SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
helbrod

Bosch refrigerator "peeling" / spots

helbrod
2 years ago
last modified: 2 years ago

Anyone else have this issue with any newer bosch appliances? There IS a coating on these and the true stainless underneath is lighter. I am having 1 door replaced. Now the other door has a spot Wondering if this is a factory issue? I use soft cloths and water to clean. The thing is 1 year old.

Comments (114)

• Juan Bengochea
    last year

I have the same issue with stains on a Bosch 800. It has been in use for a little over a year. i have no faith that Bosch will do anything about it. i also had issues with the ice maker. I had to wait over a month to get an appointment with Bosch repair service. They charged me $150 to tell me that I needed to defrost the refrigerator before they coild determine if the ice maker was truly broken. I am going to have a hard time ever buying something from Bosch again. The only reason I went with the current refrigerator was that it was available during the pandemic supply chain issue. F#%ck Bosch!

• Gillian Shaw
    last year

Sadly I agree. Doubtful they will do anything. Mine is just getting worse and worse by the month!

• Related Discussions

Miele floor model vs new Bosch? Stove/cooktop is next!!

Q

Comments (70)
    SO, there was no word from Mr. Appliance today AND Miele was also unable to reach him ??? Did they not offer to put you on their in house guy's sched. at that point ? Do not disagree with you about EXPECTING a working DW - floor model or not. However, you didn't get that and there is no going back to square one. It's like a wrecked car - it's not EVER going to be unwrecked. You chose to pursue a remedy and that's what has turned into a fiasco! I'm not convinced that if you had gone in on the 9th ( which makes it only 20 days, not a month) that FL Builders wouldn't have stonewalled you then too. Perhaps they would have convinced you to have it repaired and they would have sent their "guy" who just may have been from your favorite: new york minute - then how much agro would you be writing about. Additionally, your first contact with the actual manufacturer who underwrites the warranty was on the 15th or 16th making it 5-7 business days depending on how you count em. Now 7 days doesn't exactly make me feel all warm and fuzzy but it's not an eternity either. I'm more concerned @ MR. Appliance going AWOL and Miele's inability to get movement. The svc. cntr. is still open the left coast crowd - maybe another call to them for an explanation @ Mr. App. at least. Maybe they'd bump you up their guy's list - though the person to make that happen won't be in until tomorrow on the East Coast. "What silly things have I done? " Not exactly silly , but going back to the unhelpful , and stonewalling dealer to expedite the repair and alter the terms of the deal ( xtended warranty refund ) was not your finest moment. I understand you wanting to be rid of this mess, and I hope you can get you $$$ quickly - but prepare yourself for another battle with FL. B and your cc co. If it (battle) doesn't happen, great - but you'll drink less and have fewer grey hairs if in fact it shakes out that way. Remember the dealer experience when they wanted your $$$ - think about how they'll act when asked to give it back to you ! Be sure to get EVERYTHING IN WRITHING from the dealer when returning the DW.
    ...See More

Bosch 800 Appliances

Q

Comments (7)
    Have you read about the exploding glass on the wall ovens? Bosch is one of them. If you haven't read anything in regards to it, here is a thread that will give you some insight of that problem and at the very least you will be aware that this could happen to your oven. It appears that this self cleaning/window shattering isn't limited to Bosch either from what I've seen on other Houzz threads. https://www.houzz.com/discussions/3772064/bosch-oven-door-glass-shattered-during-self-clean
    ...See More

Black stainless steel appliances peeling?

Q

Comments (14)
    Sure, if it started peeling/flaking on its own you could continue doing it, but the likelihood of it coming off uniformly all at one time is vanishingly small. If you try that, the refrigerator will look like it has psoriasis. But, hey, it's your refrigerator so you should do whatever you want with it. Just don't revisit this in a year asking how to make a scabby-looking refrigerator pristine after you've picked at or scraped the finish, and possibly also damaged the underlying surface. ;-)
    ...See More

touch up rust spots and peeling paint on edges of sub zero shelves

Q

Comments (2)
    Even without seeing the issue, I'm sure it is possible. Is it practical? Do you want to expend the time to learn the basics of the chemical or mechanical stripping, surface passivation, and painting aspects of auto body work; to spend the money to acquire, if needed, a sand-blasting rig, or chemical stripping tank, and other tools? Even a barely passible job, if intended to last, will require some knowledge. How old is this SZ?
    ...See More
  • Andy Close
    last year

Unfortunately they make you jump throgh a lot of hoops to make any progress. The after sales service is horrendous. I sat on hold for an hour once. Just keep persevering, insisting, and elevating to managers. Try referring them to this thread also. Good luck.

• artemis78
    last year

Did decide to go ahead with taking a risk on this one, so will be keeping an eye out for these issues...fingers crossed! Thanks, all, for the updates.

• jezcat4376
    11 months ago

We are looking at Bosch also. Saw a lovely one at Bestbuy. Went to Lowe’s and the one on display has all the stainless problems referred to in this thread. If I could get a panel ready I might do it but my cabinets are white and no longer made by kitchen Craft.
    Can’t believe Bosch won’t own up to their manufacturing defect.
    I’ve never seen this on anyone’s fridge of other brands.

• Gillian Shaw
    11 months ago

Yes and they seem to just not care

• Andy Close
    11 months ago

I agree with Gillian, poor customer care. We ended up with a Samsung that we are so happy with. A massive bonus with the Samsung is the multitude of interchangeable door panels they offer. I would have gone for the door that syncs to the ipad, bit too nodern for our kitchen though. Btw, after the refund and new purchase we ended up getting a $600 check back from BestBuy for the price difference! Good luck.

• Kelly Metz
    8 months ago
    last modified: 8 months ago

I purchased my Bosch refrigerator (B36CL80EN S/02) in May of 2020. The right top door peeled. We got a free replacement door around November of 2021. We were seasonal at the time. The frig had received very light use and wearing was severe, but only on right door. Rest of frig was fine. It's August of 2023. The right door is again wearing, left is fine, but two drawers are also showing small areas of wear. Obviously a manufacturer's defect. And the fact that left door is fine makes me wonder if the coating was applied too thin on door and drawers that are showing wear. We bought an entire package of Bosch appliances. The finish should last the life of the appliance.

• Gillian Shaw
    8 months ago

i agree it should last for the life of the appliance Bosch’s stance seems to be we (the consumer) are to blame as we MUST have used improper cleaning products. However, at the same time I bought the dishwasher and slide in oven/range, same model, sane finish, all cleaned identically, no problems at all on the either of these. Sadly I am resigned to have my refrigerator contine to peal away until I get so tired of it i will buy a new one! Will definateky not be a Bosch!!!!!

• Kelly Metz
    8 months ago

Gillian, For now I'm thinking of exploring some type of refrigerator covering. If anyone has done this and likes their solution, please post what product you used and pictures. Thanks.

• Cindy Harris
    8 months ago

We have a 3 door Bosch Refrigerator with the same issue as Kelly. Now I am noticing spots on the freezer. I called called Bosch but because it wasn’t within 30 days, we were told that we could order new panels at our own expense.
    I am very unhappy about this. It seems to be getting worse.

• Andy Close
    8 months ago

My condolences to you. its a shame that people only see this thread after they have the issue. Persevere with them, it will be hard work but they’ll take care of you. Good luck.

• artemis78
    8 months ago

Out of curiosity, how long did it take for you to notice the spots? We're coming up on six months keeping a close watch for this issue, and so far so good--but wondering if it's just too early to be noticing any potential issues?

• Kelly Metz
    8 months ago

My experience was to notice the door within the first year but the drawer wear didn't show up until three years later.

• J Sk
    8 months ago
    last modified: 8 months ago

Following, have same fridge bought while ago but we still didn't move in, so I am a little nervous reading that post. If I didn't get solution wit h US customer service, I would write to German headquarters ( email on internet) and complain about product and US customer service. This is not acceptable.

• Cindy Harris
    8 months ago

We have had this refrigerator 2.5 years and exactly like Kelly, we noticed the doors the first year and the bottom freezer door issue just started happening.

Full disclosure: I thought the door issue was the adhesive it coming off all the way from the protective plastic the refrigerator was shipped in. I used all the recommended Bosch cleaning stuff on it to no avail. Then, I tried goo-off, rubbing alcohol and wipes from another brand. It helped the top right door some but made the freezer door worse.

Thank you for the info on contacting bosch. I will give it a try!

• artemis78
    8 months ago

Thanks! We have noticed the protective covering—it makes me nuts but my partner loves finding a spot we missed so he can peel it off. From what I can tell, some of that’s a result of Bosch putting the covering on before assembly so some of it is under screws.

Our newer model does have a warning not to use anything but soap and water to clean it (including their own cleaning wipes—!!) and we have been diligently following that—hopefully it helps! We otherwise like it a lot so far.

• Andy Close
    8 months ago

The cleaning instructions are very ambiguous. you should only use a damp micrfiber cloth and if necessary a little mild dish soap. Ours deterirated in about 8 months. Customer service told me the warranty was void if we’d ever used wipes on it. First thing the service tech did was get his Bosch wipes out. He gave me a couple of samples. Then he set to work and made the problem twice as bad as it was when he arrived! Needless to say, we got a full refund and bought a Samsung, which was cheaper and a better fridge.

• Teresa Lyons
    7 months ago

We have the same problems with finish! Extremely frustrating and unacceptable. In the 30 plus years of purchasing stainless steel appliances, this has NEVER happened! Bosch wants to blame us. Our cleaning has been exactly as manual suggests as well as using Bosch products. We're seriously thinking of a class action lawsuit.

• Andy Close
    7 months ago

Sorry to hear that. Please count me in. A failed coating is bad enough, blatantly refusing to acknowledge the defect is pure arrogance and ignorance. If it were a car, there would have been a recall by now!

• MizLizzie
    7 months ago

I just gave up my dream of an ”all Bosch kirchen” because there’s no way I am buying one of their fridges after this. Our “hair dryer” method of repair finally failed utterly, and instead of the fancy Bosch we wanted, we just boight another Samsung at Costco with another extended warranty. The ice maker is down in the freezer this time, so maybe it will work. Frankly, I’d I’d rather live with that uncertainty. I hope those of you affected are writing reviews about this all over the internet.

• Connie Koski
    6 months ago

Is this similar to what eveyone is discussing?

• Teresa Lyons
    6 months ago

The Bosch refrigerator we have is doing the exact as you're experiencing. Frankly, their finish is flawed! We have gone through hell with these people in trying to explain how poorly made their product is. The first refrigerator stopped cooling altogether and was replaced under warranty. Now the the finish. Our last recourse will be filing a lawsuit!

• Teresa Lyons
    6 months ago

I spoke to Bosch again today and was advised their extended warranty does not cover anything "cosmetic". My refrigerator, which has been replaced due to the first one stopped cooling. Now the refrigerator finish is completely failing. peeling and looks absolutely awful. Now the microwave letters for start/end, etc., that you would expect to be engraved are essentially decals that are falling off. Frankly, I sure wish I knew how to file a class action suit. Unfortunately, we're in Hawaii and most often receive very little support.

• Andy Close
    6 months ago

For the majority of the items they sell in this country, Bosch are relying on the fantastic reputation that was deservedly associated with their brand back in the day. The more junk they mass produce and fail to stand behind, the quicker their reputation will be destroyed. They will then struggle to build that reputation back up. Aside from the disappointed consumers, I feel sorry for the employees of yesteryear who Bosch have failed miserably.

• MizLizzie
    6 months ago

i get it, I do. That said, I haven’t bought anything but Bosch appliances in years. Their dishwashers and cooktops are, IMHO, excellent. I love my ovens. Speed oven is mediocre, yes. You couldn’t give me a Bosch fridge. It makes me wonder if these failures are seen more in their appliances that are designed and marketed mostly for the US market?

• Gillian Shaw
    6 months ago

My continued condolences on the continuing refrigerator finish failures. Bosch is continuing to blame the consumer versus taking responsibity for a clear defect in finish and/or application thereof. I had a Bosch repair person out for my dishwasher the other day (user error, both dishwasher and oven are great) and made the mistake of mentioning the fridge He proceeded to tell me it was clearly my fault as I must have used something to clean it that caused the damage Being called a liar in your own home is not my idea of customer service

• J Sk
    6 months ago
    last modified: 6 months ago

What about leaving a message with complaint on their Facebook or Instagram page under their posts? Maybe if a few people wrote about that issue, they would be more pressured to resolve it?

• Teresa Lyons
    6 months ago

Question to all? Has anyone ever had peeling/finish issues on a stainless steel appliance? My husband and I have purchased numerous stainless steel appliances throughout many many years of buying appliances and never once have we experienced anything like this! It's not the consumer Bosch, it's your faulty finish. If Bosch had any integrity, they would issue a recall!

• J Sk
    6 months ago

As much as I understand ( have the same fridge but we didn't use it yet that's why I am following this discussion) this is not stainless steel peeling per se but the stainless steel is covered with some film to diminish fingerprinting issues and that film is cracking or wearing out

• artemis78
    6 months ago

I am hopeful that maybe they have stopped using whatever the anti-fingerprinting film was and that's why we haven't experienced this issue with our newer Bosch refrigerator--because for sure that thing is endlessly covered in fingerprints! 🤣 Definitely my least favorite thing about it, although I realize that our only other stainless appliance is our range hood, which isn't really touched much so I probably wouldn't know if it were fingerprint-prone. In theory stainless steel without a coating on it shouldn't be able to peel, I wouldn't think?

• rebunky
    6 months ago
    last modified: 6 months ago

My “fingerprint resistant” fridge, which I posted photos of above some time ago, now has rust where the peeling is. Yes rust!

ETA: Actually i just looked at my previous photos and the rust is mostly on the right edge of the water/ice dispenser which was not really the main issue earlier. UGH!!!

The white ugly ”bubbling” area around the handles is spreading. Freezer drawer has spread as well.

I cannot afford a fridge replacement right now, so I just give it the stink eye at least 10x a day! 😖😤😡

• Teresa Lyons
    6 months ago

Suggest writing and including Houzz link regarding all discussions. https://www.houzz.com/discussions/6178771/bosch-refrigerator-peeling-spots#28752135BSH Home Appliances Corporation
    Customer Service Division US/MA-CSCN5
    Customer Support Representative II

BSH Home Appliances Corporation
    Tel: 1.800.944.2904
    Fax: 949.809.6111
    4000 MLK Jr. Blvd.
    New Bern, NC 28562
    www.bsh-group.com/us/

• Dan Jones
    5 months ago
    last modified: 5 months ago

After finding this post about my refrigerator peeling I called Bosch service. The service guy just said it was out of warranty. I tried to explain this is a known problem; a defect in the product. I told him I only use water and he said water should not be used on stainless steel. I showed him the Bosch stainless conditioner provided by Bosch which actually state to clean with warm soapy water and finish with steel conditioner. Just ignored. Feeling frustrated and overwhelmed I decided to go ahead and pay for replacement vegetable compartment door, but later decided to cancel refusing to pay for something that is obviously a product defect and should be recalled. Instead I cancelled the service order and will write as many letters as necessary to get Bosh to refund the $200+ service call and refund all money paid on this product. Wish me luck. I will provide updates to this post. Encourage others to complain as well. Hoping Bosch will do the right thing and replace product refund money for all affected customers instead of forcing customer to pursue class-action. Please post pictures of your peeling stainless steel refrigerator or other peeling stainless steel Bosch Appliances. Product delivered and installed 9/1/2020. My previous frig while not as quiet or recognized as luxury - dependable brand was Sears Kenmore that I purchased in 2002 and lasted without any issue until 2020 when compressor finally failed. Bosch be warned this unacceptable and I work tireless and diligently for a FULL REFUND so I can buy a quality product. I WILL DEFINITELY NOT LET THIS STAND. PS: I was going to buy Bosch dishwasher but not now; think I will get Miele or Wolfe after Bosch refunds and haul off that junk refrigerator. After this experience I will never buy anything Bosch.

ser

• Dan Jones
    5 months ago
    last modified: 5 months ago

Quickly researching found instruction from Forbes about individuals filing class action law suits. My next step after sending letter if not resolved to my satisfaction is to start a consumer class action lawsuit seeking compensatory and punitive damages. I will keep this forum/thread updated.

How To Start A Class Action Lawsuit: 2023 Guide

• Andy Close
    5 months ago

Good luck Dan, I admire your tenacity. A few points; there is NO stainless steel that will be affected by water. All rules for stainless do not apply as the issue is the clear coat, which is applied on to the stainless. I told Bosch I wanted to replace the junk doors with the doors with the glass covering, they told me they would not fit, a statement I disagree with. We were fotunate enough to get a full refund and went with Samsung, cheaper and superior. Finally, rather than do a matching kitchen with Bosch appliances we changed to Wolf and Miele. More expensive but brilliant products. The Miele dishwasher is absolutely fantastic.

• Brie Beniot
    5 months ago

Thanks for sharing. I will also be asking for full refund including refund for the last service call for the problem, and small additional to account for the increase in price due to inflation. I too will switch to Miele / Wolf (cost more but I hope this time I will truly get a superior product). Bosch is no longer in my book as a quality product. I definitely will not buy anything Bosch ever again.

• HU-160521574
    5 months ago

I have noticed rhe same thing and mine is slightly over a year old and therefore womt likely be under warranty. om disappointed that this has happened

• Diana Garcia
    5 months ago

I have noticed peeling also on my veggie and fruit drawer. I only use microfiber towels to clean. Please let me know if anyone is filing a law suit, this is not acceptable. I spent close to 4k just on the refrigerator and it's only 2 years old. This is so annoying to walk by and see the ugly peeling on my fridge 😒

• Amy Lee Klein
    4 months ago

Chiming in to note we've had the same issues with our 800 series refrigerator. Seems we faired better than most as the peeling didn't start until we had it about 4 years. Now it's like a barn on fire and looks awful. Seems ridiculous that you can invest $10k in a suite of appliances and they look terrible in less than 5 years. (All of the lettering on our range rubbed off within the first year.)

We "upgraded" to Bosch in our forever home. Ironically the finish on our GE and Whirlpool appliances in previous homes lasted much longer than these did. SO DISAPPOINTING. Not what I expected from this brand, at all. My husband is a contractor and suggested Bosch to several clients. Now I feel like he needs to call them all and apologize! Step up Bosch and do the recall!

• Amy Lee Klein
    4 months ago

Chiming in to note we've had the same issues with our 800 series refrigerator. Seems we faired better than most as the peeling didn't start until we had it about 4 years. Now it's like a barn on fire and looks awful. Seems ridiculous that you can invest $10k in a suite of appliances and they look terrible in less than 5 years. (All of the lettering on our range rubbed off within the first year.)

We "upgraded" to Bosch in our forever home. Ironically the finish on our GE and Whirlpool appliances in previous homes lasted much longer than these did. SO DISAPPOINTING. Not what I expected from this brand, at all. My husband is a contractor and suggested Bosch to several clients. Now I feel like he needs to call them all and apologize! Step up Bosch and do the recall!

• Brie Beniot
    4 months ago

When I get time I look into how to file a class action lawsuit. At this point I just want 100% reimbursement so I can buy something else. Because of this experience I have cancelled
    My plans to buy anything else Bosch needed for my kitchen. Changing to Miele, Wolf, or even GE high end.

• HU-896625070
    3 months ago
    last modified: 3 months ago

I just started to contact Bosch...see the right door. They were so puzzled but its not a surprise complaint. sent a photo but don't expect traction after reading all the comments.

• Andy Close
    3 months ago

Im so glad they don’t build anything that flies, talk about ignorance and incompetence. Really surprised a German company would drop their standards this low.

• Cindy Harris
    3 months ago

So sorry! My refrigerator looks just like that too.

• Stephanie Kuhn
    3 months ago

Ive been dealing with this issue for 3 years they replaced oven panels and did it again were supposed to replace doors but now say their supplier is out of business. They offered a discount on a new one

• kbourne104
    2 months ago

We have been dealing with same issue for 4 yrs. Our 800 series refrigerator is peeling and looks like it is 20 years old. Our 4 yr old Bosch 800 series dual fuel stove had to be replaced at the end of 1yr. because the enamel inside the stove was flaking off. Bosch refussed to do anything. Our appliance store replaced them. Dont even want to tell you about the dishwasher. Bosch blames the consumer. We have used their produsts for 30 years. No more we are done with Bosch. Horrble customer service…

• artemis78
    2 months ago

We are coming up on one year with our 800 series fridge and while we thankfully haven’t had this issue yet, I’m wondering if it’s worth paying for the extended warranty (which we have to opt into before the original expires). Has anyone dealt with this issue under warranty vs. not? Does Bosch handle it any differently if it’s under warranty?

• Gillian Shaw
    2 months ago

Bosch has continually claimed the ussue us cosmetic and thus not covered under warranty so i wouidnt buy tgr extended warranty for this particular defect