SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
plllog

Zombie Pie

plllog
2 years ago

I was planning my first pear pie, and looked at some recipes to make sure there weren't any special handling instructions. When I saw Sally's Baking Addiction, I thought I should try hers. Well, not exactly. I made a variation. I've been trying to make prettier pies, and I loved the look of Sally's tartan. i decided to try her crust because she made it sound good, and she had the combo of butter and shortening, and the vodka, both of which I've tried but not together or in a specific recipe. My go-to Is flour, butter, salt and ice water. No vodka in the house, though, and I had the right amount of bourbon left in a small vessel from another dish, so I used that. For the filling, I did my own thing. Slices rather than bits of pear, with ginger, and just a drizzle of the caramel sauce. I probably should have used more, but didn't want that much sugar.

My usual lattices might be wiggly, but I've never had breakage issues before. Sally's dough rolls well, and cuts easily with a marshmallow wheel and a straight edge (I used my rolling pin).I have a really big offset spatula, which helps with the lifting. As soon as I put the strips down on the pie, though, they started breaking. I didn't want to reroll, hence the seasonal plan to make zombie flesh. ;)

Here's the impotant thing though: While I did use Sally's recipe for the caramel sauce, I don't much like salted caramel. And I never go wrong with the ”feed ’em what you'd want to eat rule.” I only used 1/3 of the salt (originally 1 tsp.) and added about 1/8 tsp. ground cloves and a generous 1/4 tsp. ground cardamom. Toe curlingly good! SO so good!

A sample of the crust tells me it really is very flaky, but even with the butter partner, I can taste the shortening, and I don't like it. I'll keep the recipe for when I want the texture, but I'm going back to my T&T all butter.

But really, really, do try spiced caramel! Really!

Comments (15)

Sponsored
Schlabach Woodworks
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars16 Reviews
Franklin County's Reclaimed Wood Professionals