SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
webuser_393107883

New Here - New House & Need Help with my Kitchen

Valerie Noronha
2 years ago

Hi,

I am an 'old timer' from about 10-years-ago back when this was Gardenweb and I was remodeling my home. Flash forward, we sold that house and are in contract in a new home in Half Moon Bay. It's a lovely home and can't beat the location blocks from the beach and costal trail, but I will definitely miss my Gardenweb designed kitchen.

What I like about my new kitchen is it has a functional layout including an island and prep sink, gas cooktop, is open to the backyard, nook, and family room, and has an walk-in-pantry (yeah). What I don't like is that the previous owners did a cabinet refacing and so the drawers and cabinets are not full extension, soft close like I had become used to. They also updated the appliances; however they did not put in a hood. While we may at some point in the future remodel this kitchen, for now we have decided to keep as is with some minor updates to improve the functionality. I'm hoping the experts on this board can help me make the most of this kitchen without a gut/remodel.

The most urgent update is to replace the OTR mircowave with a hood as the microwave does not vent at all -- just pushes the air out the top LOL. Previous owners took out the double ovens and put in a oven/microwave combo unit which you can see to the right. We don't need two microwaves and for the type of cooking we do, would rather have a hood which vents outside. The house is 2-stories but can vent to the external wall.

Where I need advice is:

1. recommendations for a good quality, high cfm, relatively quiet, under cabinet hood (30" wide). There is no separate hood cabinet, instead it's all one big cabinet (probably original) that includes the adjacent wall cabinets) and we'd rather not mess with that.

2. What to do with the gap that will be created in the wall between the granite and the top of the new hood? I estimate this will be about 8-10". Was thinking some glass tile - but so far nothing is really grabbing me - we do not want to take out the granite backsplash.

Here is a closeup view of the area in question:

Comments (6)