SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
usfbran

contractor wants more $, any suggestions?

2 years ago

We are in the middle of a bathroom remodel. Contract is for $10.5k, and is mostly labor. One thing the contract does fully include is a custom fabricated glass shower door and installation.

We bought the vanity, cabinet, lights, mirror, shower tile, shower fixtures, etc.

Anyway, the agreement with our contractor was 50% of payment due upfront and remaining 50% once job complete.

Out of nowhere, contractor now is asking us for $2k so that he can pay his subcontractor to start fabricating the shower door which he says takes 10 days.

He claims he “tried to pay the shower door guy“ when we first made our 50% down payment, but that the shower door guy wouldn’t take his money yet. He claims that now the contractor no longer has the money… (as if it just turned to dust...) So apparently he spent money that was supposed to be for our job on something else. He’s a nice guy, but I don’t feel comfortable advancing an additional 2k to our contractor before work done as this is not what we agreed, especially when he’s already admitted to mismanaging funds.

I offered what I thought was a fair compromise, that I will pay the $2k he’s requesting directly to shower door guy- that way I can at least be assured the money is going to our job.

But contractor doesn’t want to do that, insisting that the shower door guy won’t take payment from a homeowner… I don’t think he even asked.

On top of that, I feel uncomfortable as our contractor mentioned to me in several conversations near the beginning of our job, that another job he just finished went bad as the homeowner refused to pay him $2500 in change orders and extra supplies he bought, and as a result he couldn’t pay one of his subcontractors… oddly enough, that subcontractor he couldn’t pay worked day 1 on my job too, then mysteriously quit.

All of these things add up to me not wanting to hand over an additional 20% payment on the job prematurely.

I don’t think I am being unreasonable, am I?? This is not what we agreed to.

Does anyone have any other suggestions or solutions I could propose?

Comments (17)