SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
amanda_bowman26

Advice - old tongue and groove ceiling and moving attic access

Amanda B
2 years ago

I'm looking for some advice about the best way to move the attic access in my entry room. The house is 100+ years old and the front room was originally a porch that is now closed in. The room contains access to the attic at the front of the house (it is a 1.5 story) but we would like to move the access so that we can have built-ins installed for a closet. Due to where the attic sits with the door to the next room we can't frame in a closet without moving the access either and prefer the built-ins. The walls will be redone with shiplap. The ceiling is the original tongue and groove boards. I do like the boards and so the original idea was to see if they could be removed without damage and reinstalled with the opening on the other end of the room (after the framing work) but I'm not sure if this is possible? The other idea is to drywall the ceiling to cover the old hole and cut in a new one but I'm not sure if that can be done on top of the boards or if the tongue and groove needs to be taken down? I'm open to and suggestions and advice (I'm not very experienced with house renovations and would be hiring this out). Thanks in advance!

Comments (8)