a week but I’m torn as to whether I want to read it. The historical background interests me, and I love reading books that teach me about something I didn’t previously know. I think Hannah’s books are written to have broad appeal, and as a result, not necessarily be well written. I read The Nightingale and though I enjoyed it, I think I gave it a 3 star rating as I had to suspend belief for certain things that happened. Same with The Great Alone. I was incredibly disappointed with how that one ended, among other things. I have also had the same experience with the Amazon First Reads selections - many are poorly written yet get rave reviews. One book that people constantly rave about is The Tattooist of Auschwitz, another book that was written to appeal to the masses. I felt it read like a screenplay, and some parts were downright unbelievable, even though it was based on a real life story. To me, it was awful (I later found out the author was actually a screenwriter - now it made sense!) I have read a lot of WWII historical fiction, and have read many better books than Nightingale and Tattooist,, but these books are much more popular. I haven’t decided whether I will end up reading The Four Winds. I have three other hardback library books to get through and two others from the library waiting to be checked out on my kindle. I may let it go back unread since I have enough to keep me occupied for now. Had these others not suddenly become available in the meantime, I probably would have read it for sure. But I did wonder if the reviews on Goodreads were a lot of hype so thanks for the honest review!...See MoreWhat are we reading? April 2021 Edition
Comments (64)Just finishing The Upside of Hunger, an excellent true tale that has been hard to put down. Though part of it takes place during WWII, that is not the primary focus of the story. From Amazon: Book Overview This description may be from another edition of this product. "Beautiful, shocking, at times painful... the magnificently told story of a man who triumphed over the limitations of history to become his greatest self."Fans of All the Light We Cannot See, The Nightingale, and Unbroken will enjoy this riveting true story of history, suspense, and beating the odds.The life he was born into was too small for Adam Baumann. But would escaping Hungary cost him everything?Based on a true story shared with the author over 400+ recorded interviews, this is the epic tale of a young man's survival as the world plunged into the darkest days of WW2.Growing up in an isolated village in eastern Hungary between the great wars, Adam couldn't remember a time he hadn't yearned for more excitement, more freedom, and often more food. Locked up for theft at age nine, Adam's life took one tumultuous turn after another as Hitler plunged Europe into war.From a 12-year-old runaway searching for food, to a 15-year-old shivering in the mud of a frozen foxhole on the Eastern Front, Adam's survival hung in the balance. When a Russian bullet found it's mark, Adam was catapulted into a series of captures and narrow escapes from enemy forces while Europe reeled from the final destruction and horror of WW2.Never standing still, Adam struggled through war-torn landscapes to find his family, and began to build a life from the ashes, until the results of a medical examination at an American Embassy in Germany changed the course of his future forever....See MoreWhat are we reading? June 2021 Edition
Comments (77)I just finished The Things We Cannot Say by Kelly Rimmer. I found it to be a mixed bag of a compelling pre-WWII story, intense and beautiful, narrated in mediocre writing, juxtaposed with the challenges of current modern day descendant. The latter parts about the current day granddaughter and her family were subpar, pat, flat. Both in writing and content. The parts about Alina, the young Polish woman were far superior in quality, even with the relatively unskilled writing. Reminded me of Before We Were Yours by Lisa Wingate, in the way the older generation’s childhood and youth felt like they were from a different book than the parts about the descendamts — so starkly different in authenticity, intensity and writing. 2.5 or 3 stars. (Could be higher.)...See More- 4 years agolast modified: 4 years ago
- 4 years ago
- 4 years ago
- 4 years ago
- 4 years ago
- 4 years ago
- 4 years ago
- 4 years ago
- 4 years ago
- 4 years ago
- 4 years ago
- 4 years ago
- 4 years ago
- 4 years ago
- 4 years ago
- 4 years ago
- 4 years agolast modified: 4 years ago
- 4 years ago
- 4 years ago
- 4 years ago
- 4 years ago
- 4 years ago
- 4 years ago
- 4 years ago
- 4 years ago
- 4 years ago
- 4 years ago
- 4 years ago
- 4 years agolast modified: 4 years ago
- 4 years agolast modified: 4 years ago
- 4 years ago
- 4 years ago
- 4 years ago
- 4 years agolast modified: 4 years ago
- 4 years ago
- 4 years ago
- 4 years ago
- 4 years ago
- 4 years ago
- 4 years ago
- 4 years ago
- 4 years ago
- 4 years ago
- 4 years ago
- 4 years agolast modified: 4 years ago
- 4 years ago
Related Stories

HOUZZ TV LIVE5 Highlights From the Most Popular Houzz Photos of Spring 2021
See and read about standout details from photos featured in our latest Trending Now series
Full Story
HOUZZ PRODUCT NEWSLandscape Pros Share Their Business Plans for 2021
Adding staff, investing in marketing and staying flexible are ways landscape pros are ramping up for the year
Full Story0

LATEST NEWS FOR PROFESSIONALS10 Design Trends From the Fall 2021 High Point Market
Curvaceous shapes, light woods, gilded surfaces and plush fabrics are among the looks on tap at the furniture trade show
Full Story
INSIDE HOUZZTop Takeaways From the 2021 U.S. Houzz Kitchen Trends Study
Storage is a major focus, the open-concept floor plan is losing steam, and project scope is scaling back
Full Story
EVENTS10 Furniture Trends From the Fall 2021 High Point Market
Curvaceous shapes, light woods, gilded surfaces and plush fabrics are among the looks on tap at the design trade show
Full Story
DATA WATCHHome Remodeling Firms Mixed on Market Outlook in Q1 2021
Firms report a positive outlook overall, with construction firm expectations tempered, the Q1 Houzz Barometer shows
Full Story
MONTHLY HOME CHECKLISTSTo-Dos: Your November Home Checklist
Give your home a festive holiday air without running out of steam, and stay safe and snug as temperatures drop
Full Story
MONTHLY HOME CHECKLISTSTo-Dos: Your November Home Checklist
Winterize your home and yard, and make a game plan for the holidays
Full Story
MONTHLY HOME CHECKLISTSNovember Checklist for a Smooth-Running Home
Prep for holiday entertaining and the onslaught of winter to enjoy a healthy home and a relaxed mood
Full StorySponsored
Columbus Design-Build, Kitchen & Bath Remodeling, Historic Renovations


yoyobon_gw