SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
otherchuck

What does 'overtighten' mean re: flared propane dryer pipe fixtures?

otherchuck
2 years ago

Greetings,

Gritting my teeth with mega-frustration now. Spent about two days researching how to best replace propane line to my dryer, and as far as I know, I did an awesome job! And yet, a fixture leaked, and I learned...apparently...flared gas pipe fittings don't like to be be 'overtightened.' Who knew?! When is it ever okay to 'over-' anything? I don't 'over-eat' but should I be worried I 'over-exercise'? What is the exact right amount of exercise? 'Over' and 'under' both seem to be contraindicated...by the very nature of the words 'over' and 'under.'

So, gonna try again to replace this propane line to my dryer, but can ANYONE help me understand the transition points between 'undertighten,' 'just right!,' and 'overtighten'? Sort of hoping to land in the 'just right' territory. What does it feel like when you are 'just right' so I don't again tread into 'overtighten' territory?

Thanks for not suggesting I call a professional. That's what I did last time, and the fact that I am trying to fix a leak in the line they set up suggests I should probably learn to do this stuff myself. Any help at all with respect to appropriately tightening flared gas pipe fixtures is SUPER appreciated!

Otherchuck

Comments (2)