SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
jakkwb

advice on old home / more efficient h/c

jakkwb
15 years ago

Hello folks. My family and I live in 1900's colonial house. 2 story, about 2700 sq. ft. Was remodeled in the 80s with up to date electric and central heat/air. Bottom floor an all outdoor unit that is gas fed for heat with an electric blower motor. Upstairs unit is smaller with the heat unit in the attic. Ceiling fans in almost every room downstairs.

My last gas bill was $400. We keep the upstairs unit off in the winter time. Downstairs unit on 65. This house has blown in insulation in the outside walls (2 x 6 walls) (I don't know if every section has insulation in it, however), and roll insulation in the 2nd floor attic floor. There is none in the angled roof ceiling at all.

Downsides: many large old windows - original to the house with cheapo storm windows over them that are not sealed good at all. Crawlspace has insulation on the outside perimeter, but the bottom floor above the crawlspace is a single board layer that has no insulation under it all. Bottom floor ceilings are like 11 or 12 feet tall.

The units are 20-25 years old. They are Trane units, I think.

Basically, I need to know what steps I can take to make the largest impact on my gas bill for heating. I love this house, but it is very discouraging paying to heat it.

Any advice would help greatly. I can supply more information if needed.

Thank you.

Comments (6)