SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
melanie1121

Eng. Wood floor Installers, Need advice uneven floor

melanie1121
15 years ago

Hi, I need advice!

This question is for all engineered wood floor installers: Is there any other way to even out an uneven concrete slab other than pouring more concrete? I would also like your opinion in general regarding the situation at hand.

Details and photo:

I just purchased a beautiful Mercier engineered wood floor that can be either stapled, glued or floated. The floor is being delivered today and I opted for the glue down installation in my original agreement with my contractor. It will be going over a concrete floor (first floor),AND onto a plywood floor which is the extended part of the house. The transition from the concrete to the plywood extension is the most uneven portion, though my contractor says there are other areas of my floor that have "dips and dings" (not visible to my eye). A few weeks ago the contractor told me that I required "patching" and he would charge me $400 dollars additional (which I agreed to).

All of a sudden, my contractor (yesterday) informs me that he brought his installer to my home (just to review everying once again before the installation) and the installer said my floor isnt level. He asked if I would consider tile instead of wood? (no way!) My contractor NOW says he believes I need to pour concrete on my entire first floor to level the floor prior to the installation. He estimates this would cost an additional $3500! (I must have "idiot" written on my forehead). I asked if we switch to a floating floor or plywood underlayment if that would make a difference....his installer said "no, leveling is still required".

When I told him that and additional $3500 is out of the question and asked WHY this wasn't discussed initially (the floor had been exposed for a few months), he said he did a "final review" with the installer and this was determined. He also said there is another way of doing it by hand (leveling glue? as well as sanding down the plywood) which would be approxinately half price ($1500). He will give me both prices (pouring concrete and leveling by hand).

I never installed an engineered wood floor before. Does this sound reasonable OR is he trying to squeeze out extra money at the 11th hour? By the way, my kitchen cabinets are sitting in a warehouse waiting for delivery and as mentioned the wood floor is coming tomorrow. I really dont want to bring another installer into the "mix" because this guy is contracted to install my kitchen and has done very nice work in my home thus far. I'm concerned also that "sanding" the plywood would weaken the integrity of that portion of the floor. Any advice is greatly appreciated. Is there another way to even out an uneven concrete slab other than pouring more concrete? See photo below of the most uneven portion of the floor where the concrete slab meets the plywood extension on the house. Thanks so much for your consideration, Melanie 1121

Comments (5)

Sponsored
Fourteen Thirty Renovation, LLC
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars23 Reviews
Professional Remodelers in Franklin County Specializing Kitchen & Bath