SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
yvonne_007

Single Girl Needs Help w/ Weird Kitchen Layout in New Home Purchase

Yvonne 007
5 years ago

I'm single with two dogs (one big and one medium sized) and just purchased a new construction home. I'm in IT and finding a smart home (a dream) in a gated community within my budget was amazing. However, in my excitement I truly didn't notice the design layout until four days ago, when I started looking at the pictures I took for design layout ideas for the various rooms in the house (4bdrm, 2.5ba, kitchen, breakfast nook, formal dining room and "gameroom" (whole different dilemma). The kitchen is L-Shaped with a 12' x 8' breakfast nook with a window seat at the end). But, then the Fridge and Pantry is on a half wall to the left (other side of wall is the hallway), with maybe 3' doorway openings on either side (not actual doors, just openings). With this setup I realized I don't have room to prep ingredients (I love to cook). This led me this idea.

Get rid of the nook with window seat. Extend the L-Shape 2', which would give me that much of an area for food prep. Then move the pantry and fridge to that side as well. Unfortunately, that would leave a 'half wall' where the Fridge and Pantry use to be completely empty. Not sure if that would be weird or what to do with the wall. Also, I figured since there is an opening from the kitchen to the formal dining room. I could just make the "formal dining room" more of a casual eating area with a built-in bookcase, along with more casual table and chairs. That way there is still a place to eat besides the counter and stools when people come to visit.

What are your thoughts? I have attached the floor to help with the visual, in case my description was off. I appreciate any feedback that is given with my options. Yes, I realize that if the construction manager can't move these things around, I will have to come out of pocket to have a contractor friend do for me (I truly can't live without a prep area). Yes, I know I should have noticed before now and I can't believe I was so thoughtless. Oh, and the frame is already up, in case someone asks.

Thank you again to anyone that responds.

Comments (26)

• dan1888
    5 years ago
    last modified: 5 years ago

You'll need your contracting friend.

A lot of space but it isn't used well. The wall where the frig and pantry are could come down. The wall between the nook and the dining room could be removed. The powder room location is a problem. There's space if you add on and reconfigure the laundry area for a powder room with privacy. Coats and pantry in the old powder room location. You don't need to use living room space for counter seating. That suggests no peninsula. The frig could fit at the living room end of the run. That run can now have a 30" wide counter for more usable work space. Regular drawer cabinets can be spaced out from the wall with 2x4 blocking to mount. And with the frig wall gone you have room for an island with a single bowl sink and Miele dw with utensil tray. I like a 24" minimal radius deep sink instead of larger. Kohler Karbon is an interesting faucet. Insinkerator Evol Excell disposal. Don't go for a lower model. They have composite grinding chambers instead of 40 oz. stainless. Induction range like a Bosch Benchmark or 800 series.

Draw it up and have him tell you how much it's going to cost you. You may want to reconsider your purchase.

Yvonne 007 thanked dan1888
  • jck910
    5 years ago

Not sure what you mean by "not having any prep area"? You have a standard kitchen design. There is prep area on both sides of the stove and around to the sink. What dan1888 is proposing is $$$$ not sure you want to do that many change orders on a house you say is in "your budget".

Not sure why a single person wants a house so large go for a smaller home with a kitchen better suited to your style of living

• Related Discussions

SingleDad needs *help* w/ his foyer/entryhall!

Q

Comments (33)
    drkona, Your house looks great! I would look for a small chest or console to go on the wall directly in front of you when you come in the front door. Maybe with a mirror hung above it and a lamp and a picture of your kids on the chest. That would make a welcoming entrance. Ballard Designs has a lot of little chests/consoles. re: the closet - definitley use it. Install lower hooks or maybe consider having California Closets or someone come out to put some organizing stuff in there to maximize the space. I like what mclarke posted for that corner by the closet. You could also have someone (handyman, finish carpenter) come and build you a little bench and hooks for that space too. If you can train everyone to use that area, that would be great! Have fun!
    ...See More

Need help with kitchen layout

Q

Comments (2)
    Welcome Erin! I'm with you, if you're going to do it, do it right. Some questions: Could you please post a full-floor layout so we can see how the kitchen relates to the rest of the house and how traffic flows in, around, and through the kitchen? Do you have a basement? Why can't the range move? Regarding disagreements in scope, often the person who doesn't use a space doesn't understand/realize how dysfunctional a space is. I don't think he's being difficult, he truly doesn't understand. When we remodeled, my DH was the same. I patiently pointed out the issues over and over while I was working and he finally understood (either that or he was tired of hearing about them!) We finally came to an agreement that the person who used a space the most would get the final say...but we did agree to listen to each other. It's worked great over the years.
    ...See More

Helping my parents w/ whole-house remodel; 5 questions I need help on

Q

Comments (4)
    Any modern idiot proof solution promotes the building of Neanderthal Idiot 2.0 in response. “Et’s da whay we alluz dunnit.” , Pause. Spit Tobbacy. Deliberate look up and down. Pointed passive aggressive insult....”Little Lady”. Another spit.
    ...See More

Just purchased 1.1 acres of land need help on house orientation layout

Q

Comments (51)
    His price for our floor plan design, and house position on our lot is $4,250. Does this sound like a decent price for the work that will be done? Keep in mind, we have never done this before, so just asking for advice from people who have. Thanks!
    ...See More
  • herbflavor
    5 years ago

I would ask about a U shape kitchen up where dining room is shown. then some sort of island where Nook is shown..then a large open great room which can have a dining table"zone" if you want it...[near the current kitchen] In your situation, the 3 eating venues-dining/breakfast nook and peninsula seem redundant. For prospective buyers a nice island with dining zone option would be sufficient and the larger great room devoted space would be preferable.[the peninsula with stools eats a lot of space] A dining zone allows a drop leaf table off to the side or a large-ish table set-up....flexible....and therefore better use of seating and overall arrangements in this "family" or great room. See if you can get a more compact classic U shaped kitchen and grow the open living area. Better.....continuous counter space for your cooking and when you sell, a bigger living area will attract. is this a "hot" area...? the community has amenities or something? It seems a bit unusual purchase for a single person....

Yvonne 007 thanked herbflavor
  • Helen
    5 years ago

I also don't understand the OP feeling there is insufficient prep area as there is significant counter space on either side of the sink which is where prep is generally performed.

The major flaw is that there doesn't appear to be counter space on either side of the refrigerator for loading or unloading. However, it's not the end of the world since there is a counter immediately opposite.

Whether one wants to spend significant amounts of money to alter the layout is really a matter of your economic situation and the cost of such alterations. However, the current layout while not idea is not a den of horrors and provides adequate prep area in a logical place. Many people cook fine meals without problems in significantly worse kitchens :-)

• herbflavor
    5 years ago

going into purchase at construction phase often allows opportunities....accepting"it's not so bad mentality" when other options may be available is neglecting what you possibly can do to improve this. It depends....of course....how flexible they can be..what your goals are for the purchase. I have seen free half baths thrown in at construction....combining two condo units together and remaking the unit...at construction....changing partition walls ….the purchaser needs to be efficient with thinking things through and approaching the builder/construction manager.....

• bry911
    5 years ago

I am not a big fan of an informal eating area next to dining room, especially when they essentially share the same view. Put a decent colorful table cloth in the dining room and eat there... The entire idea of putting a table in a room so you don't have to use your other table 8' away seems a bit redundant to me.

Personally, I would make your kitchen 12x15, put another wall 5' in from the dining room wall, create a real pantry, and possibly a butlers pantry and turn your kitchen so it is a galley with an island. But I am far from a pro at this.

• Helen
    5 years ago

I know many people who have dining rooms and eat in kitchens and find it to be a very functional use of space. Most of the time people do not want to shlep out food and table settings to the dining area and it's much easier to just eat in the kitchen. Now if someone has two seating areas in the kitchen plus a nearby dining room, that might be overkill but even then maybe not in terms of individual life styles as sitting around a normal heigh kitchen table is a different experience than sitting in stools at a counter in the kitchen.

Of course if one can configure during construction to get the exact layout and style one wants go for it. The issue is how much it will cost to do that and whether it is worth it and whether the OP wants to spend the money/can afford to tweak it. I was responding to the puzzling statement that there is no prep area since there is what most people would consider to be a good amount of prep area in the kitchen proper - whether one wants an eat in kitchen is a different issue.

• herbflavor
    5 years ago

in the original plan with dining room semi-closed off....I wonder if many folk have the wall extended [foyer wall]..place French doors or the like and use it as a quiet den or similar use. In other words.....if it serves other functions besides dining room, if that is one's wish. That could be a case for leaving dining room walled off....I still would slide the kitchen down, eliminate Nook and try for island instead of peninsula , or just having a dining zone between kitchen and family space. this would be my default, easy tweak. Just think everything through now.

• Chessie
    5 years ago

There is plenty of "prep area". My issue would be having the sink so far away from the range. That space between the two, is what I consider to be the normal prep area. OP can you elaborate on exactly what it is that you don't like?

"The entire idea of putting a table in a room so you don't have to use your other table 8' away seems a bit redundant to me."

Agreed.

• functionthenlook
    5 years ago

I am a different mind than everyone else. I don't like walking into a kitchen from the front door to get to the living room. I would put a wall where you have "no wall here" . Move the entrance from the kitchen in to the dining room over 3 ft. Keep the fridge where it is and move the pantry down to the end and put counter space in between. It will not be a prep space, but a spot to put your crock pot or bread machine when using them or to cool your cookies,etc. It will keep your prep area free. I would then put a small table for everyday use in the nook area. Or since you cook a lot you could put double ovens next to the fridge and make the remainder of the wall pantry. You can never have enough storage. To me it looks like you have enough prep area on each side of the sink and stove for prep.

• Chessie
    5 years ago

"I am a different mind than everyone else. I don't like walking into a kitchen from the front door to get to the living room."

No, not a different mindset from me. But OP did not ask about that. Guess I assumed she was fine with it. :-) But I agree - it is not what I would choose.

• sheloveslayouts
    5 years ago

I'd keep any changes relatively simple. I think the kitchen proper layout is very efficient and good with a great prep area located perfectly between sink and range.

Just swap the kitchen with the nook, creating a sort of great room: kitchen-nook-family room separate from the study/dining room. A house of this size really benefits from having that flexible room at the front of the house, so I wouldn't force it into being your only dining area. Ask about a pocket door between kitchen and front room.

This represents the perspective from the flipped nook. Massive amounts of prep space here. I might forgo the windows flanking the range so you can have more storage. This assumes the view out those windows would just be your neighbor's house anyway.

Yvonne 007 thanked sheloveslayouts
  • User
    5 years ago

Tract builders don't allow changes. Much less massive changes. That's why it's in your budget. You start making any minimal changes that are actually allowed, and it won't be in your budget.

• cpartist
    5 years ago

I was going to say what Sophie said in that I'd be surprised they'd let you make those changes.

I'd also want to know why you need a 4 bedroom house with a game room? Will you actually use all those rooms or will you be paying for space that will lay empty the majority of the time?

Honestly this doesn't look like the best layout for a single gal.

As for the kitchen, you have plenty of prep space as is.

• tqtqtbw
    5 years ago

I must say, much earlier in my life, that I absolutely hated it when my real estate agent told me I didn't "need" the kind/size of house I wanted and had figured out we could afford. Need? I need what I want because I work hard every day. Fired on the spot. :-) (And yes, I live in the house I told him to find. His loss.)

The OP has found a house and says it fits her budget. I take that as a given. Layout issues are another matter and may not be fixable with a tract build.

My budget conscious layout suggestion is to put a bistro/tulip round table in the nook and place a free standing long counter/buffet on the wall between the kitchen and the dining room. If not that, then store a rolling island cart in that spot.

Yvonne 007 thanked tqtqtbw
  • Yvonne 007
    Original Author
    5 years ago

@ dan1888 Thank you for the feedback. I will keep that in mind.

@ jck910 I need the space because I do expect to have grand-children in the next five years (son and DIL). Also, I work from home. Thus, a home office. is needed and I have a literal gym (pretty much anything you can find at a chain gym (Lifetime Fitness, 24 Hour Fitness, etc....), I have in various rooms now and in my garage. I couldn't find a home that could accommodate the exact space I wanted and the homes are skyrocketing here. When I say in my budget. I just meant the price of the home. Not counting the budget I have for making modifications.

@ mama goose_gw zn6OH Great idea as well. Thank you for the image. Works better since I'm a visual person!

@ herbflavor Yes. There are amenities. One it's a gated master planned community (pools, parks, biking trails, amenity center, splash pad, etc) in a fantastic part of town. It's also a Smart Home. I was specifically looking for a gated community. My original intention was to put my office in the "formal dining room" area. However, that is the location of my current home office and with Amazon Prime deliveries and barking dogs. I had to rethink. Hence, getting rid of the breakfast nook. I have never planned to have two tables in the home. I do like your suggestion. Since I personally have two contractors friends, I knew if I didn't find the exact house I wanted, I modify and ensured I had cash reserves.

@Helen Very good feedback. Thank you.

@bry911 Wow....more great ideas and feedback.

@Chess-yeah that's me The idea was to put an island there instead of a breakfast nook. I don't feel I need it now. From the front door you actually see the formal dining because of the wall that separates the kitchen from the formal dining room. So if you were at the front door. To the immediate right is a 1.5' - 2' wall, where I could perhaps put a plant or something (don't know). Then you take about 2 - 3 steps and you see whatever is in the formal dining room. Once you take another 2 - 3 you can maybe seen the kitchen. But, because there is a column there, it isn't a clear sight line.

@functionthenlook Your comments do resonate with me.

@benjesbride And the great feedback keeps coming. Thank you so much!

@Sophie Wheeler Couldn't agree more. Especially, if the "budget" didn't include modification money.

I hope I didn't miss replying back to anyone. It was my first post and I didn't see a reply button with any of your post. This has been the most amazing feedback. Truly thought provoking, which is appreciated.

• PRO
    Anglophilia
    5 years ago

There is a very simple, inexpensive way to add counter space/landing zone for this kitchen. It does not invoke construction/change orders.

Ikea makes a very nice all-wood cart/island <https://www.ikea.com/us/en/catalog/products/80035920/>

it will fit in your kitchen and has wheels so you can move it if needed. I have this in my own kitchen and adore it! I painted the base of mine and used mineral oil on the top to condition it. You will love this island - a place to put filled plates, stuff from your refrigerator, groceries - the uses are infinite.

i think your new house is far better than most we see on GW and it sounds as if it will serve your needs perfectly. Get this cart! It will solve your problems.

• Yvonne 007
    Original Author
    5 years ago

@ cpartist I did already explain the necessity of the space when @jk910 asked. Every last room will be used and has a purpose. Otherwise I would not have chosen!

@ tqtqtbw Thank you. Everyone that personally knows me, has never even questioned the rooms because they see how cramped I am in the three bedroom with study, that I have now. While the builder may not add the wall to close off the pantry. Two contractor friends said they would do it for me.

@ tqtqtbw & @ Anglophilia I literally thought about putting a an island rolling cart in the breakfast nook area or a long built in shelf or buffet. Any of those ideas I could live with, as long as I can get the wall up, which I have a call in to tomorrow. After reading all the feedback and thinking more about it, I have definitely reassessed. Bonus, it's more money I can put towards decorating since any of these would definitely be cheaper.

• functionthenlook
    5 years ago

Yvonne I don't know if you choose to put or not to put a table in the kitchen, but from one grandmother (3,4,&5) to a future grandmother it is easier to clean up the kitchen after the kids do crafts, finger paint, decorate cookies, etc. Oh, sparkles and play dough got to be the worst. You might want to invest in a card table in the future to set up in the kitchen for the kids to make a mess at if you are not putting in a table.

Yvonne 007 thanked functionthenlook
  • Buzz Solo in northeast MI
    5 years ago

Yvonne, I suspect This: "I'm single with two dogs (one big and one medium sized) and just purchased a new construction home. I'm in IT ...." was why most assumed you didn't need that size house. It was assumed you were about 23 years old and childless. :-) I'm not saying you can't be 23 and a grandmother, but, I suspect not.

But that little island that Anglophilia posted could be just the thing to help you have more prep area. Or something similar in stainless steel if you're not one to dowood staining, oiling, etc.

• sheloveslayouts
    5 years ago

I'm fascinated by this thread because as Buzz pointed out, I think some commenters were talking to you as if you're a millennial. Wondering how the tone of comments would be different if your original post said you're a mother and future grandmother.

Yvonne 007 thanked sheloveslayouts
  • Helen
    5 years ago

I also didn't realize the OP was older and I do think the brief intro gave the impression of someone who was buying a first home. I think that "single girl" in the thread title made me think of a plucky Mary Tyler Moore starting out in the world. :-)

Not that there is anything wrong with buying a first home but I do think that advice given to someone who is buying a first home and probably hasn't lived in a lot of different types of places is different than someone who has lived around and knows what they want and need and is attempting to achieve very specific aims.

I know that living in different places has made me much more aware of what I like and don't like - what I need and priorities etc.

• cpartist
    5 years ago

I apologize. I'm one who thought you were buying your first home. :)

However now that I know you'll be a future grandmother, my concerns revolve around if you ever need to worry about getting upstairs. Yes you're healthy now, exercising, etc. As do I. However as we age life happens.

My Mother at 72 was still quite capable of climbing stairs. However a few years later after she developed Parkinson's disease, there was no way she would have been able to climb stairs, although she was still able to go to the gym 5x a week and walk on the treadmill the days she didn't go to the gym. Just something to think about.

• Yvonne 007
    Original Author
    5 years ago

@ functionthenlook I do plan to have one table. But, only one and nothing formal. Not my style. But, great point!

@Buzz Solo Goodness....a grandmother at 23, I don't think would be possible! Ha ha

I did agree with @ Anglophilia about getting a rolling island and/or cart. I had actually started thinking about it before I responded to her in agreement! Since I'm responding to multiple people in a post, instead of responding in individual post. I think what I chose to go with got lost.

@Helen I'm not purchasing my first home or my last. Since I have a son that is engaged. I am hoping to Blessed with grandchildren. Especially since he's my one and only child! :) Oh and I couldn't agree more with your comment!

@cpartist I totally agree with you. However, I honestly hope to not be living in this house when I need to worry about things as such. God willing, I would be married and we would purchase a home together and I would rent out this one! If not, I can't imagine living here for 30 years. My goal is to purchase acreage in the next 10 years and build a home.

• robin0919
    5 years ago

As for the 'Nook' brec, area. Put a desk(island) there and use for prep. You can use the dining area for formal. Most people theses days use a tray and watch TV while eating.