SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
jjsj54

Dining room refresh in progress....should I paint my chairs?

jjam
2 years ago

I'm doing a refresh of my formal Dining Room. In general. looking to lighten, brighten, and make it a bit more eclectic and less formal. I've been back and forth trying to decide whether to paint my chairs. First impressions, anyone?

The rug is new, as is the paint color. New drapes and light fixture are also on order, and the chair seats will be reupholstered whether the chairs are painted or not. If I do paint them, I am thinking of having them lacquered a creamy white. The chair seats would be blue to coordinate with a chinoisserie print which will be on the drapes. Do you see that look working here? Or should I keep the wood tones uniform?

Comments (49)

• HU-187528210
    2 years ago

Beautiful chairs
    Beautiful room
    Beautiful colors!!
    I like the chairs brown, I wouldn’t paint them.
    I might have the middle diamond piece cut off.
    Looks very inviting already!

jjam thanked HU-187528210
  • jjam
    Original Author
    2 years ago

I forgot to add that I'd also be open to buying new chairs. I admire the "mismatched" look; just not sure if it would be an improvement here.

• Related Discussions

I could use some help choosing paint for my dining room

Q

Comments (1)
    Just an opinion...I'd paint the vertical sides of the tray with the Wheat Grass and the horizontal (ceiling) parts of the tray with white.
    ...See More

I just painted my dining room Benjamin Moore Newburyport blue.

Q

Comments (1)
    Cream linen or blue and white? Or white and cream? Love that color! I have it in my powder room and am seriously considering it for my DR. Incidentally, I 've white wainscoting, white slip covered chairs and dark brown table. I have an oriental rug. What are you planning for your floor?
    ...See More

I need help deciding on chairs for my new dining room table

Q

Comments (18)
    Hi Wanda- Please, please do not buy chairs from the Internet. Chairs have to be comfortable and sturdy and made to last and support even big people. You are much better off going to charity stores craigslist and tag sales looking for sets of chairs made of solid wood and recovering the seat cushions and painting the wood. These stores have so many of these sets now! It is so easy to cover a chair seat and not difficult to learn how to paint the wood or you can leave the wood the way it is or just sand and varnish it.
    ...See More

My living room needs a refresh. Current paint is SW Pavilion Beige.

Q

Comments (10)
    Great recommendation on matching paint with chairs. I definitely agree with the oriental rug suggestion. Lighting for this room is not an issue because we have tons of windows on both sides of the room. Thank you so much for the feedback! To Patricia: I also thought the chandelier was very heavy and ornate when we bought the house but I have grown to love it. Apparently, the original owner had it shipped from Austria. It’s quite stunning at night.
    ...See More
  • Jilly
    2 years ago

I really do think they look perfect as is; I’d wait until you do the other changes and see what you think. Beautiful room, love your style.

jjam thanked Jilly
  • kpw118
    2 years ago

I’d just reupholster the chairs but leave the wood

jjam thanked kpw118
  • Olychick
    2 years ago
    last modified: 2 years ago

I'd paint them the color of the dress in the portrait, in a heartbeat.

these are a little bright but fun!

• ratherbesewing
    2 years ago

it might be a wierd angle, but your table looks small in your room. D you have a leaf to extend?

• roarah
    2 years ago

I love your room as is. I think it will always read a bit formal with the chandelier and trim. I like formal yet used areas in homes.

• jjam
    Original Author
    2 years ago

Thanks everyone.

Oly, you are amazing. I can't believe you found those images! It's a cool idea but I dont think that color will work for me. I included some links to what is coming soon for context.

ratherbesewing, I do have a leaf for the table. IRL it looks better with the small one there although I see what you're saying. I may try it just for fun!

What led me to the thought is that in all of my favorite dining rooms, chairs and table don't match, like this:

I don't love every element here but really like the way the table stands out against the chairs. My table has beautiful woodgrain and detals but sometimes I think the dark chairs get in the way and you dont notice it.

I agree that the room will always read somewhat formal, as my home is unabashedly traditional, but I am looking to breathe a lighter version of "traditional" to it. But I also know that what works in a photo or inspiration room isnt always right for my ho

Just for context, here are the other elements that are on their way.

Drape Fabric

Chandelier

I've got some time to figure this out so appreciate your ideas, thanks.

• Rachel Lee
    2 years ago

Do you have two more armless chairs? If so, I’d swap those in. The set is beautiful, but not the look you’re going for. If the chairs are antique, heirloom, or otherwise valuable, get new, less formal chairs. If you’re totally fine with painting them, do it.

• Rebecca Hicks
    2 years ago

How refreshing to see an already pretty, traditional room.

• Jilly
    2 years ago

Hmm, I really like your inspiration picture. It blurs a bit when I blow it up, but it seems the finish is a bit distressed, sort of ”aged”. I like that — I don’t think high-gloss or a super bright white would give the look you’re going for … they’d still look formal, just a different color.

I’m still Team Wood finish, but if you could get just the right painted finish, I think that would be lovely, too.

• jjam
    2 years ago

Thanks Jinx. if i did lacquer i wouldnt make it glossy. You make a good point that they will still look formal that way. i also like the distressed look but not sure how to get there!

if i kept the chairs wood finish, what for the seats? Existing fabric needs to go.

• kculbers
    2 years ago

Beautiful set of table and chairs. I would not paint it. I like your dining room as is!

• tartanmeup
    2 years ago

I don't love every element here but really like the way the table stands out against the chairs.

The inspiration picture has a very restrained palette. One wood table with basically two colours spread evenly around a mostly white room. You'll notice the walls are plain and the floor is bare. This is how the table stands out, I think. (Fwiw, I wouldn't call the inspo room eclectic as I don't really see more than one style in the room. The chairs have a gorgeous painted finish - Swedish Gustavian?)

Your dining room is already lovely but I'm not sure your table will stand out more with the elements you're introducing. The print drapes and the rug will "compete" for attention and won't necessarily help bring the table in the foreground. Imo. Not a pro. I understand the rug is new but how does the room look without it? My first impression was similar to @ratherbesewing's: the table looks small for the room. If you can extend it, try it and see if it allows the table more presence. Love your pretty chandelier and wouldn't be tempted to change it in the least!! :) The room doesn't read overly formal to me, simply classic. Another option to painting the chairs is simple slipcovers. There are a few styles that might appeal. Just one idea below. And of course, perhaps white bedsheets could help you "mock up" the effect before shelling out the time and money for any chosen option. As much as painting wood is transformative, it's pretty permanent as well.

Good luck with whatever you decide.

• jjam
    2 years ago

Thanks tartan, you bring up some great points. i have also thought of slipcovers for the chairs and will look at that because as you said, paint is permanent.

The chandelier is nicer in photos than in real life. It was put together from pieces of other fixtures and is in need of a total take apart and redo for cleaning and straightening, which i dont want to do. Crystal requires maintenance, and im ready for a different look there.

i also see what youre saying about the rug. It’s new and im still adjusting, but i think it will stay. i think the addition of the drapes will tie it in better.

• Jilly
    2 years ago

Somehow I missed your new chandelier and drapes links! Love them both.

What do you think about an antelope print?

https://www.perigold.com/decor/pdp/barrow-fabric-16c03-fabric-brwi1293.html?piid=24592090

I love how unexpected and fun the red would be.

It’s funny because I had this Thibaut Asian Scenic fabric in mind for your chairs, before seeing your drape fabric. I guess it’d be too matchy, but I love it. Anywhere else you could use it in the house? Pillows? :D

https://www.thibautdesign.com/catalog/product/details/product/asian_scenic_f975464/material/printed-fabrics/colorway/coral_and_green_590/

Pricey, but so pretty:

https://www.perigold.com/decor/pdp/schumacher-molly-mahon-hand-block-prints-bindi-100-cotton-fabric-tcbj3461.html?piid=50802165

• jjam
    2 years ago

Wow, Jinx, thank you! I fell hard for the blue/chartreuse chinoiserie fabric when i saw it and still in love. Your post helps to visualize it better. I’m working with a designer who suggests painted chairs, blue antelope print with the chartreuse for cording, so very similar to your suggestions. I like the rug but it is busier than i thought it would be so want to make choices with that in mind. I’m cool with how the drapes will look with it and they cant get here fast enough! I think that will help in making a good decision.

Also swooning over the other fabric choices, especially the chinoiserie of course!

• Olychick
    2 years ago

I, too, missed your links about colors. I love what you're considering with the blues and white chairs.

• jjam
    2 years ago

Thanks Oly! I love all the elements separately. The trick for me is seeing it in my head with enough confidence to move forward, esp especially with things that are custom. Im slowly getting there!

• jjam
    2 years ago

Jinx, i do love the last fabric you posted. I dont think its heavy duty enough for upholstery but love the color so will look for something similar, thanks.

• jjam
    Original Author
    2 years ago

I found these chairs on Ballard Designs. Price would be about the same as the cost of painting and re-doing seats on my existing chairs. WDYT? I think I could return them if I didn't like them, although I'm sure it would be pricey.

Tuva Dining Chairs

No experience with Ballard furniture although I've had good luck with their accessories, etc.

• Jilly
    2 years ago

I like them, but not near as much as your chairs. The quality can’t be compared, yours are so much better.

Of course it’s a decision only you can make. Wish you could see them in person first!

• jjam
    Original Author
    2 years ago

Ha, you're probably right, Jinx! I guess I'm trying to find a way to try lighter chairs and still have the option to change my mind. I just looked through a book my daughter gave me; "The Well Loved House", and every single dining room had chairs that did not match the table. Many were painted white and others were upholstered. I do love the look but hate the fact that if I paint mine, there's no going back if I'm not happy. I was also attracted to the price of these on Ballard....which probably means they aren't the best quality either.

• Jilly
    2 years ago

Are there any local places that carry white chairs? You could bring one home to see what you think.

Your set is gorgeous, so classic, but I understand wanting a change. I’m glad you aren’t going to paint them, these lovely and well-made treasures will someday all be gone.

Maybe wait until the drapes are in, your light is changed, etc, and see from there?

• jjam
    2 years ago

i think that‘s what im going to do. The other elements may be enough of a change to give me the “refresh” I‘m looking for. Thanks Jinx!

• Jilly
    2 years ago

I can’t wait to see! :)

• jjam
    2 years ago

Might be next year! Seriously. Drapes are expected in a coupke of weeks but rods are on eternal hold. Ordered them in early July and as of now no shipping date. Pandemic decorating is so much fun!!

• Olychick
    2 years ago

Since I'm on the 'paint them' team (tho they are beautiful), remember that paint CAN be stripped from wood furniture. If you are planning on replacing them with lesser quality painted chairs, what will happen to the originals? Sell them? Someone will buy them off of Craigslist and probably paint them :-) If you can't find some white chairs locally to try, maybe look for some really inexpensive or free ones off CL and paint one or two to see how you like the look.

• l pinkmountain
    2 years ago

In my mind, it's a whole lot easier to throw a tablecloth on the big brown blob of a tabletop than to go to the trouble of painting the chairs. You can pick something light and bright and eclectic, big presence right away. Plus it will immediately change the style of the table. Painting the chairs adds nothing, just makes them white chairs. Why buy solid wood only to paint it. As others have said, paint is for poorer quality materials.

• jjam
    Original Author
    2 years ago

Oly and pinkmountain, you both raise such great points, thank you!

Oly, I did bring home a couple of white chairs from Homegoods just to see how I liked the look. I did like it. Also don't hate the existing chairs; it's just a different look to me. I see your point about paint not being permanent, but I was planning to have them lacquered with a flat finish and wonder if that would make a difference.

The plan would be to use a blue antelope type print on the painted chairs. I do think it makes the table stand out more and IRL it's got the nicest wood finish; better than the chairs.

And pinkmountain, you are absolutely right; a tablecloth or runner is by far the easiest way to break up all the wood! Since none of this work on the chairs could even start for a couple of months, that's what I'll be doing for the holidays. I'm away from home right now but when I get back I may try adding the leaf to the table as some have suggested.

I think it's hard to make decisions without seeing the whole room finished. Drapes and light fixture can't get here fast enough!!

• jjam
    Original Author
    2 years ago

Update here....got the drapes in! So happy with them :) New light fixture to follow soon.

Still on the fence about whether to paint the chairs, but I decided to have the seats covered in a chartreuse velvet, similar to the color in the inspiration photo below but a little more vibrant.

Here is a room with some similar elements:

And here is the light fixture:

Dillon Chandelier

So...... now what do your eyes say? Paint the chairs, or keep the stain?

• Jilly
    2 years ago

Love the drapes! Looks wonderful.

Would I paint the chairs? No. BUT … it’s your room and I think you really want white chairs and that look (which is certainly beautiful, too). Do what makes you happy. :)

• KW PNW Z8
    2 years ago

great idea on the chartreuse velvet for chairs - it’ll tie in that color from drapes. Gorgeous drapes & lovely with the blue & white walls. My vote - don’t paint the chairs! I think all furniture in this room being the same color of wood unifies the furniture element & will allow the other elements to shine & not get lost. Other elements being new chandelier, new drapes & the portrait with the strong red in it. The rug pattern is quiet but it is another element to consider. Full disclosure - nice natural (unpainted) wood furniture makes my heart sing. 😊

• Carolae
    2 years ago

I think your chairs reupholstered with chartreuse velvet will look fabulous in your room! I love chartreuse with blue- here is chartreuse next to BM Blue Ice walls (in real life looks more blue than purple) in my house. I would not paint the chairs- I think the chartreuse velvet will give your room the more vibrant, eclectic look you are aiming for :)

I love the light fixture you have chosen- are you getting it in aged brass?

• jjam
    Original Author
    2 years ago

Thank you Carolae, and yes, I'm getting the Dillon chandelier in aged brass. Really looking forward to seeing it in person!

Very happy with how things are shaping up. Such a fun space now! As far as the chairs go, I know I'll be pleased either way but it helps to hear your thoughts so thanks all.

• Olychick
    2 years ago

The drapes are gorgeous! I'm still in the paint the chairs camp but am not convinced of white. I like the white in the most recent pic you posted, but that room has a chandelier similar to your existing one. I'm not sure the sleeker new chandelier (beautiful) would be complemented by white chairs. I probably would mock up a chartreuse chair cover (or whatever you decide to use) and see how it looks with the wood color chairs, then decide.

• jjam
    Original Author
    2 years ago

Thanks Oly, I will do that. Best to take a pic during the daytime so I will try tomorrow. I see what you mean about white, if I do it I'd probably do a soft white or cream, or maybe even a light taupe which is the background color of the drapes.

KW, you have an interesting point and I hadnt thought of the furniture being a unifying element. I was just thinking of it being too much brown in one place! I should probably have mentioned at the beginning that this room adjoins a kitchen with cherry cabinets wth a similar stain, as well as a dining table with, you guessed it, same stain. So part of me is thinking of just breaking up all of that wood everywhere. But I see what you are saying with all of the other elements that could get lost if the chairs were painted a contrasting color.

And Jinx, you always say the right thing! I would like to try it but if I don't paint the chairs I can channel that energy somewhere else. I can see the room either way looking great.

• Carolae
    2 years ago

I know you want to make the room less formal, but painting the chairs white or another light neutral would look too informal, in my opinion. You already have some white elements which brighten up the room, including the centerpiece, the wainscoting, and the plantation shutters. If you want to add more white, consider changing the lampshades to white ones, which would look lovely with your new chandelier.

• tartanmeup
    2 years ago

The drapes are sensational! Looking forward to seeing the chartreuse velvet on the chairs. I imagine it will echo a bit of the sideboard painting.

• Carolae
    2 years ago

Lovely, and chartreuse looks great with the dark wood of the chair!

• justcallmepool
    2 years ago

Gorgeous room! And I LOVE those new drapes. mmmm drool.

I love the idea of recovering the chair cushions and love greens. I was thinking maybe more of a lime green or a shade from your art over the buffet. It looks like your drapes also have a limey green in them? So IMO that would help tie it all together!

And I know the rug is new, but it seems to be more brown/taupe and your drapes appear to have more gray in them. I think a rug with gray would go better. Just something to consider, especially if you could move the rug to another room.

• Olychick
    2 years ago

Ok, the green fabric mock up moved me out of the 'paint the chairs' camp! That is just the bit of liveliness they need.
    eta: I was going to comment on your cat photo bombing, but then realized it's a dog, then noticed that it's a dog mock up (I think)?

• KW PNW Z8
    2 years ago

@jjam I do think that green fabric is perfect! And for me absolutely confirms my thought of no painting those chairs! I also like the Rooster lamp on the cute bar cabinet. But, I love the vintage marble topped cabinet under the portrait! Curious about the portrait - is it a family piece? I’m also mulling the black lamp shades - though very pretty, I’m wondering if they’re the best fit with the changes you’re making. Maybe keep them in mind to evaluate after your new light is hung. @Olychick I had to laugh at your first thinking that Corgi dog figure was a cat! I think it’s a Pembroke Corgi - short tail version - like Queen Elizabeth has always had!

• jjam
    Original Author
    2 years ago

Thanks all, I think the mockup has really helped me to see that the chairs will look great as they are with the chartreuse fabric. It has always been one of my favorite colors, yet I never thought of it as such a beautiful complement to wood tones. But it is! Only bummer is that the upholsterer can't get to these until mid January. But the new light fixture should be here soon :)

And you're right, that's a Corgi under the buffet! We have two at the moment as well as several others over the years. They are a wonderful decorating accessory :)

KW, I see what you mean about the black shades and I have gone back and forth about that. When I try white shades on those lamps I somehow miss the black ones. They do create a bit of drama aroud the painting which I like. But we'll see, when the chandelier comes in I'll try switching them out again and see what I think. And the portrait is of my mom, painted in the 1920s. Her parents owned a grocery store in an artist community, and the artist and her husband were regular customers. They were short on cash, so offered to barter a portrait of my mom for groceries. I love it and thank you for asking about her.

I'll check in again when other updates arrive, but for now I'm dreaming of chartreuse!!

• KW PNW Z8
    2 years ago

@jjam What a nice story about your mom’s portrait and what a treasure to have! Corgi’s are an interesting breed - I have to use the ”broken tail” mnemonic to remember the difference between the type with & without long tails. I think their purpose was herding livestock - hard to imagine! The black lampshades - you are right that they add drama. It was only a random thought on changing out the shades. Seems cream would be nicer on lamps than white but not for the room. So, yes, something to mull over at the very last & might be perfect as is!

• jjam
    2 years ago

On we go….new light fixture is in. Here’s the before and after

I actually like both but prefer the simplicity of the new one. I love crystal but have no desire to clean it. When the old one came down I was embarassed at how dirty it was!

Chartreuse seats on the chairs next…cant get here soon enough! Should happen by the end of January.

• Carolae
    2 years ago

It looks lovely! The old chandelier was nice, but I like the new one better in your room. I’m glad you aren’t painting your chairs. The new chandelier adds just the right amount of white to your room. I look forward to seeing the newly upholstered chairs!

• Jilly
    2 years ago

Both beautiful, but yes love the new one in there … a very clean, elegant, updated look. You have a great eye!

Sponsored
NME Builders LLC
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars2 Reviews
Industry Leading Kitchen & Bath Remodelers in Franklin County, OH