SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
mr_bill_m

There's something to be said for smaller plants.

Bill M.
2 years ago

"Hi, my name is Bill and I collect plants"

"Hi Bill"

"The reason I made this meeting tonight is because I can't help myself"

"We know Bill, that's why we're here too. Together we'll try to help you, but you have to want it yourself"

"I know, but it's soooo difficult."

"Why don't you tell us what's bothering you Bill"

"Well, this is difficult, but I'll try. I've been an avid plant collector all my life. I can't begin to tell you how much money I've spent on plants"

"Yes, we understand, we've all been there, now, please go on"

"Every year, actually almost every month, week, ok, day, I see an different plant and think I gotta have that, or that one looks interesting, or a friend on a forum recommended something and I say to myself maybe I'll try growing it. Well, what typically happens is I get the plant, and it grows like crazy. It grows huge. The leave fill out, they spread, they take over areas I was hoping to put smaller plants in. Before I know it I'm out of room. I need larger pots, more soil, it never ends"

"That's happened to a lot of us Bill"

"Anyway, I'm thinking about rethinking my philosophy on plants. Maybe smaller is better. Smaller plants would be easier to arrange. Smaller plants would be easier, much easier to water. Smaller plants would be easier to spot mealies, or other detrimental insects. Smaller plants would take up less room. Wait a minute! If I had smaller plants, and they took up less room, I could buy more plants, more smaller plants, and fill thos"

"Bill - STOP! You're starting to regress into your plant addict self. Stop now and breath...take a drink of water... good, now you ready? OK, continue"

"Thanks - I was about to say that smaller plants being smaller could be reached easier and monitored easier and not have huge pots all around creating tiny little passage ways for me to walk or more the case recently, stumble through. I think smaller is better in this case doncha think"

"Bill - what are you going to do when the smaller plants grow. For instance, hoyas. They'll start out small, but in a season or two the vines will spread all over the place, effectively becoming a big plant. What will you do then Bill? Philodendrons tend to start out small Bill, but they too grow well under the right conditions and become huge. What then Bill? Have you thought this out?"

"Now you've got me confused - can I have one of those brownies please? Yeah those, thanks. So as I was saying - i just don't know. What are all of you doing about your plants? Unlike ancient Chinese practices, I can't bind their feet, so they continue to grow. Do you have any suggestions? What do most of you have and think?"

Well folks - what say ye?

Comments (21)

Sponsored