SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
lincoln97

Christmas presents and treats

We are being warned that this year there will be some shortages for Christmas. I have four young adult sons, and zero idea of what to buy.

In my rich fantasy life, I would make each of them something special, by hand (I was a big Tasha Tudor fan growing up.) The boys are wildly appreciative of anything I do like that, but honestly, my creative juices are all tapped out.

As for the regular old buying stuff, they're boys and somewhat minimalists. Clothes bore them, they have all the devices (computers, consoles, 3D printers, drones, etc.) they need or want, what can I wrap up and put under the tree???

For generally festive items, I have bought a bunch of stuff like Christmas crackers, Advent calendars, and confections from Fortnum and Mason this year.

How is everyone else coping? I would love to hear your ideas for presents and festive touches/treats/games for family, friends and neighbors. Maybe we can inspire one another :-)

Comments (71)

• Funkyart
    2 years ago

For Consumables, I often make my pistachio baklava.. and/or purchase a recipients fav liquor/craft beer. I am looking for new ideas this year.. maybe trall mix for some.

This photo is from Michael Symon's mother's recipe on the food network (i think-- i had it saved, didn't look it up!) This was the starting place for my own recipe. I just tweaked it over the years.

Zalco/bring back Sophie! thanked Funkyart
  • Oakley
    2 years ago

Zalco, I just remembered what I did a couple of years ago & had fun putting it together. Both elementary grandchildren got the same but different theme.

DS1 fell in love with the mountain states a few years ago, and he takes his family to CO and surrounding states every summer. One day when DH and I were driving & listening to NPR, an author was talking about the wolves in Yellowstone where DS had visited. I knew immediately he'd love the book.

Book

In a wrapped giftbox, each recipient got a book, a Mighty Brite clip-on book light, and a book mark with a saying on it that matches their personality. I found one with a wolf on it. :) I love doing theme gifts like that, but it's hard to come up with an idea.

Zalco/bring back Sophie! thanked Oakley
  • Related Discussions

My Christmas Present

Q

Comments (2)
    Tomatoes in winter are always a wonderful surprise! I am overwintering two small container-grown tomato plants in my garage. These are plants that were transplanted into their containers last March or April. Both are small plants and they only produce small numbers of tomatoes--just a few cherry tomatoes a week, but they're better than having no tomatoes at all. Because we have cats and dogs who spend some time indoors, I don't even attemp to grow tomatoes indoors. I tried it for a couple of years, but didn't feel like it was worth the bother. Your results may vary. The plants in the garage get pretty cold at night because the garage is unheated, but it is pretty well-insulated. I drag the containers outside on sunny, warm winter days and then back into the garage every night. I know that if I forget to move them indoors, they'll freeze or something like a deer or rabbit will eat them at night. Once the nights are dropping below 55 degrees, the plants don't bloom or set new fruit very well, so the fruit I'm harvesting now were set in late October or early November when the nights still were fairly warm. After an 80-degree day last week, one of the plants bloomed, but I haven't checked to see if any of those blooms set fruit. The flavor of winter tomatoes is not as good as summer tomatoes, but they're better than grocery store tomatoes.
    ...See More

Our early Christmas present...

Q

Comments (3)
    That had to be a wonderful time! Merry Christmas! DH has taken me, twice, to see the Nutcracker. He dresses up and everything. It is so not his style, and his idea of high fashion carries the Carhart label, but he makes it a fun evening for me. Things like this are wonderful gifts. I've got to get him a catfishing trip or something.
    ...See More

Christmas presents to the mailman etc?

Q

Comments (17)
    I took a plate of goodies to the office yesterday for everybody I work with. I sent cards to all the service people that have helped me this past year. I give smaller portions of baked goodies to some of my elderly and single tenants who I know don't have or get much. I give larger portions to families in my apartment buildings in the same situation. I give small treats to all the kids, 9 this year - bought cute zippered snowmen, penguins and reindeer from Avon and filled them with candy, chocolate balls and candy canes. All the other tenants get cards only. 96 tenants, I'd be in the poor house if I tried to bake for them all or buy them all a little something. I did buy one old timer 3 shirts as I was told that he only has one and rinses it out in the tub every night. It's looking like I'm going to have to bake a whole new set of stuff for my own family and friends, but I work hard at getting something to people that don't get much, if that means I have to bake more so we have something to enjoy then that's fine. I don't know about your families, but in mine we all get so much it's easy to forget that there are lots of people out there that don't get anything, don't have anyone come to visit, don't have anywhere to go for Christmas dinner, etc. I've had tenants tell me in the past that the card or the little plate of baking I gave them was the only thing they got, and while that's sad it sure makes me thankful that I am able to do at least that for them. Suzan J
    ...See More

Another Christmas Present for Me!

Q

Comments (8)
    Carol, I've put England on hold until at least spring but if there is a federal election call I will most likely go in the summer. If I am away and the election is called I would have to come right home to do my job. That is the problem with our Parliamentary system - the party in power is always one house vote away from an election. Both my sisters have had breast cancer. Lizzie had double breast cancer and was treated by the best doctors while living in Saudi Arabia. She has nerve damage in her neck from the radiation that affects the nerves in her hands and she has already lost quite a bit of hand function in both of them so she figures this will be the last Christmas dinner she will be able to cook on her own. My other sister Marjorie has had breast cancer twice - 2 different kinds in the same breast which she had removed last summer. Anne
    ...See More
  • Oakley
    2 years ago

Funky, one Christmas I gave both sons a waffle maker, waffle mix, and a bottle of maple syrup. They loved it! Can you tell I'm big on theme gifts? :)

Zalco/bring back Sophie! thanked Oakley
  • carolb_w_fl_coastal_9b
    2 years ago
    last modified: 2 years ago

My life has gotten very easy, when it comes to gifts for my son - I send him money via Paypal. Back when it was safe to shop in department stores, I would usually buy him some nice shirts too - things he won't get for himself.

Zalco/bring back Sophie! thanked carolb_w_fl_coastal_9b
  • just_terrilynn
    2 years ago

If you hand select items for gift baskets, these are a big hit. Williams & Sonoma.

If you have a hunter in the family, this is a great knife! I bought it for a gift in 2013 and its still getting raves (from a man who has many knifes).The handle color makes it easy to find again and apparenly the blade stays sharp forever. Used for deer hunting and more. Takes four to six weeks to ship.

Zalco/bring back Sophie! thanked just_terrilynn
  • beckysharp Reinstate SW Unconditionally
    2 years ago

My sons are 21 and almost 23, and my daughter a few years older. I've been doing mostly practical, edible gifts for the past few years, and now esp since our daughter just bought a fixer up house and farm, and our sons are planning to move into our old house on our farm and remodel it. As @nekotish wrote, "All things that they didn't realize cost so much when they were eating and cooking at home!" Very true here as well!

A favourite gift here for birthdays and holidays is a box of local bacon or pork chops from our butcher shop : ) -- and until now we've been living together so everyone gets to benefit from those gifts, including the gift giver! We also have a local cheese shop that puts together special boxes for the holidays. My daughter likes to bake, so I may get her a bottle of Nielsen Massey vanilla extract, and the boys like to bbq so over the years we look for artisanal bbq sauces and tools. Also cookbooks (inc for wild game, because my kids and dd's boyfriend all like to hunt and fish). My daughter also started doing online cooking classes during the pandemic, so that's an option too; if I do that, I would package it with a non-perishable ingredient or two being used in the particular recipe/meal.

Also -- and for their boy/girlfriends if any -- flannel or fleece pyjamas or sleeping pants, flannel shirts (one GF wanted a black and white plaid one last year, which was harder to find than I would have thought), fun/nice socks, scarves/snoods/gaiters, nice body wash (Jack Black for the young men), phone charging cords. Usually a game for all of them to play together.

Zalco/bring back Sophie! thanked beckysharp Reinstate SW Unconditionally
  • Sueb20
    2 years ago

I have almost zero ideas for this year, but last year I gave 25 yo DS an air b&b gift card and he loved it. He and GF stay in air b&b’s frequently.

The same DS likes hawaiian print or other unusual print shirts, so I have gotten him this already from Old Navy.

DH and DS also really like the t-shirts from Red Canoe — which I think I learned about here. Cool designs and great quality heavy cotton. I bought oldest DS a messenger bag there last year and he loved it.

Zalco/bring back Sophie! thanked Sueb20
  • mtnrdredux_gw
    2 years ago

I think that was me who posted last year about Red Canoe. Thx for reminding me! I wanted to get DS a sweatshirt and they have some nice ones.

The comment on advent calendars above reminded me I need a few small gifts for others.

Some of interest:

Zalco/bring back Sophie! thanked mtnrdredux_gw
  • OutsidePlaying
    2 years ago

I am trying to buy local as much as possible this year. Made my first Christmas purchase Saturday at a local leather goods shop. They really have some nicely crafted leather goods, so we bought our boys and oldest grandson small leather credit card holders with a money clip. They do embossing so we had their initials embossed on each one. I believe they do mail order if anyone is interested and they are having an anniversary sale right now with 20% off.

https://www.holtzleather.com/?gc_id=972999791&h_ad_id=266390984584&gclid=CjwKCAjwzOqKBhAWEiwArQGwaAYEv0AwErPgSJH84DP48ldPXR4lYeAJ_vDj79Ykv0p0txZcEhHIrBoCfB8QAvD_BwE

Zalco/bring back Sophie! thanked OutsidePlaying
  • Sara
    2 years ago

So many great ideas above-I also love giving and getting gifts and would be very sad with nothing to open. My dad always bought my mom a ton-we lost him in august and so I want to make sure she has some great stuff to open. The puzzles above are perfect! I just got an order of vanilla beans from a co-op I belong to so will sous vide them with bourbon to have extract to give. Usually buy a book for everyone-need to start looking and ordering. Last year, two sets of friends dropped cocktail kits off since we couldn’t host a party and it was the best-for instance, cider and cinnamon sticks and fireball, so I might steal that for local friends (thinking of canning Bloody Mary mix with the last of my tomatoes and giving with wasabi vodka?). Bright side is we are big Xmas idea list makers in our family so always get lots of ideas.

Zalco/bring back Sophie! thanked Sara
  • mtnrdredux_gw
    2 years ago

Oh in re games .... Jenga (all sizes, indoor, outdoor)

Also, Chameleon

• Funkyart
    2 years ago

I also ordered some Canoe shirts for one of my nephews last year on Mtn's recommendation. I have selected a few more for this Christmas for my brother and another nephew. Such unique designs and great quality!

• Funkyart
    2 years ago

Sorry to keep posting -- but I know i keep checking back for ideas so thought I'd share more for others.

When I give gift cards, cash or even donation acknowledgments, I find yeti cups are an easy "package" .. most of them perfectly fit a gift card and they definitely hold cash. The year my dad had open heart surgery, my sister donated to the American Heart Association and wrote a note to include in a variety of red Yetis for each of us.

They come in an array of colors, sizes and $$-- wrap in a bow and you're good!

I especially like the graphite color for men-- so handsome.

• Sueb20
    2 years ago

Funky, I do a similar gift for many HS graduations but with a tervis (lots of designs and some custom options) and a gift cert for the college bookstore inside.

Some of my family members love Yeti cups (DH pretty much only drinks out of his at home) but for some reason, I can’t stand drinking from a metal cup!

I would like to stop gift exchanges with certain people who I know don’t really enjoy shopping or selecting gifts — and frankly it shows in their gifts — how do you tell people you want to put an end to the gift exchange?

• mtnrdredux_gw
    2 years ago

how do you tell people you want to put an end to the gift exchange

This. I have actually acquired new, additional gifting relationships the last few years, WTH?

I've said this before, but some gifting situations now feel like a tax to me. People to whom I feel obligated to give a gift, but know very little about, and never get a thank you. Yet I think they would be insulted if I didn't give them a gift.

• Sueb20
    2 years ago

I actually enjoy the selection and giving of gifts, but I just don’t want to receive gifts from certain people — so obvs the ”fair” thing is to just quit the gift giving on both sides. With one particular friend, I think I will suggest that we ”treat ourselves” to a nice dinner out instead of gifts.

• Sara
    2 years ago

Two BIG hits this year I want to recommend:

Klask: https://boardgamegeek.com/boardgame/165722/klask

We bought this for our son’s 12th birthday but almost everyone who comes over loves it. Easy but competitive and so much laughter.

Azul: beautiful tile board game that is pretty easy to learn but still challenging: https://boardgamegeek.com/boardgame/230802/azul

Zalco/bring back Sophie! thanked Sara
  • mtnrdredux_gw
    2 years ago

We got Klask as a gift last year. It was fun. Only thing i don't like is how big/bulky it is.

• roxanna7
    2 years ago

mtn and Sueb -- if they don't send thank-you notes, then let them BE insulted. As for stopping gift-giving, just be upfront and tell those folk that you are cutting back from now on (and please do not send me any gifts)/ or "I'm going to do charitable giving instead" (whether or not you actually DO).

Again, if they are insulted, who cares? They aren't on your primary gift list anyway!

Zalco/bring back Sophie! thanked roxanna7
  • sushipup1
    2 years ago

I agree with Sueb20, just tell the other participants that you are not playing that game this year (or for the future). Maybe suggest a donation to the other's favorite charity.

Zalco/bring back Sophie! thanked sushipup1
  • Tina Marie
    2 years ago

@Sueb20 I do not drink out of metal cups either. My husband has been gifted a few tervis, and he will use one of them - for travel only. The others I have given away.

Honestly, I don't have anyone I feel obligated to give a gift. That kind of takes away the joy!

As for ending a gift exchange, one of my very best friends (for over 40 years now) decided a couple of years ago, let's just stop. We both have everything we need and want and it was becoming a chore to come up with gift items. We make a date to get together during the season.

ETA: I absolutely do send out Christmas cards, quite a few actually! I love to send and receive cards, especially from those out-of-state.

Zalco/bring back Sophie! thanked Tina Marie
  • Feathers11
    2 years ago

Yes, and this year's supply chain issues provide the perfect segue to bowing out of previous gift exchanges.

My town has a number of small, independently owned shops that I'll start with first. But my dilemma sometimes is, am I buying this because it's the item in the store that would best suit the receiver, or is it something he/she would really like? This thread is a good reminder to start early.

Zalco/bring back Sophie! thanked Feathers11
  • Funkyart
    2 years ago

I don't ever want someone to feel slighted or embarrassed because they did or didn't receive a gift. I started something last year that gave me great joy-- meant a lot to me personally.. and hopefully meant a lot to the recipients. It's the size and type of gift that I don't think needs reciprocation and basically represents a wish.. nothing more or less.

I purchased a bunch of smaller gifts-- last year it was Wish Papers and this sweet Bird Seed gitt bag to give to a variety of friends/neighbors. Both are under $20-- much under. I gave some as anonymous gifts on door steps-- others were accompanied by a note. I love the gift of a wish and hope in the new year.

Wish papers are from $10-15 and have some lovely designs (just a few below)

I especially love the birdseed gift for the packaging and message-- i am of swedish descent and intend to send to other family/friends who are swedish .. and those who are not. I left a few of these on neighbors' doorsteps also. I hesitated to share this idea because I haven't purchased mine yet this year-- they did sell out last year! LOLOL.. so don't buy them all up!

Message on bag: "It is a Scandinavian Tradition to feed the birds on Christmas Day to ensure Good Luck in the year ahead. Spread birdseed on your doorstep Christmas morning for Luck in the New Year."

• bbstx
    2 years ago

My husband’s family was giving gifts down to the great nieces and nephews, most of whom we never saw nor communicated with during the year. It was burdensome and no fun. Finally I wrote each of them, thanked them for what they had given us in the past, told them we needed nothing, and suggested that we all give to a charity of our choice instead. It worked!

My grad school roommate and I give each other flowers at Christmas. She sends me a poinsettia and I find out when she is having her annual dinner with friends and send the centerpiece. Even though she comes ”home” for Christmas and I usually see her, sending flowers is so much easier on both of us than trying to haul gifts back in a suitcase.

Zalco/bring back Sophie! thanked bbstx
  • Feathers11
    2 years ago

I love that idea, Funkyart! I've been racking my brain for a gift for my neighbors who helped me out a few times since I've moved earlier this year. They are an elderly couple and I don't really know them well. But they do celebrate Christmas, and they have young grandkids. The birdseed would be perfect.

Zalco/bring back Sophie! thanked Feathers11
  • blfenton
    2 years ago

Another one here who gives cash to the kids now. I have boys who both have partners and honestly it is easier and more fun to shop for the girls than for my sons. (Don't tell them I said that).

They are all big outdoor adventure people so I give a bag of essentially stocking stuffers - hand/foot warmers, fuel for camping stoves, stuff sacks for camping, ski socks etc, and then a cheque. . I also give them a gift card to a favourite restaurant.

Zalco/bring back Sophie! thanked blfenton
  • Funkyart
    2 years ago

This is a silly gift-- but my (young adult) niece actually squealed and giggled when I gave it to her last week as just a pick-me-up gift. (I had previously given her my all-clad belgian waffle maker)

I actually found this when reading reviews for maple syrup made in bourbon barrels-- there are many brands some associated with well known bourbons (like Pappy's). I only have this image saved but i think I will be purchasing the Blis brand. They range in price from $15-30 .. all good quality maple syrup (or so the reviews suggest)

• Zalco/bring back Sophie!
    Original Author
    2 years ago

Funky, I am so grateful for the Barbour tip. I picked up scarves for the boys and my husband, Dopp kits for the boys, and a wallet for my husband. I love plaid :-)

Plus the wish paper is fabulous, thank you.

Mtn, the large sized Jenga is a brilliant idea.

As for gifts for friends, my go-tos are Champagne, and and/or flowers. Large bouquets of red or white tulips, or roses feel festive to me.

For neighbors, I bake shortbread or gingersnaps, and add a Christmas ornament and Starbucks card.

For the gifts Mtn calls taxes, I get a gift card and am done with it.

For friends who are Italian, German or British, I send panettone, stollen, or British fruit cake early in the season.

• tishtoshnm Zone 6/NM
    2 years ago

Funky, I think I mentioned Duke Cannon last year. The scents are nice but I discovered I am not as found of my dh being scented all the time now.

Some of the fun gifts I have given:

1. A helium tank, around $30-40 at a party supply store. Fill up a balloon and talk. We laugh and laugh when we do this. The inspiration came from a spot on the Tonight Show with Jimmy Fallon and Morgan Freeman.

2. Hot potato game: Toss it around and if you are stuck with it when the music stops, you get an electric shock. There are different settings for the shock but it is fun to play. I found it on Ama***.

3. We also do gifts of food that are not on the regular shopping list or can be fun. One kid got a box full of Pop-Tarts. Some of our craft breweries have craft root beer that comes in a pint. I gave that to my nephews but forgot to tell the mom that it was root beer. We have also bought bags of just cereal marshmallows. Once Santa left each kid a box of Peppermint Jojo's from Trader Joe's. Silly but fun.

4. This year I hope to order some of the pajama bottoms with their dog's face on them that were posted here last year.

We are at a loss for in-laws and what to give. It seems no matter what we give there is some complaint but there is still an expectation that we give something.

Zalco/bring back Sophie! thanked tishtoshnm Zone 6/NM
  • sushipup1
    2 years ago

Oakley, please remember that many people do not recognize your "Holy Season" yet still enjoy the holidays.

2 years ago

About 10 years ago I started getting some older family and friends -- my mil, husband's aunts, older friend/neighbour -- amaryllis bulbs. I've been doing it every year since. I can usually find them for around $10-$15 each in November at Home Hardware or Canadian Tire here in Canada. It's a bit of cheer on the windowsill and something fun to watch before it blooms.

Thank you for the reminder about inlaws, tish. My widowed MIL has always been easy to shop for, but she recently met and moved in with a new "companion", and I'll have to get something for him or them together. Though an amaryllis and a bag of birdseed could work : ) .

Tying this in with the adult kids and new homes thread, I do like to give a bird feeder (preferably Droll Yankee) and bag of birdseed, and/or hummingbird feeder, as a housewarming present.

• bbstx
    2 years ago

Becky, I totally forgot about the amaryllis bulbs. For 2 years now, one of the members of our cookbook club has given us the wax covered amaryllis bulbs that need nothing except light to bloom. I love it. That is my kind of plant!! I hope I can find some this year to give the neighbors. I have been giving them tea towels made by an artist in our cookbook group, but I think that idea has gotten stale.

Zalco/bring back Sophie! thanked bbstx
  • krystalmoon2009
    2 years ago

M sons are both married, and I have decided this year I am getting each married couple something personal to open and then also wrapping $100's in boxes to throw them off. The grands will get presents to open. We have done beach trips the last 2 years for the whole family but next year is our 40th anniversary so we told the kids no family beach trip in 2022 so we can celebrate by ourselves.

Zalco/bring back Sophie! thanked krystalmoon2009
    Original Author
    2 years ago

Sushi, two people who have claimed to observe Christmas religiously (both Oakley and Tina have stated this) were discussing the place of gift giving within their religious tradition. It is a fact that gift giving on Christmas stems from a religious observance, just as Oakley states. And while Christmas is strictly secular for most people, surely those who still observe its religious meaning may discuss that amongst themselves.

• Tina Marie
    2 years ago

I'll remove my comments, but Oakley, I have never said it is wrong to give gifts, etc. I also said they we do give gifts but do not place priority on the gifts. Each family should do what pleases them.

Original Author
    2 years ago

Tina, removing your comment serves no purpose. You said nothing wrong. I was simply agreeing with Oakley about how gift exchanges became a thing on Christmas. Times change in response to circumstances. Gifts change. Religiously, the gifts of love and grace are probably more important than Barbour sarves, no? Oakley being right does not make you wrong.

• sushipup1
    2 years ago

The magi, as you know, were wise men--wonderfully wise men-who brought gifts to the Babe in the manger. They invented the art of giving Christmas presents. Being wise, their gifts were no doubt wise ones, possibly bearing the privilege of exchange in case of duplication. And here I have lamely related to you the uneventful chronicle of two foolish children in a flat who most unwisely sacrificed for each other the greatest treasures of their house. But in a last word to the wise of these days let it be said that of all who give gifts these two were the wisest. Of all who give and receive gifts, such as they are wisest. Everywhere they are wisest. They are the magi.

From "The Gift of the Magi" by O. Henry

https://americanliterature.com/author/o-henry/short-story/the-gift-of-the-magi

• Tina Marie
    2 years ago

@Zalco/bring back Sophie! oh i know, but i am tired of the bickering and I had not even seen your comments. i certainly do not feel wrong for how our family celebrates Christmas.

Zalco/bring back Sophie! thanked Tina Marie
    2 years ago

bbstx, I think the waxed amaryllis bulbs are getting only more popular and easier to find.

I like the regular ones, because I keep the bulbs. My mil gives me hers after blooming so my collection is growing : ) . They all bloom between Christmas and Easter, which is lovely here in Alberta where we don't green leaves until Spring!

2 years ago

It is a fact that gift giving on Christmas stems from a religious observance

The gift giving, like Christmas, actually goes back to pre-Christmas Saturnalia. The ancient Romans loved giving gifts in December : ) .

My high school Latin teacher would be so proud of me for remembering lol.

Original Author
    2 years ago

Sushi, that story still brings on the waterworks for me.

2 years ago

i certainly do not feel wrong for how our family celebrates Christmas

Each family has to figure out what works best for them, and it depends on the family.

Our extended family is getting large and unwieldy with all of our kids growing up and pairing off and having kids, and thank goodness early on in our marriage they stopped the stupid gag gifts. The ones my husband and I got always went straight to the Goodwill in the New Year. I also hated some of the terrible gifts my kids got from family when they were little -- often very noisy battery-consuming things, like a plastic hammer that said BANG BANG, and a stick horse that neighed when a button in the ear was pressed (I did surgery on that one in the middle of the night, much to my child's shock and disappointment the next day).

One sil gives everyone in the family a pair of socks. Another of my husband's family members who lives locally gives each family a selection of homemade cookies. The sil who lives across the country gives nothing but sends cards. Another puts lottery tickets in a Christmas card to each family member. We have a farm, so often we give beef : ) . Two of our nieces have had kids in the past few years, so it's fun to have little ones to shop for; I've been getting board/picture books.

With my kids getting older, and now establishing their own households, things are changing yet again. Plus on my shopping list I am down one girlfriend and up one boyfriend lol. Just to keep me on my toes...

Original Author
    2 years ago

Saturnalia is big at my house :-) I have a son born on the 17th. But the fact that the Church coöpted a pagan festival for its own ends does not negate the significance of gift giving within the Christmas story. Plus Saturnalia is not Christmas.

• smhinnb
    2 years ago

My husband also likes casual button-up shirts, similar to the Old Navy one Sueb20 posted above. I'm going to try ordering something for him from UNTUCKit this year.

About Us | UNTUCKit

There is also a company local to us that makes made-to-measure shirts that are really cool. I am considering getting hubby a GC to have a custom shirt made.

• Bumblebeez SC Zone 7
    2 years ago

I would just like to say I would be very happy receiving socks for Christmas particularly if they were SmartWool.

• Bumblebeez SC Zone 7
    2 years ago

some good ideas from Nick Lewis's favorite Etsy shops

https://youtu.be/MUucDCcroD0

• Renovator Girl
    2 years ago

I was reminded how useful warm knitted hats are on a family camping trip this summer.

This year, everyone is getting a printout with a selection of hat knitting patterns. I'm going to ask them all to pick a pattern and let me know their favorite color(s). Throughout the year, they'll get their hats as I finish them.

• lakeaffect_gw
    2 years ago

We aren't christian so celebrate the solstice, but the only people I buy gifts for are my husband and daughter, but we now have a son in law, so I guess I have 3 on my list now. In laws and siblings get canned stuff, we make some favs and always add a new item, and while not cheap to ship, at least canning is relatively economical.

Funky, this is a great homemade granola recipe:

https://www.finecooking.com/recipe/dried-cherry-and-coconut-granola

And for our new son in law's recent birthday, we ordered a package of vegan "meat" from The Very Good Butchers and it got rave reviews from the kids. Neither we nor the kids are vegan, but we are all trying to eat less meat, and to only eat locally sourced meat when we do:

https://www.verygoodbutchers.com/

• Jilly
    2 years ago

Wanted to share a few deals today for popular items:

https://www.buzzfeed.com/melanie_aman/amazon-epic-daily-deals-october?origin=hshp

(Scroll to bottom for more on the A-zon site.)

Sponsored
Mary Shipley Interiors
Average rating: 4.8 out of 5 stars32 Reviews
Columbus OH Premier Interior Designer 10x Best of Houzz