SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
missybnickie

Please critique my tiny vintage kitchen layout & cabinet configuration

missybnickie
2 years ago
last modified: 2 years ago

Hi lovely people,

I got some great advice on here a few years ago, I hope there are a few kitchen experts up for round two!

I am remodelling my kitchen - finally! My house is from 1915, however it was renovated as a flip in the late 80s/early 90s. My goal is to replicate its original 1915 finishings and feel as much as possible. For the kitchen, in terms of design, my plan is to do:

- stacked Shaker cabinets (30" + 15") with grey-green lowers and creamy white uppers. They will be full or partial overlay. I love inset cabinets but sadly they are not in the budget.

- whie subway tile backsplash with medium grey grout

- checkerboard vinyl VCT floor (colour combination TBD)

- soapstone countertop, if budget allows

The kitchen is a self-contained room, about 8.5' x 13' with both an exterior door and a door-sized opening into the dining room. The missing walls that you don't see in the layout have the exterior and dining room doors on them, plus a small bench with coathooks. In terms of layout, I would prefer to keep the sink under the window, and the range on the existing wall to save on costs. The range can be moved to the left or to the right, however. The refrigerator is being fully inset into a wall shared with a large bath/laundry.

Below is the layout and cabinet configuration proposed by the cabinet maker based on the information/requests I provided. I would love any feedback or suggestions that you might have! In particular, I am wondering about:

- which cabinets would you do as glass? I feel like only one on each side looks a bit funny.

- it looks like there is a 24" upper cabinet with a single door on one side of the range, and a 28" cabinet with two doors on the other. A 24" door seems massively large to me, and maybe not a good look compared to the other side. Maybe I am misinterpreting the diagram but I don't think so. What do you think?

- if the 24" door IS too large to look nice, would it be better to shift the range 2" to the right, leaving 26" of space on either side of the range hood? And then have two 13" doors on either side of the range to match. But would these be too small/look busy? Am I missing any other options?

- anything else you recommend I tweak, based on your experience?

I'm really grateful for any feedback and advice! Thank you SO MUCH in advance!

Comments (24)