SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
dan547362

Floor uneven-contractor wants to charge more

dan547362
13 years ago

We are having new kitchen tile installed. When they removed the old tile they commented that it was harder to remove and more uneven underneath than they had expected.

This is according to the installers (independent contractors). We had signed the contract with the tile store and knew nothing about the installers, just that they were "very good" according to the tile store.

Now the installers are saying that they need more thinset, etc to build up the tile where it is uneven and that it is taking longer than they thought. I did see that the pieces of the original tile came off in small pieces rather than larger chunks.

I spoke to the tile store and they told me that some jobs are harder than others and that just happens. It also sounded like they meant for the installers just to do it and not pursue extra $. But the installers told us that the store said for us to work things out with the installers.

The installers want about 10% more of the total price--a lot of money.

Is this standard procedure? I had no idea that our floor was uneven. I did ask the store before we signed the contract if there were "any" possibilities of additional "unknown" costs once they started and they said no.

Is this common procedure or are they trying to just get some more $ from us? It sounds like they asked the store to pay them some $ and they said no so they are coming to us. Thanks.

Comments (7)