SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
breezygirl_gw

KAW Margarita Edition

breezygirl
11 years ago

I'm celebrating passing my final inspection today with margaritas tonight! I've been on a margarita kick since the new year and have tried out a few great recipes. I'm making cocktails based on produce seasonally available. I thought I might share some pics and recipes since I know there are other margarita-philes out there too.

Tangerine Spice

1.5 oz blue agave reposado tequila
1 oz fresh tangerine juice
1/4 oz fresh lime juice
3/4 oz spiced triple sec*
1/4 oz light organic agave syrup

Party Pitcher:
1 1/2 C tequila as above
1 C fresh tangerine juice
1/4 C fresh lime juice
3/4 C spiced triple sec*
1/4 C agave as above
(Mix in pitcher and refrigerate covered for 2 hrs.)

Shake in cocktail shaker with 6-8 ice cubes and pour into glass rimmed in Allspice Salt.*

*Spiced triple sec:
1 cup triple sec
1/4 t cracked black pepper
1 t cracked allspice berries
2 whole cloves, cracked
1/2" piece of cinnamon stick crushed into small bits

A spice grinder comes in very handy for this. Combine in a bowl or bottle, cover and let stand for 24 hours to infuse. Strain out spice bits.

*Allspice salt:
1/4 cup kosher salt
1/4 cup sugar
1 T ground allspice
This makes a lot so you can adjust downwards if you'd like.

{{gwi:1755088}}

Meyer Lemon Margaritas

1.5 oz Meyer lemon tequila*
1 oz fresh Meyer lemon juice
3/4 oz triple sec
1/2 oz (or slightly more if you want a bit sweeter) Meyer lemon simple syrup*

Party Pitcher:
1 1/2 C Meyer lemon tequila*
1 C Meyer lemon juice
3/4 C triple sec
1/2 C Meyer lemon simple syrup*

Shake in cocktail shaker with 6-8 ice cubes.

*Meyer lemon tequila:
Use vegetable peeler to remove large strips of zest only in of 8 Meyer lemons. Place in glass jar and cover with one 750-ml bottle of blue agave blanco tequila. Gently jiggle jar a couple of times per day with lid on. Let stand for 4 days and strain.

*Meyer lemon simple syrup:
Use vegetable peeler to remove large strips of zest from 2 Meyer lemons. Place in saucepan with 1 cup sugar and 1/2 cup water. Set over medium heat and stir until sugar is dissolved. When boiling, reduce heat to low and simmer 2 minutes. Cool. Strain.

{{gwi:1755089}}

Pineapple Margarita with Jicama, Cucumber and Chile

1.5 oz blue agave reposado tequila
3/4 oz fresh lime juice
3/4 oz triple sec
1.5 oz pineapple puree*

Party Pitcher:
1 1/2 C tequila as above
3/4 C fresh lime juice
3/4 C triple sec
1 1/2 C pineapple puree*

Shake in cocktail shaker with 6-8 ice cubes and pour into glass rimmed with Guajillo salt.* Garnish with cucumber spear and jicama stick, which help counteract the spiciness of the chile salt when munched.

*Pineapple puree:
3.5 cups of 1" pineapple cubes, either from a can or fresh pineapple
1/2 cup sugar
1/2 cup water

Pulse in blender until fruit is finely chopped, then process until smooth and foamy--about one minute. Strain.

*Guajillo salt:
Mix one part crushed or powdered guajillo chile to 2 parts kosher salt. (I couldn't find crushed chile so I bought dried and crushed my own in my spice grinder.)

Yes, all of these are a lot of work to make, but the pay off is so worth it. They are absolutely yummy. I make the party pitcher sized recipe instead of mixing them individually. (I can provide those measures if you're interested.) All have held well in a pitcher in the fridge over night if the entire batch wasn't consumed in one evening, although the fresh tangerine juice tastes a little different the next day.

It helps to have a kitchen slave for the juicing. ;)

{{gwi:1755091}}

Next week is Sparkling Ginger Margaritas if I can round up some fresh kaffir lime leaves. Going into spring, I'll be looking at a Black Current-Rhubarb combo!

This post was edited by breezygirl on Thu, May 9, 13 at 22:23

Comments (19)