SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
plllog

Salt FDA edition

plllog
2 years ago
last modified: 2 years ago

I've always had issues with the quantity of salt in "out" food. I puff up. :) Sometimes, especially at what is supposed to be "fine" dining, there has been such an overwhelming flavor of salt that I haven't been able to eat the food. There were a few months over the Summer when I had an injury and couldn't cook so used a lot of components from grocery stores and did bring in cooked chickens and the like--I gained 10 pounds of saltwater. It only took a few days of home cooking to drain that all off. Therefore, and knowing about the medical issues associated with it, I was glad when the FDA said to cut it out. I've already seen a difference--amazing how fast the response has been.

Have you noticed it?

I had a social dinner with Mr. Picky after a trying day, so we just picked up dinner from a neighborhood hangout. I had the braised shortribs which are usually fantastic. They were utterly bland. When I make braised shortribs, I don't use a salt rub or anything, but they have flavor. I think the place just took out the salt but didn't adjust the recipe.

Then there was a small group delivered lunch (eaten where there wasn't a working kitchen) from a fabulous Middle Eastern place. The food was lovely, but one guy just got fries. I asked him how they were and he said, "Fine. After I salted them!" At least there was salt there. :) I don't make French fries, but even I know you're supposed to salt them hot and glistening so the salt sticks. And potatoes without any salt at all are awfully bland. But omitting them from the fries is an easy way to cut salt, and if you slather them with ketchup or other condiment (which the guy eating them did not--he eats them straight) there's probably enough salt in the sauce.

Today, I was on a twice per year trek to which I didn't think to bring a lunch, so I got drive through. The less salt in the burger was noticeable, as in, boy!, it tastes like beef! And in the breaded and fried side, which was previously salt forward, one could taste onion and pepper in the coating and it was just fine with little to no salt. A success!

That's more out food than I usually have in a month, but interesting as test cases. Some tweaks may be needed, but generally I think it was successful.

Comments (18)