SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
jenny1963_gw

Please help me with my tiny kitchen layout!

jenny1963
13 years ago

Hi TKO GWers!

I've been a lurker for a while and am in the planning stages of renovating our house, including our small kitchen. Go ahead and rip our plan to shreds! lol!

Our house is a small urban Victorian cottage in Chicago, circa 1885, which was renovated in the late 1980's, early 90s, The whole lot is narrow @ only 25 feet wide, and our house is short @ about 50 feet.

We have a small family (of 3) and a large dog (over 100 lbs). There's usually 1 butt prepping and cooking but another butt cleaning, so I guess 2-2.5 butts, as I have a 6 year old who likes to bake with me. I bake too much (need to lose a bit of weight; those damn cookies!), and do also a lot of basic cooking. Usually no complicated multi-course dinners, because I'm not particularly organized.

For the past 8 years, we've had a small dysfunctional kitchen with a 32 ' aisle in a narrow L shape kitchen with a peninsula or a narrow U. It currently has ONE small glass block window over the range. I'm not sure how much we can change the overall footprint, but we want to open it up, to lighten it (take advantage of the abundant light we have in the rest of the space,) and am hoping to add more storage and counter space, and a small island as well, if it works, for prep, storage and seating.

We're taking out a load-bearing wall that borders the kitchen to have a more multifunctional room, with dining and kitchen in the same space.

We hang out, read, watch computer and t.v., read the paper, and basically do almost ALL our living back here in the house. On one of the kitchen walls will be an 'interior window,' or a framed opening (where an upper cabinet might be,) to the stairs , which lead to the basement (including upright freezer and 2nd fridge) and upstairs. The kitchen is also close to a half-bath which is on the opposite side of the house from the stairs.

Things to note: there's a glass block window in the kitchen (as I said, the only window,) which we're planning on replacing and lowering the sill, hopefully down to counter height. There is NO view out that window, however, other than of our neighbor's baby blue siding 3 feet away (the joys of urban life!) We could put art glass or opaque glass in, or a sheer over a regular window. The fridge is pictured in its current position (it's currently a 36' side by side,) but I'm planning on purchasing a new fridge.

I've replaced the old dishwasher to a Bosch and the range to a GE Cafe slide-in, and added a Kobe hood (all thanks to GW!) in the last 2 years.

The kitchen/dining/lounging area is on the south side of the house, with the back door exiting out to our deck, which overlooks our mature garden in the back . The plan also shows a small bump-out (by 3'6',) to allow for an L-shaped sofa adjoining the kitchen on the other side of the island.

From Kitchen plans

Here is a link that might be useful: kitchen plans

Comments (27)

Sponsored
BME Construction LLC
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars20 Reviews
Loudoun County's Source for High-End Custom Decks & Outdoor Structure