SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
amy_wilson955

Is even white granite now outdated?!??

Amy Wilson
2 years ago
last modified: 2 years ago

We are building a new house and I recently selected a beautiful slab of white granite (Dallas White). Now I am reading that most granite is completely outdated unless it looks like marble or a solid color. Have I chosen a countertop that will not be timeless?? Picture of slab and what my backsplash will look like. Should I make a different selection?

Comments (109)

• tonisallis
    2 years ago

Buy whatever you like. It really won’t matter because the trends change all the time. I have a friend who still loves her Corian.

• PRO
    Beth H. :
    2 years ago

Amy, I would caution you getting a level 1 granite that you can't view. You won't be happy.

What is standard, with no upcharge? Get that. No backsplash.

Move in. Go to a stone yard and pick what you like at your leisure. (plus, you'll get a lot more for your money. builders make their money on upgrades)

After you find the stone you like and get it installed, then do you tile splash.

I don't know what they're charging you for the level one granite, but for something like that you can purchase an entire slab for about $1000.

How big is your countertop area? do you also have an island?

In any case, go w/the standard option and redo it a few months after you move. It's not ideal, but at least you can get the granite that you want. And there are so many other beautiful granite slabs on the market now! Quartzite too.

This is that Alaska White (white Ice) I mentioned. It's not that expensive.

Infinity Quartzite

Taj Majal quartzite (this one is more of an exotic and priced in the 3K region.)

looks beautiful w/white cabs.

if you'll be living in this home for a few years, then be patient and try doing it like this. I urge you NOT to settle!

• Related Discussions

Got new granite....now what?

Q

Comments (22)
    I think I'd wait to decide on the cabs until after the wallpaper is down also. your cab pulls/knobs don't have to match the faucet. you might get them in ORB to tie in with the black of the table. If your mom likes a fan over the table there are great new ones at HD for 100.00 or less. The wiring is already there so it shouldn't be hard or expensive to change it. they come with remotes too. If you/she changes the cooktop to a black one that would tie in the black also. I'm frugal also and wouldn't change other appliances if they are still working. If you paint the cabs black with a black table, bench etc and wood floors it will be too much dark unless you go with a light wood floor. that would still be too dark for me. There are cabs painted white, cream, green, blue, yellow, grey, etc on this forum. They look great. you all might decide on a color rather than black or a wood stain. I'd try to figure that out before painting the walls. If you keep them as they are (look nice to me) or a light wood tone then tan walls might be too much in the 'beigey - boring' category. Think about the cabs being a cream color with dark wood floor, black appliances and that granite.
    ...See More

Placed Granite Order Today, Now I've Changed my Mind-please help

Q

Comments (20)
    I use American Express for all major purchases because they are so good at resolving disputes in favor of the consumer. If you really want to try to get out of the contract, then you should write a nice but firm letter to the company today. Do it today, because some states allow you to rescind a home improvement related contract within a certain time period (it could be 72 hours or less, if your state has such a law). Send it via both fax and certified mail so you have proof of how soon after you ordered the product you canceled it. (The fax guarantees they receive it today, but the formality of certified mail sometimes carries more weight.) I would use language like the following: "Dear _______: As you know from our conversation in your store this morning, I am very concerned that the Kashmir White granite I ordered from your company will be too susceptible to staining to use as kitchen counters. I appreciate that you gave me a sample of sealed Kashmir White to take home to test. I took the sample home and promptly tested it with food samples. Unfortunately, certain food products stained the sample easily; therefore, the product is not suitable for my stated intended use as kitchen counters. As I told you this morning, I would like to cancel the contract for Kashmir White counters and request that you reverse the charge for my $________ deposit. Because I am canceling within 48 hours [change time period if necessary] and before any templating or other work has been performed, I believe you should return my entire deposit." If you have to dispute the charge with Mastercard, the letter and proof of when it was mailed and faxed may help your case. The letter establishes that you promptly notified the merchant that the product would not be suitable for your intended use before the merchant did any work, and you had the slab on reserve for a very short period of time, so the merchant is not harmed by your cancellation. There is no guarantee this will work, but it is what I would do. Good luck.
    ...See More

red dragon granite, outdated cabinets

Q

Comments (29)
    I like your granite. It is a beautiful stone. I just wonder why they didn't put this on the island? Sure you space needs a little update but this was a popular and pretty style to mix the light picked or whitewashed cabs with a dramatic stone. I love your deep single bowl sink. Hold on to your $1000 and start planning. It seems tempting to tackle this with a small amount but in reality you may need that money towards new appliances or an upgrade on something. I took a good 6 months to plan my space and then had to make some adjustments in regards to my budget. Dream vs Reality. Start collecting your ideas and decide what you love about your space and what you want to keep or toss. How do you like the function of your space? What is an eye sore about it, just the counters? How much will you be able to spend? Are you keeping the layout? The water in it's current location? What is your style? Is it contemporary? Modern? YOu might want to see how you can update this kitchen to go with the house and your dream. In time you will have a plan of what you want to do with your space.
    ...See More

Do you think this look is outdated or will be outdated soon?

Q

Comments (31)
    I love that shade! I would probably pair it with a pale blue or blue-green that has a slight similar undertone on the walls, along with the white counter. Here is a kitchen posted a few years ago that used a very similar color in the lowers. The walls are painted in Sherwin Williams Compatible Cream, the trim in Creamy... I wouldn't choose those paint colors myself though.
    ...See More
  • PRO
    Beth H. :
    2 years ago

They even have slabs of porcelain that look like marble. this is Panda Porcelain, and the full slab is about 2K.

Here's a granite that has been leathered. a lot of granites take on a diff appearance when leathered or honed.

someone mentioned Steel Gray granite.

polished steel gray. heck, in my area I could get you this countertop pre-fab, in a 9' length, for about $500. all you need is someone to cut it and install it, (another 800-1k).

when leathered, it takes on a whole diff look

that's something that you can do to lesser quality granites, in order to get a better look from them.

Take this Colonial White granite. normally it's just blah when polished, but leathered:

super cool. This could also be River White (that granite has about 5 diff names!)

This one is called Blue Dunes

This one is Silver Cloud, also entry level. (Check out Shadow Storm too)

looks cool leathered or honed.

This is Blue Roma (they have a white version IT's a gorgeous stone. google it.

or, look at the Fantasy Macaubas quartzite. I've seen a slab at my place for 2K.

Just one of many other options available to you for not much more than the price the builder is charging you for something he paid peanuts for.

ALWAYS demand to view your slab. You are paying for it! Why shouldn't you get to view it before it's cut for your kitchen?? That's just ridiculous of them to say that. you know those slabs that they get prob cost them 200 bucks. That's how inexpensive they are. you will get the speckled one, so don't do it! just wait

• Amy Wilson
    Original Author
    2 years ago

Thank you Beth for your advice. Greatly appreciated!

• Francine Hughes
    2 years ago

Funny as this topic came up on Nextdoor yesterday and it seems the flavor of 2021 is Quartzite which is similar to granite. I remodeled 10 years ago and did granite ( lots of movement pattern) and it has been only recently I have thought of changing it out. I may be in a minority, but I have quartz countetops in my bathrooms and i love the look but not sure I would love it in the kitchen. Interesting, that even though I think the granite is dated, everyone who comes in my home comments on my beautiful "new" kitchen. After 5-6 years almost everthing is deemed dated by the retailers and designers. But just think low low ride jeans are coming back!🙀

• User
    2 years ago

I have white granite with tons of movement. I think it was called arctic cream...as if names mean anything anyway. I loved it from the moment I saw it in the stone yard, almost 10 years ago. I still love it just as much today.

It does not matter to me if someone else thinks it is "dated. " (I hate that word but that's a rant for another day. Ha.) I loved it when I bought it and I still love it today. One of the best things about getting old is the desire to chase trends fades away. I only care about pleasing myself. 😊

• cda1028
    2 years ago

What’s your own personal style? What do you like? What makes you and the people you live with and invite over comfortable and happy? Each person is unique and we should all appreciate that.
    And always ask yourself “who wants me to buy this and why?”

• vinmarks
    2 years ago

@Beth H. : Level 1 granites are cheaper but not lesser quality. I have steel gray and it is bullet proof. Ive had Uba Tuba and again bullet poof. I think using the wording lesser quality is misleading.

• hollywaterfall
    2 years ago

Things I am NOT looking for in a new house: Gold or avocado appliances; Red painted kitchen walls; pink tiled bathroom; checkerboard patterned kitchen or bath flooring. Things I AM looking for: a pulled together look. I like the look of your kitchen pictures and think it IS pulled together and not dated. Do what you like unless it is any of the above bc those things ARE dated.

• Rachel
    2 years ago

I agree @vinmarks, and sometimes those older granites are the most bullet proof. In my last home, I had blue pearl with a contemporary white cabinet. The stone looked perfect the day I sold my house 26 years later. And blue pearl is so dense it won't take a sealer. I wanted a different look so I went with thunder white granite. It's very pretty and more en trend today, but it does need to be sealed.

• Nancy LaRocca
    2 years ago

I bet you never thought you'd get so many suggestions!! But you do need to go in steps, if you love the granite get it, but wait to do your backsplash until everything is in...You have more choices than you can imagine and can bring every tile home and tape it up, and then decide. The backsplash will tie it all together, and if the granite has been

"around for a while" or more "dated in today's decor world" you can bring it to another level by using a cool simple cream or light solid subway tile in a brick or herringbone style. Grout is minimal in subway tile, but pick the color that is most dominant in your granite to your eye. You can't go wrong.

Amy Wilson thanked Nancy LaRocca
  • nolanirvana
    2 years ago

@Mrs Pete, I would love suggestions on how to work with a granite countertop that I would like to replace. It is a dark granite- hard to see dirt, etc because it is so dark. It was in the house when we bought it 15 years ago. It also has a dated tile back splash that would never have been my choice . I have thought of replacing those but it would be so $$$$. My husband and I are not handy so diy projects are not an option. Any suggestions for me?

• nancy
    2 years ago

We built a house and i intentionally stayed away from anything ”trendy.” Granite is beautiful and durable. Get what you like because even if you sell the house theres no way of predicting what the buyers will like!

• Mark Cochran
    2 years ago

You've gotten some great feedback here, so I don't have much to add, except a few "lessons learned" from my own remodels/purchases:

• If the counter is busy, keep the backsplash simple.
    • Whatever you choose, the color(s) should feel right to you, whether it's current or not. In fact, go with a palette that represents your favorite colors (like for me, I love autumn, so I like grays with oranges, blues, yellows, etc.).
    • If "safe" is boring to you, by all means, don't do "safe" - go with brass fixtures if you like them, hang a chandelier above your island, install a custom vent hood in copper if that suits you, etc. The most important thing is you are happy and your style is represented
    • And lastly, take your time (if you can) to make the right choices. Good luck! :)
    Amy Wilson thanked Mark Cochran
  • salonva
    2 years ago

Well I am not Mrs Pete, but @nolanirvana if you can take a picture and share it you will get some good suggestions.

• Melanie Lynn
    2 years ago

we built a home and moved in 5 years ago. We had an architect and a local builder. It's likely one of the last true "stick built" houses in our area as it's becoming too expensive with regard to the valuation if you're using a mortgage/construction loan. The architect was very hopped up on the quartz countertops so that was what we specified. The cabinet maker subcontracted the counters to someone else who messed up our order, as in he forgot to place it. We were livid but it turned out to be a serendipitous event because we were already living in the house at that point and simply needed counters as soon as possible. We were using the one sink in the house which was in the laundry room with a butcher block counter. As it turns out, there's a small business near us who specializes in providing counters for health care facilities using Corian. We both were tired of Corian and it certainly wasn't something new and exciting. But I looked at the samples and immediately chose 2 patterns for 2 of the bathrooms. The third pattern would be for the kitchen and the mudroom bathroom which is just off the kitchen. I brought several samples home to decide and we placed the original sample of the quartz we had selected months ago. The house has an entire bank of clerestory windows as well as a giant sunroom attached to the kitchen so it's an incredibly bright space on sunny days. I was horrified when I saw how the little mica like flakes in the quartz glistened in the bright light and was SO grateful that the contractor had not placed the order. I would have HATED them even though they were very trendy. Some people snicker when I tell them we used Corian and make passive aggressive comments about being "budget conscious" (lol no) and are always surprised when I inform them that the Corian was actually more expensive than the original specs and A LOT more expensive than the crummy granite offered by the local building goods store. Our house is a mid century modern revival, specifically Usonian. Corian looks much more in place in an Usonian revival than granite or quartz. All of this is to say...if you plan to live there for longer than trends last, which is usually 5ish years, then pick what YOU like. For us, the architecture made design choices very easy because, for the most part, if something was "trendy" we knew it most likely would not harmonize in a house that was designed to look over half a century old. Wide dark wood planks were pushed but we opted for classic gunstock oak traditional narrow width. Same for light fixtures, faucets, kitchen cabinets etc. It's YOUR home so finish it in a manner that makes you happy to come home. Good luck!

• renmaxbd
    2 years ago

Halseym, thank you for your input. Your design ideas for mid-mod make so much sense. We will be renovating a mid-mod over the coming year, and want to stay as true to the original look as possible, while using better quality components. Using Corian had not crossed my mind, but wow, what a perfect choice. This is the reason I read through the comments at Houzz. Thanks!

• PRO
    Focal Point Hardware
    2 years ago

Granite is very sturdy and very practical. that being said, if you want the granite to be more timeless, i suggest you go with something a little less busy. stick to one or two color grains. this will give you the best of the both worlds. timeless and sturdy good quality item.

Amy Wilson thanked Focal Point Hardware
  • Christine Botti
    2 years ago

Don’t go by what everyone says or today’s fad always do what you love , you want it to be when you walk into that room you get a big smile on your face😉

• PRO
    COCo
    2 years ago

No no and no. You chose 110% correct. A stone that can be used in the kitchen is granite 
    2 marbles that I know are absolut -black, Vermont Green. I do not know another one, but I could be wrong. The point is you chose what can go on a kitchen counter top and last . The other marbles are too soft and cause problems. 
    Granite is real, some pieces deserve to be the center of attention and celebrated. They were dug out of nature , cut, moved, trimmed, sent to become slabs ,then cut polished and finally bright and beautiful brought to you . Wow how magical . Enjoy the one you chose.

• PRO
    Beth H. :
    2 years ago

vinmarks, you're right. lesser quality wasn't the best term. inexpensive is what I meant. And yes, they are bullet proof. Orange formica was also bullet-proof, but that doesn't mean people still want to look at it every day! I just happen to think granites like baltic brown, santa cecelia, almond mauve, et all, are ugly. they were the original granites in the late 90's, so they've had their day. time to move on to prettier and better. But hey, if someone likes blue pearl, or steel gray, go for it.

all my advice to her was, 'wait until you move in and go find a countertop that you can fully view'. Being forced to accept something based off a tiny sample is ridiculous.

I'd get the basic, no upcharge countertop, move it, and redo it w/what I wanted (and not have it put into my mortgage so that I'm paying for it for it the next 30 years!)

• grohlfan
    2 years ago

We used Quartz in our recent kitchen remodel, and I love my counters! The Quartzite came in a wide variety of colors too. I would highly recommend this durable, attractive material.
    Good Luck!
    Amy

Amy Wilson thanked grohlfan
  • Joanne Payling
    2 years ago

IF you are going to sell your house within three years, then choose whatever is popular with the majority. To watch every single remodeling tv show, it would seem the answer today is (faux marble) manufactured quartz. (Not my style at all!) If you aren’t worried about resale in the near future, then choose what you love. We love our granite choice and will for many years to come. FWIW, we know our backsplash choice is a very personal one and not universally popular. But we were designing our kitchen for our enjoyment.
    p.s. VIEW YOUR SLAB/S BEFORE INSTALLATION!!! Do not trust a contractor. We went to a local granite warehouse and bought the two slabs our contractor had installed. I also highly recommend being present when the fabricator lays out the cuts he’s going to make. Granite has so many variations you want to make sure the most beautiful area is what ends up cut and becomes your counter top. Good luck!

Amy Wilson thanked Joanne Payling
  • caroleso
    2 years ago

Amy - that is gorgeous! But the important point is, it is what you love. I have just gotten new kitchen countertops installed and got blue pearl. Yes, an 'old' granite. We had it in a condo on the beach that we sold about 6 years ago. And guess what, we don't have that condo and I still love blue pearl, and this is my house for the forseeable future, so there you have it. We did go directly to the warehouse to inspect the slab. And it is a gorgeous slab, with all sorts of shiny blue and grey flecks and some red iron flecks. We will just paint the backsplash for now in a turquoisey color to bring out the blue. But please view your slab before you commit, as granite is a natural stone and has great variation, even in a stone that is more uniform. Congratulations on your new home!

Amy Wilson thanked caroleso
  • Marilyn
    2 years ago

Just be careful not to choose something that you may tire of in a few years. It’s a big investment. I would select something more simple.

Amy Wilson thanked Marilyn
  • Amy Wilson
    Original Author
    2 years ago

UPDATE - Lots of feedback, appreciate all of the help! I get the point that "stone is best" and quite agree with this. I also concur with many points on here regarding, "do what you love", "it's your house, who cares the trend", etc. All valid arguments and TRUE TRUE TRUE! However, I also agree that a busy granite is not for everyone and I am afraid will eventually not be for me, especially because I cannot pick it out at group 1 and could be stuck with a highly black speckled nightmare, not the one I loved in the showroom.

For this reason, I am leaning toward a newer quartz for my island that I think looks very realistic. I agree, many quartz are fake looking and definitely a trend... but I found.. Calacatta Prado. WOOHOO!! Also not for everyone, but I absolutely LOVE IT!!!

Now it is a matter of finding it somewhere as inventory is super low right now...

Below is my new color scheme - (top) Poplar custom finished wood for island, large stand alone hood and floating shelves besides hood, (bottom left) Calacatta Prado Quartz for island, (bottom right) Whitney Gray quartz for perimieter with white subway tile and Mapei warm gray grout backsplash to ceiling, (center) SW Westhighland white cabinets and SW Agreeable gray wall color. Again, thanks for all of your input, so grateful for the feedback!

• Mrs Pete
    2 years ago

@MrsPete "We need to find a way to work with "dated" materials rather than rip them because of their color or style." Or install with potential for sustainable material recovery to send to Habitat for Humanity ReStore.

Exactly.

I'm extremely tired of seeing kitchens with "marble like" grantie or quartz.

I've never liked marble or marble-look. It looks old and cold to me.

Dallas White is also known as River white, or could be White Ice. Does your granite have the 'red berrries' in it? if so, it's commonly known as River white or Kasmir White.

I've always liked that stone.

Beth's choices are so beautiful and have much more personality than veined quartz that is being used by everyone. I fear it's going to be the harvest gold/avocado green of these times.

You're probably right. Things that are mega-trendy will one day be mega-out.

Backsplashes will go out of fashion before countertops.

Yes, and backsplashes aren't nearly as expensive to replace as countertops. If you're handy at all, you can even do the labor yourself.

Level 1 granites are cheaper but not lesser quality.

True. It's scarcity /not quality that drives up the cost of granite.

@Mrs Pete, I would love suggestions on how to work with a granite countertop that I would like to replace. It is a dark granite- hard to see dirt, etc because it is so dark. It was in the house when we bought it 15 years ago. It also has a dated tile back splash that would never have been my choice . I have thought of replacing those but it would be so $$$$. My husband and I are not handy so diy projects are not an option. Any suggestions for me?

The easiest thing to change is your attitude towards the granite. The second easiest thing would be to change the backsplash. Show us a picture -- maybe someone will have some good ideas.

• pellzey
    2 years ago

Amy girl, I absolutely LOVE your kitchen…ALL of it! Forget about trends, who the devil cares?! You like what you like. Period. Live, love, eat, drink and be merry…right there in your beautiful kitchen. Enjoy!

Amy Wilson thanked pellzey
  • Kathy Kohler
    2 years ago

Choose what makes YOU happy. Friends come and go!

• Melissa Cunningham
    2 years ago

I think it is classic and beautiful. Remember that even if you choose something else that too will be outdated in just a few years. PUT WHAT YOU LOVE in your house and don't worry about trends because they will come and go! If you love it go for it!

• George
    2 years ago

I understand and agree with "doing what makes you happy" or "doing what you like", but the reason why someone asks these questions here is because they are trying to figure out how to execute what they like.

If I love the color blue and want a blue living room, the blue living I come up with , will look much different (worse?) than the blue living room an experienced interior designer will come up with.

Amy Wilson thanked George
  • H202
    2 years ago

I agree with George. For those who have been doing their research for a year, sure, they should go ahead and do what makes them happy.

But as I understand it, the OP is building a new house in a development - meaning, they are picking finishes from a handful of options offered by the builder. Most folks going this route have never seriously thought about kitchen finishes until the first time they walk in the builder's office and sit down with the choices. So while it is entirely possible that, of all the finishes in the whole world, the OP just happens to love one of the four options offered by the builder..... I'd put my money on, of the four finishes OP was offered, this one is their favorite and they really like it - but have never really considered the alternatives.

That said, I think the choices are quite nice. But (i) per above, this is not likely a case of OP absolutely loving these options to the exclusion of everything else; and (ii) once a builder is offering a finish, it is by definition an overused trend, and one that is already past its peak. A builder option is far, far more likely to become a "dead" trend, and quickly, than most of the choices out there....

Amy Wilson thanked H202
  • Amy Wilson
    Original Author
    2 years ago

@H202 Super well said and exactly on point! That is totally why I am asking for help. I chose the best they had to offer as standard and though I agree would be pretty, I do not mind paying more to get my favorite look and dream kitchen. I want timeless and classic finishes, not necessarily "on trend" but also recognizing a lot of "on trend" finishes can be timeless and classy as well. Once I found out that I cannot pick out my slab because it is standard, no upgrade. I knew I was taking a big risk on the final product, so I appreciate you articulating my dilemma so well. THANK YOU!

• cheri127
    2 years ago

@Amy Wilson You'll be really happy with your quartz choices. I think quartz is really pretty and doesn't look like plastic to me. The only reason I won't use it in the kitchen is because I abuse my counters by puttting hot pans straight off the cooktop and out of the oven onto them and you can't do that with anything but real stone or tile (some say stone will crack but I've lived this way for 30 years in four kitchens and never had a happen.) Plus, DH never wipes up spills etc so we're a stain risk. LOL I hope they can snag some slabs so you aren't delayed. Good luck with your new house.

Amy Wilson thanked cheri127
  • Amy Wilson
    Original Author
    2 years ago

@cheri127, aww thank you so much! I have only had laminate countertops, so always used hot pads, etc. Shouldn't be a problem for me. Appreciate your reply :)

• Beth G
    2 years ago

With all the speckled granites and other patterned surfaces, how do people tell if their counters are clean? I stayed at a friend's house for a few days... then realized there were coffee grounds sprinkled all over the counter that were "camouflaged" by the granite speckles. Or is that the idea, to camouflage dirt so you don't clean as frequently? Ick, I'd rather have a plain, nearly unpatterned surface so I KNOW it's clean!

• artemis_ma
    2 years ago

If you like it, use it. Dated is an old Atari computer. Dated is a washboard.

Style is what YOU like. I'd only concern myself with this sort of thing were I to be flipping my house in the near future. Further down the road, who knows what styles will be. Or if something comes back. Design for YOUR aesthetics!

• artemis_ma
    2 years ago

Bethperson - i prefer patters/speckled countertops. NOT because they hide the coffee grounds, for me, I just think they look prettier. I'm just not into solid color. Lived with that for 25 years in my previous home (Formica). Want to break free of that, here!

• nhb22
    2 years ago

"make sure you pick a tile that isn't the common 3x6 size"

What's wrong with this size?

• Amy Wilson
    Original Author
    2 years ago

@nhb22, totally going with that size. 3x6 subway is as Classic as classic gets! Been wanting it in my kitchen for years...

• vinmarks
    2 years ago

bethperson it's called you clean your counters. I clean my granite island countertop several times a day regardless of what I can see or can't see. It's the area of the kitchen used the most. Whenever I do anything on any of the counters I clean them after. I am pretty sure coffee grounds are not going to kill you.

• PRO
    COCo
    2 years ago

​​Hi

The choices you have made are very nice. Very safe and can be shown off with accessories.

Pick a color that will brighten the choice of a wooden island

• PRO
    COCo
    2 years ago

Hi
    I wrote more and deleted.
    Basic info
    Wood on the island 
    Questions
    What is it made of veneer on mdf or planks cut like butcher block 
    The hardest woods for butcher block top are bamboo, mahogany, teak, oak. Poplar is popular now 
    I like for the client to live with their choices for a week. 
    Take the pieces home and interact.
    What will you put on the wood?
    Is there a sink stovetop.
    Stovetop will splash water 
    Friends will put wine glasses and yes miss the coasters 
    Kids will leave sugary cereal bowls. Milk has sugar and sitting on spoon will eat into whatever is on the top 
    Mineral oil? Urethane food safe, lacquer of sorts 
    FYI
     Granite runs $42-90 sq ft
    Quartz $65-99 sq ft
    Wood $99 and up
    Unless builder is pushing because he is making the top.

The colors are plain.
    A piece custom made from a well known Mosaic Firm will really pop. Pick your colors and they will ship - your style your art or theirs. Blow your mind .
    There must be some 3rd color in the home?
    Are you in hot or cold climate 
    Ie: Nevada Wisconsin South East North east. Cool Warm colors.
    The kitchen is cool so I am guessing warm?
    The mosaic firm is;. NewRavenna.com
    A visit to this site will not disappoint and definitely give you that bit of drama you are missing.
    I hope you consider your wood island one more time.
    Choose one color on the island.
    A dark green base and white granite.
    Paint you can always change 

Sinks

These have come a long way
    Ruvati 33" x 19"-22"
    Ruvati double size if you are a chef kitchen 50" and the toys are great 
    Faucets the one Yita on Hernest.com comes with spray, single line if water. And side one for filtered water or to fill pot of water. Brilliant. I am sure others have this.
    Pot faucet over stovetop the best.
    Finally I have all my kitchen cabinets hang at 22-24" high from countertop 
    Why I do not have to pull blender out to blend an item because I cannot put top on.
    Silly 26" counter and we pull appliances we use daily out?
    Check all the small things.
    We spend a lot of time on paint and granite which are visual 
    We need to spend time on function 
    How tall are you, your husband

Sometimes the top cabinets are never used or what is in them gone till the tag sale 19 years later.
    There are a huge assortment of interiors for shelves and cabinets.
    You can use a hook and the high shelf has a unit that pulls down 
    Garbage Depending upon your community you can have anywhere from 2 recycling to 6.
    Garbage wet, cans, plastic, glass, paper white, newspaper yes comes in the form of colors from all the stores daily.
    Check what you need to recycle. And maybe build in another section a long cabinet tall with large garbage containers and extra cabinets for shoes if in mud room location and you have the space. Garage along wall etc 

Visit the products at home and set glasses on them

Coasters buy the ones that absorb the liquid. Generally unglazed ceramic with cork backs are the best. You can find local ceramic stores and you can put your crest or a pattern you choose on them for fun
     Cork backs not to scratch anything. A large number 48 works. 
    I hope this helps you think of the rest of the area and I hope you do a granite island 
    Choose well you have a lot to think about 
    Lighting, take a look at all the new solar system, fans with Bluetooth for a musical moment when cooking 
    I love kitchens 
    Ovens my last comment if gas stovetop , gas ovens are hard to bake in. Best is french convection the fans start when hot air is in them. 
    Enjoy all the wonderful times spent in your new home.

• Christopher H.
    2 years ago

We just installed Silver Cloud granite. I hated seeing the same exact manufactured pattered marble in almost every new build. It reminds me of when Corian came out and was everywhere. Soapstone is my favorite, but SO expensive now.

• Mrs Pete
    2 years ago

I understand and agree with "doing what makes you happy" or "doing what you like", but the reason why someone asks these questions here is because they are trying to figure out how to execute what they like.

Exactly. "Do what you like" is worthless advice. Who's going to do what he or she doesn't like?

The real question is really about how to mix this-and-that, what's going to balance with an already-made decision, or how to obtain a desired look given various constraints. People are trying to figure out how to get what they like -- and that's not as easy as saying, "Blue makes me happy" or "This granite is my favorite."

Amy Wilson thanked Mrs Pete
  • cheri127
    2 years ago

@Christopher H. I'm in love with your granite!!!!!

• myoldstonehouse
    2 years ago

@Amy Wilson Like anything in life, there are advantages to one choice (granite) over another (corian or soapstone, quartz, etc) and vis versa. Consider your particular situation. Ex. what you do in your kitchen, how much upkeep you want, do you work with foods that stain, etc. I was fortunate enough to be able to design two kitchens in a short time. I chose granite for one & quartz for the other. I am happy with both. I think you were wise to select a simplier pattern because while the inital granite was pretty, many would tire of the busyness over time. While a monotone color scheme is calming, some contrast in color between the counter & backsplash and the cabintry (whether above or below), can be appealing. Look at pictures of kitchens you love. Save them to your ideabook. Go back and look at what you are drawn to then base your decision on what you like (unless you plan to sell soon).

Amy Wilson thanked myoldstonehouse
  • Amy Wilson
    Original Author
    2 years ago

@myoldstonehouse, perfect advice!! will do! Thank you 😊

• Amy Wilson
    Original Author
    last year
    last modified: last year

UPDATE - I ended up going with a Luce Oro Quartz by MetroQuartz for my island and Ash Gray Quartz on the perimeter counter. It turned out beautifully and I do feel it will be a more timeless look than my original granite choice, especially once I saw how busy and speckled the granite slabs were I had to choose from...

• sushipup2
    last year

Good job! I will say that the description of your original choice as "white" is a serious misnomer.

Amy Wilson thanked sushipup2