SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
ericabraun

UPDATE: Spooktacular Halloween Swap (part 2)

EricaBraun
9 years ago

Halloween will be here before we know it! I don't know about you guys, but I love Halloween. Us GardenWebbers might be too old to go trick or treating, but what could be more of a treat to a gardener than a big bag of seeds!

It's time for a Halloween Seed Swap! Fun! Fun! Fun!

Here's some interesting facts about Halloween that I only recently became aware of:
"In England and Ireland, Halloween lanterns were originally carved out of turnips and large beets. Faces of demons were cut into the vegetables then a glowing coal was placed inside. People carried these lanterns around the village or left them burning on doorsteps to frighten away evil spirits.

When the Irish immigrants arrived in America, they found pumpkins abundant and much easier to carve than turnips. And thus, the tradition of turning pumpkins into jack-o-lanterns began.

The custom of decorating with apples, pumpkins, cornstalks, and autumn leaves has its origin in an ancient Druid autumn festival called Samhain (pronounced SAH-win). The festival celebrated the end of summer and a successful harvest." - By Lisa Halvorsen, University of Vermont

This will give us a great baseline to get started!

RULES:
Qualifying plants come in three catagories:
1) Anything that can be carved into a Halloween lantern: turnips, beets, winter squash, pumpkins (please no NoID pumpkin seeds), or anything that you can reasonably argue can be made into a lantern.
2) Any plant with a Halloween themed name. Here are a few examples: "Ghost" Pepper, "Goblin" Gaillardia, "Witch" Hazel, "Blood"root etc. You'd be surprised how many there are!
3) Halloween colors. Anything with orange or black fruit, flower, or foliage. Examples include: Amana Orange tomato (orange fruit), black hollyhock (black flower), orange cosmos (orange flower), Black Pearl pepper (black foliage and fruit), Rustic Orange coleus (orange foliage), etc.

Only three packs of the same type of seeds are allowed. If you send in more than 3, the extras will be considered bonus and will not count towards the number of packets sent in.

Minimum of 15 seeds per pack (10 will be sufficient for large winter squash seeds). No seeds older than 2013. Anything older than 2013 will be considered bonus and will not count towards the number of packets sent in.

Send in however many packs you'd like, maximum of 100. Whatever you send in will be the amount that I return to you. Use a bubble mailer, as this is what I will use to return your new seeds. Include a return label with your address on it, as well as the postage it cost you to send, plus one additional stamp. This will help account for potential differences in weight/bulk, bonus seeds, prizes, etc. If you choose to send cash, rather than stamps, I will supply you with a PID number when I ship.

Include a list of what you have sent me so that I make sure to send you different seeds. If you have a preference as to what you get back, include it on this list. Please no more than five items on your request list. It can be specific, ie "ghost peppers", or general, ie "I prefer flowers." I will do what I can to fulfill your requests.

When I have all of the seeds, I will divide them up to send back to you. Any additional seeds welcome.

Deadline to get the seeds to me is Oct 22nd. I will get your new seeds out no later than Oct 27th. This will give the post office a full five days to get your packets to you, so that you receive them by Halloween.

Please respond here if you are interested. Remember, the more unusual or rare, the better!

Send seeds to:
Erica Braun
1894 Lindo St
Benicia, CA 94510

And since Halloween is a time for "tricks" as well as "treats," keep your eyes peeled for games I will be hosting throughout the month. Winners will get additional goodies added to their packs! Oct 1st we will start our first game: Bobbing for Apples.

Wishing you all a spooktacular Halloween!
Erica

Comments (150)

Sponsored
Manifesto, Inc.
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars9 Reviews
Columbus OH Premier Interior Designer 2x Best of Houzz Winner!