SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
najames

Miele floor model vs new Bosch? Stove/cooktop is next!!

najames
12 years ago

I am in the process of retiring old appliances.

Our 12yr old Frigidaire side-by-side light stopped working, wasn't fried bulbs. It also started freezing sections in the refrigerator side. The back corner of the fridge was packed with crud and it had left a brown scorch mark on the white tile. It is a miracle it didn't catch on fire. We caught a Labor Day price match at Lowes for a Samsung RF263 Stainless Steel 26 Cu. Ft. French Door Bottom Freezer Refrigerator - RF263AERS. So far so good, my wife absolutely loves it, cost was $1200.

Next up is the 14year old Kitchenaid dishwasher. My wife said something didn't look right on the plastic upper rack supply tube. I checked it and found a 3" chunk of the top rack supply half broken off and a very large crack about 2/3 around it. Simple plastic replacement parts are about $100 for the plastic tube and it also probably needs a door seal since it leaves a small puddle on the floor, so I'm looking to replace it. I can get a unused Meile Optima II Stainless floor model for $850 vs a Bosch 800+ series from Plessers or somewhere for $900+. My wife likes the silverware trays and movable shelves, so which would you buy?? Something else?? They are both about the same quiet with power/water consumption slightly lower on the Bosch it appears. I trust the woman at the store, she knows her appliances. She said not to buy less than a 500 series from Bosch, or a Meile or Asko. They also have an Asko D5122XXLS floor model for a little less, I liked the construction, but it doesn't have a silverware tray and the other brands seem more well liked/reliable. I can't find much love for Asko.

I still need an electric stove/cooktop, ours has a bad spot on a ceramic burner. We tested induction with a $50 single burner Sanyo and love it. Ikea has induction cooktops for $999, would still need a stove. We don't use our existing old stove because it always leaves black crud in the food even though I've cleaned it several times. We use an old little dinky oven thing instead. The appliance sales woman said her old stove had a seal that dissolved, releasing black crud in the oven too. The old microwave/convection oven is too high for my wife to even use, parts of the display don't work either. The exhaust fan under it is basically useless and will be replaced by a hood. We recently purchased a nice Panasonic counter top microwave, like it.

Kitchen cabinets might be on the horizon too if I can score a deal. Have some estimates coming tomorrow, one for Merrilat Classics, one for 11 lines of currently unknown cabinets recommended highly by the appliance place, and one guy has Candelights and another line. I've looked at Ikea too, not sure of the quality and I'd need to get a 7ft wall built to use them over a peninsula.

Lots of reading to do, sigh.

Comments (70)

• najames
    Original Author
    12 years ago
    last modified: 9 years ago

Wow Antss, you are the Miele expert!!

On Wednesday afternoon they said they'd set up a pickup ASAP, but I haven't heard anything back yet, the paperweight is still sitting here. ASAP is a little slow here evidently, just like the extra week it took for delivery.

Cost was $850+tax+installation+extended warranty = $1199

I don't know if they took out a drain plug. The guy walked off to get a red intake hose and stuff, came back to connect it up. There was a wad of paper towel stuffed in the end of the drain hose when they brought it in, but I saw him pull it out. Nothing would surprise me about the failed installation.

I am not going to take it apart to check stuff until I know what they are doing. Even if I kept it, I'd want them to send a tech to check it out, plus to verify it was installed correctly, which this one is clearly not. The sales woman said they will send a tech out for ANY issues under warranty or extended warranty.

I have not called Meile or gone to the showroom, waiting to see what appliance store is going to do next. Hmm, I do remember seeing that showroom thing here in Boca over on Federal. The funny thing was how they stressed it would be best for them to install it vs me doing it. In case something went wrong it would be their responsibility. I would've done a MUCH better job.

I don't think it fills the sump or anything. When they tried to run it, there was no noise, nothing happened for a few seconds, then the red intake/drain light lit up. They tried it about 5 times before they left in a New York Minute.

Jim

• najames
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Antss,

I went to the Miele dealer, but my sales woman was out today. Didn't try to find the repair consultant who I've never met. I called and left a message for the sales woman, will follow up tomorrow, but she is usually good about calling back.

I also went to the Miele showroom today and talked with the guy. I told him where I bought it and he immediately knew they used "New York Minute" for installation and said they are very poor, but he has no control over a dealer's installation people. He provided a brief explanation about the warning lights coming on and also suggested having a Miele tech come out and check it out. He mentioned likely charging back costs to the installers, etc. I told him we'd refuse to pay anything for service, already paid for a faulty $149 installation and the machine has never run. He said he uses the same model daily and it should run for 20yrs without any problems once properly set up. **Sigh**

Bought on 10/28, installed on 11/8, and yes I still have an expensive doorstop. My wife is on strike so I washed a bunch of dishes by hand tonight. DOH, doh, DOH, doh!!!!

Jim

• Related Discussions

Dishwasher Showdown - Miele vs. Bosch. vs Maytag

Q

Comments (13)
    We moved about 2 years ago and thus I have recent experience with both Bosch and Miele dishwashers. Our old house had a Bosch Dishwasher (800 series) that was about 5 years old when we moved. When we moved into our new house it had a Kitchen Aid dishwasher and we realized in the first couple weeks that it needed to be replaced because: 1. it didn't clean the dishes and 2. it was ridiculously noisy. So, we replaced it with a Miele. We were going to buy a Bosch, but we got a really good deal on a Miele. Both dishwashers do a very good job cleaning the dishes and are equally quiet (i.e., if I am standing next to either of them I can't tell that the are running). All in all they are very similar so I will just list the things I find are different between them. My wife likes a clean look, so both dishwashers had hidden controls. Bosch: Pros: I really liked the light it had that lit up the floor red to tell you it was on and green to tell you it was finished. This way I didn't accidentally open the door when it was running. Cons: The little plastic wheel that are used to slide the bottom tray in and out kept falling off and/or breaking. On a positive, for some reason we were given a lot of extra wheels when it was installed (either by the installer, the company that sold it, or the manufacturer) so it was no problem to replace/fix, which indicated to me that someone anticipated this would be an issue. Miele: Pros - seems like a sturdy construction and we've had no problems at all so far. - 3D cutlery tray. We almost didn't get the Miele because of this, but it turns out this thing is great and far superior to the old style basket holder. It speeds up loading and unloading cutlery and is a big positive. I, however, think the new Bosch's have something similar. Cons - it doesn't have the light that lights up the floor, thus it is not uncommon for me to open the dishwasher while it is running. - the dang beep when it is finished running annoys me. I preferred the Bosch's green light on the floor.
    ...See More

Induction Cooktop ... Miele or Bosch

Q

Comments (13)
    Mary, my DW and I were finalizing our appliance choices when your original post got me scrambling to look at the installation instructions for the Thermador. My wife really likes that mirror finish so the Thermador is her top choice. Like you, we are planning to put a 30" oven underneath to maximize cabinet space. We had the chance to see both the Thermador and Miele induction cooktops live in their showrooms. I was leaning strongly towards the Miele before seeing the demos, but now I'm not so sure. Thermador - Pros - intuitive to use, probably like the Bosch models. Select hob, directly pick strength, boost if necessary. You can use the + and - as well, but I think that's only necessary to get to the 1/2 strengths, eg 5.5. Has individual timers for each element and supposedly a general timer. Miele - Pros - More powerful elements in general (the Thermador has the most powerful central one). Has a "suspend" function if I remember correctly where you can turn down all the elements at once until you return, then they go back to their original settings. Has individual timers as well. Not sure about the general timer, but I believe it does as well. Elements are "programmable" to different timed settings (check in manual). Warranty if you buy before the end of the month is 5 years (if installed by Miele) vs 2 years for Thermador. For us, the Thermador would be a better fit, even if they didn't offer the mirror finish. The Miele looks great with the uniform top and it has great functions, but it may be a bit too complicated for people who haven't studied the manual. We have frequent stay over guests and we feel that people would feel comfortable using the Thermador after a short introduction. The Miele uses different symbols, etc which may take a little getting used to. However, if we were in a different situation, we might pick the Miele since it's more customizable and has a longer warranty and reputation. Have you asked about warranties when you install ovens underneath cooktops? I'm pretty sure if they are the same manufacturer, the warranties remain intact. But what if they are different manufacturers? Eg Wolf oven under Thermador induction?
    ...See More

Kitchenaid KUDE60FXSS vs. Bosch vs. Miele vs. ???

Q

Comments (37)
    Sorry to hear about the KA issues. I was concerned as well when I got a KUDE70FVSS model in February 2010. The vent is located on the left side of the top edge of the door, next to the controls. It is not on the side of the door. KA's are deep and most will not fit flush under normal depth cabinets I hear. We have about a 1 1/4 inch granite countertop overhang which happens to be about the thickness of the door. So in our case we pushed the DW back until the door was lined up with the cabinet fronts but the door is completely underneath the granite countertop. It actually looks pretty good. (Our old WP was flush mounted with cabinet matching panels installed) We put the moisture strip supplied by KA on the bottom of the granite, for no good reason but figured why not. There is a small strip of cabinet under the granite that forms the top of the cabinet opening for the DW that is, of course, wood. If I put the moisture strip on it, it showed since the strip is a shiny material, so I left it off. I kept an eye on it for months to see what happened and I have never seen any moisture or noticed any steam coming from the vents at all, regardless of the time of day we run the DW. The wood under the granite and all around the DW looks fine and has never shown any sign of getting wet. Not sure what system they are using in this model but apparently it does not suffer from the same problems as the side vent models.
    ...See More

Need new dishwasher - Bosch 800 series vs Kitchenaid vs Miele?

Q

Comments (28)
    Most or all miele dealers carry no inventory ! So, being saddled with a non seller isn't really plausible. Mom , it's very surprising that your DISHES weren't dry if you used rinse aid. Things like tupperware lids, sippycup tops, and other plastic items with channels that collect water and have no mass - yes. But those things are often wet out of heated dry makes too. My MIL had a GE with a huge element in the bottom and all the grandkid's stuff was wet after a cycle in that too. Yes, Bosch has cheaper models, but feature for feature (which is hard to align) they are pretty much the same price. Now, factor in that Miele makes all of their units in Germany with astronomical wage scales, ships them here, and pays duty on them, makes me wonder if the Bosch stuff made in rural NC is a tad over priced in comparison ? Still fine machines - and yes, I have a couple of them as well as Mieles.
    ...See More
  • antss
    12 years ago

Just call Miele in NJ and set up an appointment for a Warranty Svc. call.

Let Corp, your dealer and NYM sort out the details. You paid for a working dishwasher AND a warranty AND an Extended Warranty. Avail yourself of them.

Miele should make it right with little hassle. The dealer on the other hand has no pressing incentive to move - they have your money and the only "income" they made was on the extended warranty, so the reality is they just aren't real motivated to do anything.

The NYM comment is very telling about their operation !

• najames
    Original Author
    12 years ago

I went to the dealer and requested a new model for compensation for all the problems/grief they've caused but they refused. The only thing they would do is give me another "more expensive" floor model.

Otherwise I can likely get a refund, nothing else.

I'm leaning towards the refund because I'm sick of FL Builders and their "I don't give a damn attitude". I can get a similar Bosch for $864 online, checking for prices now.

I'm also hosed because I can't get my old one back, it at least ran. Plus they also took the toe kick with them instead of installing it on this one.

• antss
    12 years ago

The Bosch @ $800 +/- is not as good a DW as the Optima.

Call Miele and Schedule a svc. call and/ or take FLB up on the offer for the upgrade. I'd be extremely surprised that two will malfunction out of the box even if they were floor samples sitting around for a while.

At the very least you'll have a fantastic product for half of new cost and well UNDER DEALER COST !

Don't get waylaid by the cost of the xtended warranty or installation - you'll be paying this on the Bosch or another 700-800 dollar model too!

Call Miele for an appointment, it's easy, and you don't even need to go into the history of the purchase. Just say installed a week ago and doesn't run now.

• mindstorm
    12 years ago

Hey, I second Antss. Why don't you give the Miele service guys a call requesting a "Warranty Svc " as antss indicated.

The guys you keep going back to to whom you want to give more or different money will send the same clowns to install the cheaper Bosch or whatever unit. Why would you assume they'd get *that* installation right?

Seriously, you've got a good model. For the fact that you paid a fraction of its cost, I'd say at least *try* to get it working for you - at manufacturer or installer or whoever - cost before you walk away from it entirely.

• Brent B
    12 years ago

najames,

We bought a floor model Optima G2143 a few years ago (2?) and the intake line showed up as a failure. We have perfect city water and good pressure. The dw would run (you could hear the sump drain any standing water) and then it would show up with red lights, no error code.

The dealer wasn't much help over the phone, but he sure offered to come for $75/hr. +traveling time, umm, no thanks. I told him that I would do it myself; he was doubtful that I could change the line (he was wrong of course). (I can't find the receipt for the line right now)
    He was also the individual that had installed the dw.

I don't know why the line crapped out, but it shouldn't have after only 2 years.

We dealt with a dealer over an hour away from us and we were 1 year outside of our warranty.

• najames
    Original Author
    12 years ago

I would not buy the Bosch from the same place (Florida Builder Appliances), they only want money. Now they don't return calls or follow up on what they promise for installation or service. I thought my sales woman cared but she didn't return my call either, even though she was there when I drove in. My concern is what if I REALLY get mad and want to return it if I have Miele service it (I'm being polite with word choice here). I can't even call them it says to dial zero, then says it is an invalid option, DOH.

When I went the manager's assistant "helped" me and offered a new model. Then she said it would cost another $800, I vetoed that real fast. The other demo model they offered was a Diamante (sp?) and it looked in worse shape than this Optima II, no idea if it's a better unit or not. I don't trust them on any of these.

OK, I DID call Miele out of sheer desperation today and spoke with George. He verified it is a new unit they got about 2yrs ago. He asked me to run some diagnostics and said it looks like an intake valve (pump?) unit is not working and needs to be replaced, maybe more. There is no water coming into the unit even though the valves under the sink are open, it's bone dry. After they come for a service call and look at it, they'll decide what they want to do next. Unfortunately they can't come out for TWO WEEKS.

I'm a very mild mannered guy, but they are pushing my buttons to the max.

You're giving me more bad vibes Ronniner!!!

Jim

• dodge59
    12 years ago

I really hope everything works out Jim. We have a 5 year old optima, that still looks and works as new, and never a problem with it. That is why I suggested you "Jump on the opportunity to get it, (based on my own personal experience with the Miele optima and countless hours of research both on GW and other web-sites.

And------ Nobody will accuse me of being a "Miele Hugger", just ask Antss.

Right now, I'm feeling kinda guilty for leading you that way, but I think most of us here, are hoping things work out right for you, and you will "Eventually" enjoy the same good service out of your Optima, as I and many other have.

Ya can yell at me, if it makes ya feel better!!!!

Gary

• najames
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Gary, don't feel guilty about it at all buddy. I chose it based on other reviews too. I originally wanted a Bosch but read about all the "stinky problems" people were having plus my DW spotted the separate silverware drawer on the Miele and said she wanted it.

First, if the installation would have been done properly and it didn't work, I'd know it was the unit for sure, As it stands now, I don't know exactly what's wrong. Secondly, if the store would've just provided a logical path for me (like trying a repair and if it doesn't work, then replacement) I'd be ok with it. Instead the installer control woman just said "refuse it and we'll bring out another one", then the installer said "you can't refuse it for another one because she doesn't know it's a floor model", then the repair control woman said they were coming to pick it up, then everyone else (including Robert at the Miele showroom) said to call Miele and have it checked out by a tech first. I know they'll have to rework the installation completely if they follow their own guideline, who knows what else needs to be done.

I'm trying to get estimates for new kitchen cabinets too but now this dishwasher crap has me consumed and beaten down to a bloody pulp. It shouldn't have to be this difficult.

My reward for all this? My wife is on strike and I am the designated dishwasher now. Priceless.

• rococogurl
    12 years ago

Some of us have lived through appliance h*ll and even beat it. Stay steady and listen to antss. You won't regret it. Some things aren't worth the work but an Optima is, especially at that price. Miss mine (sold house).

Surprised Gary didn't tout his Electrolux induction. People also love the Miele.

• dodge59
    12 years ago

My Elux Icon Induction is and has been great, but I believe it is a discontinued model, so other than the Rah Rah for Induction (in general), I don't say a lot about it.
    As we know, "Most" folks that have bought induction seem to love them, regardless of brand, Ya Thinks?

Gary

• antss
    12 years ago

james - you have simply been caught up in a perfect storm. This doesn't do anything for you but is a GREAT ILLUSTRATION for anyone reading this that is contemplating a DISCOUNT or a demo/used/floor model purchase.

1. Crappy dealers (yours?) exist everywhere and their bad behavior is not limited to purchases on secondary market appliances. You'd probably have the same experience with a New purchase there.

2. The disconnect between NYM's installers - scheduler/proj. mgr. - dealer is easy to grasp. Three different people at two different companies (neither of which are top notch to begin with) none of whom have a real vested interest in satisfying you. This is because , as I've alluded to already, the cost benefit ratio the dealer has on the sale of a demo unit. Should be easy to see NYM's position given their performance and pos. as the "low cost leader" in the market.

3. When buying secondary market goods YOU THE BUYER are assuming risk and possibly giving up some of that warm fuzzy feeling dealers can provide when you buy a new, regularly priced item. You are doing this in lieu of high prices - fact , you can't have everything. I don't care how goo a shopper and negotiator you are.

n.b. - new and full price is no guarantee either, as some dealers just aren't as good as others. See #1 above.

4. Some people are just not candidates for "deals", they need / want the security of a relatively secure and painless transaction devoid of risk and are resigned to paying for it. You have to decide whether the "risk" of getting the "deal" is acceptable to you - keeping in mind that you could be on the losing side of the bet sometimes. This is the critical thing people often forget , or simply ignore in these scenarios.

james - you are simply earning your discount now. Returning it to the dealer now might make you feel better , but you'll only be hurting yourself. You see the dealer didn't really make any money on this transaction, so giving you back your purchase price won't really effect them materially. You will however, be out all your time and energy and have been compensated ZERO so you'll really be the loser.

As long as you keep the DW , you'll have what you've earned so far. Dealing with Miele will add a little more frustration and up you "contribution" , but at least you'll have preserved what you've already put in the pot. Return the unit and you walk away from all of that.

The intake valve is the grey/tan "box" on the end of the hose that ronnier talked about. It's not a big deal to replace. Call Miele and ask if the svc. they are sending is a Miele Tech is an "authorized servicer" from a third party ? I mean you don't wanmt someone from NYM showing up ! This would explain the 2 wk wait. The Mirlr guy will be traveling all of FL and remember T'day is next week so no appts. Thurs. Fri. Sat. !

Just stay in the game - I think you'll be pleased 10 years from now.

• najames
    Original Author
    12 years ago

james - you are simply earning your discount now. The only thing I've "earned" is a $1199 worth of frustration and a doorstop until it works, nothing more. I already made an $1199 contribution too. Regardless of new or floor model it should run as a new model as we agreed, period. I can go to the landfill and get one that doesn't run for free, might even find my old one.

I called Miele back today, gave them the ref number to schedule a service call per George yesterday. I spoke with another nice guy (Chris?), answered more diagnostic questions, etc. He was sincerely upset that I bought it on 10/28 but it has never run, wow. Since a regular Miele tech isn't available until 11/29, he wants to send a contractor from a 3rd party (Mr. Appliance) ASAP to at least get us going. He claims they are "fully trained Meile contractors" and should do stuff properly, but I've heard that line of BS before about the NYM installers too. He said they'll remove it and reinstall it properly and it **should** run when they're finished, what a concept!! I am to call Miele again if there are ANY issues/questions, or if I want to schedule a certified tech from Meile to come out again. Oops, the guy from Mr. Appliance just called and said he received Miele's work order, asked about the problem, and will call tomorrow with appt schedule.
    I needed to drive back to FL. Builders Appliance for the 100th time since their phone system doesn't like me. She approved of the service call and asked to have the tech call her while here. We have an agreement that if it doesn't run properly, I can either get yet another Miele floor model sent out or get my money back. I still need to contact them again. The guy from Mr. Appliance said there should be a black cover for the bottom with the dishwasher, don't have one. I was also told they'd send a package of literature, extended warranty info, and stuff in the mail, but got nothing, zero, zip, zilch.

I called my credit union today to discuss a possible credit card dispute if all else fails. I can count on one hand all the stuff I've returned in my lifetime, ate a few duds too. I've only had one Visa dispute, $3000-4000 was somehow mysteriously charged in various Australian liquor stores and in Europe transportation. I need to be ready to address it if necessary.

• Brent B
    12 years ago

Yes antss, it was the intake valve, but it was suggested (by the dealer) to change the whole hose assy, which involves removing the dw out and lying it on it's side. The water that flowed on the floor from the dw lying on it's side, had me worried for a bit, but it has worked ever since, and that has been 8 months now.

najames, to make you feel more at ease, I would still purchase the Optima again; rarely does this dw miss a step in the cleaning department and it is very quiet.

Best of luck.

• mojavean
    12 years ago

It'll probably be a groaner like leaving a plug or seal in that should have been removed, or some kid stuffed gum in the valve when it was on the sales floor.

Or unplugged the inlet solenoid, or maybe the installer forgot to turn the water supply back on after hooking up the fresh water line.

Anyway, this drama has me on the edge of my seat! Can't wait to see what is causing the problem. Best of luck, Jim.

• antss
    12 years ago

james- you are obviously to worked up and tired from doing dishes to really process the behind the scenes stuff.

I get you paid a lot of money and the item doesn't work. Not acceptable, no matter how you slice it.

Do you get that you paid less than 1/2 what THAT unit sells for normally and is far far under what the dealer paid for it AND that the additional $400 in tax, delivery, and install would have been paid by you too, for any other $800 DW new in the box from any brand ???

So, we are still talking about an $800 DW not 1200 and because it was a floor model and discounted YOU ARE EARNING that $800-$900 off for the Optima that you would have paid if you'd ordered a brand new in the box Miele Optima at approx. $1700. You'd also get to pay the tax on the 1700 and still get to pay the install fee , and buy the xtended warranty making the new total 2100 bucks +/-.

If the thing worked from the get go and was installed nicely you'd have hit a home run and wouldn't have a second thought. This happens for some people when buying demos/samples. Some get the end of the stick you are at now. Some get worse - they get hosed entirely because they paid by check and the thing never works and they have to deal with a manuf. that isn't as good as Miele and doesn't really give a hoot about your plight.

Most discounted transactions have an experience somewhere in between.

Yes, the unit originally came with a black plastic toekick cover, but most installs don't even use them as the cabinet plinth covers the unit. Additionally almost all secondary market good sales have mice type stating something to the effect of: " may be missing some original accessories, owner's manuals and/ or have minor blemishes". It was a floor model at half price - you shouldn't expect it to have EVERYTHING that came in the original box - unless you were SPECIFICALLY told that it would IN WRITING ! At any rate I wouldn't get too worked up about that piece of plastic - it looks horrible anyway - even if you have black toekick.

"I was also told they'd send a package of literature, extended warranty info, and stuff in the mail, but got nothing, "

who said this and when ??? If Miele told you this it'll happen - they won't FedEx it overnite though.

Listen - I get your frustration with FL B and NYM - I'm not defending them, simply offering some perspective on why they are slackers. I am with you 100% that you bought a working DW and that's what you need to have in the end.

KEEP IN MIND THAT WHAT YOU HAVE IS BROKEN AND THERE IS NO GOING BACK TO WHAT MIGHT HAVE BEEN. You just need to deal with the situation at hand and the Manuf. seems to be helping you out in that regard without any stonewalling.

Re: driving bck and forth and empty phone ends, you really ought to just deal with Miele and leave the other bozos out of it- Miele is top drawer, know their DW's and will not leave you out to dry on this. That's what their warranty is for , and they take it seriously.

It may take a bit of time, but they will make it right. In the end you have a fantastic DW at half the orig. cost in dollars, not sure how you are going to value your time and sanity though, but $800+ savings should compensate for that.

Perhaps you should just ask FL B to come get it and refund your $$$, and go buy a brand new in the box "brand X". Sounds like you are just not a candidate for risky transactions like floor models/ demo units.

I'd just give Miele time to sort out the issue. Remember too, that there are other people in So. FL that have service calls into Miele and many of those people paid full price for their units and or are paying out of pocket for their service calls.

Take a deep breath and let Miele take care of the problem. It'll work out in the end, trust me.

I think Miele has been very responsive , offered you a couple of solutions in a timely manner and has even backstopped one of them.

• tyguy
    12 years ago

> I'm trying to get estimates for new kitchen cabinets too but now this dishwasher crap has me consumed and beaten down to a bloody pulp. It shouldn't have to be this difficult.

najames: I really don't want to sound too harsh, but it really doesn't sound like you have any tolerance to any kind of stress or inconvenience. I wish the biggest problems I have ever dealt with was waiting two weeks for a service call. You even blasted antss, for offering his help. I didn't really see him say anything overly rude or offensive.

Your dealer and installers certainly do not sound first rate, but you have have not come even CLOSE to a disaster here. You have been offered trades, you have been offered repairs, but nothing seems to satisfy you. I bet your appliance dealer would more than happily give you a refund at this point. It seems you want a brand new Miele at half the price that everyone else paid for one.

Just chill and listen to antss advise. Miele has not given you any indication what so ever that they are going to blow you off or leave you with your "doorstop". They have expressed concern, but you are not the only customer Miele has and you have to stand in line just like most of us common folk do. I am guessing that it is something very simple, possibly even a shoddy install. Miele DW's very seldom have problems, and even the "problems" that are posted online more often than not end up being something really silly like a blocked hose.

Let it fall into Miele's hands right now, and in a couple of weeks you will be happy and have one of the best DW's made for half of the retail price.

• livebetter
    12 years ago

najames, I purchased my Optima from Miele (Canada's) warehouse store. It was an "A" grade only used for display model.

It came missing the salt funnel and all the literature.

I was told to contact Miele Customer Service and I did receive everything. The original manual was mailed directly to me from Germany and took only about 1 week.

Hold tight, Miele is stepping up and is willing to fix this for you (a lot of other manufacturers would not give a darn). That shows Miele's level of service.

I know it's frustrating (trust that I've had a few situations of my own). Let them do their thing before you get too excited.

Your wife is on strike eh? Maybe I should try that ;) Does she blame you for the no DW situation?

• antss
    12 years ago

"missing the salt funnel "

OMG ! ya had to bring that up livebetter ???

James is going to faint now.

Ty - you make too much sense, the cold must not have arrived in the Great White North to freeze your brain.

• najames
    Original Author
    12 years ago

The Mr. Appliance guy (Angel, extremely nice guy, sharp) came, but only diagnosed it again because he didn't have a "newer styled intake valve" with him. To fix the dishwasher, it needs to be pulled out, flipped upside down, taken apart to replace the valve. He'd do the rest of the correct installation then. He said it is not a new unit, contradictory to what I was told, because there is slimy Jet Dry residue inside it. He said the unit was also missing the toe kick plate, toe kick brackets, and screw plugs and suggested I ask the dealer for them because they should be with the dishwasher. We never received the "paperwork package" the dealer sales woman said I'd receive by mail either so I decided to check on it too all at the same time. Miele offered to send manuals my snail mail in 8-10 weeks or I could download them from their website, which I did, but I still don't have any extended warranty documentation or anything else related to the sale.

As requested, I had the service guy call the dealer to let them know what was wrong. He also told her the toe kick and plugs were missing, I went to the dealer but since he didn't mention the brackets she said I lied about them. She got nasty and refused to provide anything and I have to pay extra money to get the missing parts if I want a complete dishwasher. How do you think I felt? I was not a happy camper when I left.

I called Mr. Appliance and another guy actually offered to call Miele and ask for the parts, then call me back. I didn't get a call from him though.

I actually have a LOT of tolerance, all I'm asking for is a working dishwasher. I don't really want to trade for the other floor model. I've seen it, and it looked worse than the one I have now. The installer said this was a better model anyway.

Perhaps I'm jaded from dealing with Lowes on the Samsung fridge. They said NOT to call Samsung for service, just call Lowes and they'll handle everything, parts, scheduling, etc.

The weak point is the dealer. When I bought it they said it was "the same as a new model". I specifically asked if it had everything like a new model would and they said yes. I have absolutely no problems with Miele or the guy who came out today.

This saga is nearing it's end. My humble apologies to Antts and anyone else I've offended.

• livebetter
    12 years ago

@najames, sounds like the place you bought it is not very honest. Do you know to what extend this machine has been used?? I wouldn't accept it used (myself) especially since they told you it was good as new. Missing all the parts to install it correctly?? Those guys sound like crooks to me. They have done nothing to follow through on that sale and give you a properly working machine.

• najames
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Livebetter, sorry, I forgot to respond.

DWe ended the strike, and we're both doing dishes now. 8>)

Nope, she is not blaming me for the problems.

• antss
    12 years ago

james- you haven't offended me in the least.

Just in case there was any doubt about the dealer you now seem to have a clear picture, which is why I told you to leave them out of the picture entirely at this point.

_ Unless you just want your money back from them.

Angel may be your savior but he's not quite as well seasoned as he might be. The toekick plate + bracket + screw covers are not essential to an install and don't really serve any function unless you don't have cabinetry toekick going in front of the unit , in which case it's not going to look it's best anyway !

Re: your fridge experience. Miele is not Samsung and while Lowes is customer centric they usually lack real expertise even though they are exuberant. Mieleis at the top of the heap, that should be clear by even a cursory read around here.

8 weeks for a manual may seem absurd, but keep in mind the unit has been discontinued and they are not really in the habit of keeping many print manuals around in spare parts to begin with. Of course it's going to come snail mail - they are picking up the cost of the manual + shipping from Germany + shipping to you.

Like I said, just wait on Miele and FORGET THE DEALER !!!

Oh - DW is a keeper "she is not blaming me for the problems."

• najames
    Original Author
    12 years ago

I have no idea how much it has been used, just that there is a slick of Jet Dry running down the door. It can be installed, just has a gaping hole at the bottom. I don't know about the screw plugs, the service guy wanted them.

I called an Ace Hardware store here to ask about what they carried (Miele Dealer too). Elaina was a million times more helpful than FL Builders.

• speedlever
    12 years ago

Wow. What a saga.

Thanks to mrtimewise, I got in on a smokin' deal on a top line Bosch DW a couple of years ago. Installed it myself (first timer for that) and it has worked flawlessly ever since. It's so quiet that we frequently open the DW during operation not realizing the thing is running. And it has the silverware tray at the top of the unit too. I wouldn't have one without that feature again, if I have a choice.

While part of me believes the Miele to possibly be the best in the DW world, I have nothing but praise for my Bosch. And no matter how great a deal is, if the product doesn't work, the deal ain't worth it. I don't see how that dealer can have much of a future.

Good luck to the OP.

• jane__ny
    12 years ago

Wow, reading this saga is very upsetting. I would be furious and would demand they pick it up and refund all my money. I would contact my credit card and stop payment on everything associated with this bad deal.

It doesn't matter whether this is a machine out of a box or out of the store...you paid good money for something which is broken or defective. That was not the deal you made. They broke the contract and they should be responsible!

Imagine if this were a stove or washing machine? You didn't get a bargain, you got robbed. I would demand my money back.

Jane

• nerdyshopper
    12 years ago

James, this is so outrageous. I wonder why Miele even supplies such a dealer. Where I live the Miele dealer is one of those Kirby vacuum and high end small timers that I wouldn't even consider purchasing from. Might also be a bigger dealer here but not advertizing the fact. I went to Lowes locally but they only handeled the lower line of any brand of dishwasher except for Electrolux.

• antss
    12 years ago

"Imagine if this were a stove or washing machine? "

what of it - they are just appliances too !

"you paid good money for something which is broken or defective. "

Yes he did, and everyone agrees that this is not acceptable. but, what you seem to not realize is that the store doesn't handle the repair work and buying a sample / out of the box item entails risk. It doesn't really matter what the sales weasel SAYS, the risk is still inherent. This doesn't excuse the dealer's behavior here. They should make every effort to ensure accuracy of their statements.

Imagine if this was a new in the box DW and James had this problem 5 months from now. He'd call the store and they'd tell him to call MIELE at which point they'd do the same phone diagnosis and they'd set up a service call with either their in-house tech or their auth. svc. guy. It might also be two weeks for their man to come because he may or may not be busy with other customers that called in ahead of James and remember it's now Easter time so that'll add to the time. This would likely take the same amt. of time and be no less of a hassle but I'll wager that the mindset would be a lot different. "We'll, ya know I got this thing at half price so I'm still ahead of them game" instead of, well what we have now.

"that was not the deal you made. They broke the contract and they should be responsible! "

Yes - they should, and I believe they have offered a refund, BUT if James does that he LOSES the opportunity to save $900 on a great DW and he also LOSES his time invested so far in trying to make this deal work. He'll be made whole by Miele or get his $$$ back from the store or Visa. If he returns the unit he'll never recoup his time, never. By keeping the DW he keeps that investment. The "deal" becomes less advantageous , but is still in his favor.

The key thing here to remember is that James is getting an expensive DW at half the cost so there are going to be hassles. Sure this might be pushing a "worst case scenario" but that's the chance one takes when getting appliances off the secondary market.

If you are averse to risk and don't like uncertainty you need to stay away from these kinds of deals and order/buy a regularly priced appliance in factory fresh packaging. You won't eliminate your exposure entirely as new stuff is defective and falls off trucks and is installed by bozos too - but you'll have stacked the deck in your favor as much as possible.

You cannot beat the system, it's the law of the universe.

• tyguy
    12 years ago

I think the best way of putting it is the way antts put it waaay up the ladder in this thread when he said the OP was "earning" his discount. Unfortunately the OP is having to do a little leg work to earn the discount. Is it worth it? That really depends on the person. But no one seems to be giving this guy the gears. He has options. Maybe he should just get the new out of the box Bosch. I do not mean that in any way shape or form as a bash against him either. Fact is, I am a Miele LOVER, and I am not 100% certain I would go for the Miele in this case either, as I never feel comfortable with floor models. If you notice, I did not give my opinion like many people did on this thread to jump on the deal. Not because I didn't think it was a good deal, it is just that I am not one to trust floor models or refurbished units. I may have taken the deal as well, I do not know. However, if I experienced the same thing as the OP has thus far I wouldn't think I have been shafted. Now if no one was willing to help or everyone was ignoring me then I may have different feelings.

• nerdyshopper
    12 years ago

I was the one that originally (I think) suggested he get the Bosch. All Miele enthusiasts convinced him other. He should have listened to me. If the store offered to refund his money, I can't see why he doesn't take it and run to the Bosch dealer and forget this mess.

• EATREALFOOD
    12 years ago

Is buying a floor model full of risks ? MANY times I read on GW that posters have gotten "deals" on dent & scratch models from Sears Outlet stores, online, etc. Should I be forewarned and go with only new appliances with a local dealer, as opposed to floor models ? opinions ? Is extended warranty always necessary ? I have read differing views about extended warranties.

najames: my sympathy is with you. You are not incorrect for believing you were buying a model that would perform the same as an out of the box model, even if it's a floor model. This is not the same as buying a lesser quality item sold at home destruction instead of going to an authorized dealer. (such as sinks/faucets) The construction and model numbers on those items are different from the ones sold at quality plumbing suppliers.
    I wish you the best in getting this resolved.

• najames
    Original Author
    12 years ago

11/25 and still no working dishwasher.

I tried to take Antss advice Wednesday, wanted to get the store completely out of the picture. I wanted to at least have them cancel my 3rd party warranty so I could buy it from Miele instead.

I reluctantly went back to the store to talk to the sales woman. Last time I went in they said she needed to lead any refunds. I wanted to avoid the woman at the front who called me a liar when I told them it was missing toe kick brackets because the tech forgot to mention them in his call to the company, was worried I blow if I talked to her again. The sales woman said she could get them to drop/refund the extended warranty and said since the installation was done incorrectly and needs reinstalled, she'd try to refund the installation too. I gave her my email address and she said she'd go see the manager immediately, then email me. I've heard nothing. I believe it is like everything else they say, just BS talk they have no intention of following up on.

I don't know what happened to Mr. Appliance. They ordered the parts, said they couldn't cancel the order, and they'd call when they arrived Mon-Tues. Never heard back from them again.

I actually stopped at the Miele showroom and discussed the missing parts with the manager. He had a bunch of spare toe kick brackets and actually gave me a set. The only genuine live person I've dealt with in this mess. He said he refers people to House of Appliances instead of FL Builders because of this type of shoddy service and would let his reps know about the ordeal.

I think at this point, all I can do is fill out forms for a credit card stop payment on Monday.

• livebetter
    12 years ago

najames, so is Miele not fixing it either? What are you going to do with it??

• najames
    Original Author
    12 years ago

I forgot, the Mr. Appliance tech said he had another customer who bought a $7000 refrigerator from the same store, also encountered the same type problems, and also had to ask the credit card for a stop payment. He said it was the only way the guy could get them to do anything.

I don't think there are other "options". They claim to offer options, but they never actually materialize.

You call this "legwork"? You must like S&M. 8>)

• dodge59
    12 years ago

WELL COME ON NOW!!!!, najames, it IS Legwork, just very high Leg or very low back work----ya gets my drift???

Anyway continued best of luck to you on resolving the matter,
    You have certainly taught everybody here the importance of finding an Honest and Helpful dealer (especially for "Post Sales Support")

Gary

• najames
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Last one didn't post, trying again.

Livebetter, I don't know what will happen. I assume I'll have to dispute the credit card charge, then they'll have to do something. I assume they'll pick it up, who knows with this screwy place.

I think Miele would fix it, but it would take more time. Mr. Appliance claims Miele only has 2 techs covering the entire state of FL. It is 6hrs just to go up to Jacksonville from here and an hour south to Miami, 4 hours over to Tampa, a lot of ground to cover.

There were other people sitting there wanting to buy appliances, know they heard our discussion, hmm wonder if they ran out the door?

If someone offers me $1199 for it, it's theirs.

• antss
    12 years ago

"I tried to take Antss advice Wednesday, wanted to get the store completely out of the picture"

james - I don't think you listened. You shouldn't have called or gone back to the store PERIOD !

- unless -

you just decided to throw in the towel completely and seek a refund on the ENTIRE TRANSACTION. You simply set yourself up for more punishment with the "I'd just like a partial refund on the only profit you made on this deal please" demand to a store you know is unhelpful at best. That was suicide from the get go. You needed to return the DW and get a TOTAL refund if that's what you wanted , and you needed to sit at the store until the Mgr. or owner gave/agreed to it IN WRITING !

2nd - I told you Miele would fix it and they have got the ball rolling. I told you nothing would likely happen this week cause of the holiday - which it didn't. Mr. App told you he'd sched when he received the part - did you call him to see if it did , and he just hosed you ???

3rd. Also told you the in house Miele guy(s) would cover the entire state and has other folks paying cash for the service that are ahead of you so two weeks to see him wouldn't be unreasonable ESPECIALLY WITH THE HOLIDAY. You just now seem to grasp that FL has a lot of sq mileage to cover AND forgot they aren't working 3-4 days this week - just like I told you.

I know it was no fun washing dishes by hand this week, but you did process that would be doing it - didn't you. Or, did you think that somehow the appliance gods would smile upon you and you 'd have a working unit on Thursday ???

Listen , it will PROBABLY be resolved this week, but that could mean it happens on FRIDAY at 3:30 PM or that it might drag into the following week.

MEANING - you'll be handwashing for at least 4 more days and possibly nine. Prepare yourself now for that possibility, and if that is not within your comfort zone prepare for the battle and time needed to go get your $$$ from Fl. B . You could easily go the nuclear option and file w/ CC company but I can tell you that'll take at least a month to sort out and you'll get to enjoy the back-n-forth frustration with visa and Fl. B that will bring. I seriously doubt Fl B. will all of a sudden snap to it and fall in line to give you good customer service just because big brother comes calling. I think they'd just be too dense and stubborn at that point and you'll have then raised their ire and they'll drag it out just to spite you. You'll get your $$$ back no doubt - but you'll have kicked yourself in the head to get it.

• najames
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Unless you decided to throw in the towel completely and seek a refund on the ENTIRE TRANSACTION FL Builders said Wednesday they'd refund my extended warranty and **perhaps** the installation. I asked the sales woman to call/email me the status Wednesday but she didn't, nor did she on Friday, nor today. I went in again today and she was there the whole time but I patiently sat there for 45min waiting for her to show up. She "thought" they did "something" Wednesday and thought they contacted me. More lies, they've done nothing. She looked through their "notes" and found nothing, surprise, surprise, surprise. I have to call them Monday at noon to "follow up" (why?) and get a schedule for them to pick it up.

Someone else can earn this headache. I should have done this from the beginning when it arrived DOA.

• tyguy
    12 years ago

I don't think the OP took antss advice at all. I think antss was saying to just take miele's offer to have a tech out on the 28 or 29th whatever day it was, sit back until then and not stress.

Since Miele only has two techs to cover the entire state, I think actually speaks volumes about what a reliable product they are.

I think if I was the dealer I would have offered the OP a refund long ago. Heck if I lived in FL I think I'd buy it off him just to give you some rest. Damn, come to think of it, why couldn't this have been a Bosch anthrcite color washing machine :)

• antss
    12 years ago

and why aren't/ didn't you just wait for Mon. and talk with Mr. Appliance to see if -or- when he'll get the new hose assembly from Miele and can come to your place and install it?

Did you contact him on Fri.? Was he open ?

What are you going to do if he calls Mon. ?

I think you've let the holiday lull get the better of you. Nothings really changed from early last week - except the # of dishes you've had to wash by hand. The REAL sched. for ACTUALLY getting your unit up and running hasn't really changed either - I don't think Miele or Mr. App promised or led you to believe you'd have it working for turkey day. I could be wrong on this point.

I get how frustrating it is to deal with that dealer - that's why I advised you to cease talking with them - ENTIRELY ! Seems your dealings with Miele and Mr. Appliance haven't been too bad and have even been really good wrt Miele.

Why don't you give Mr. Appliance / miele another shot? If Mr. App dropped the ball you can call miele back and get on the list for their in house tech.

You're 90% of the way to the finish line already, why throw in the towel now? Why not give the people that have a clue (meiel/mr. appliance) a chance ?

• najames
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Yeah, shame on me, I'm the bad guy for expecting a dishwasher that actually worked after I paid $1199 for it. Give me 50 lashes.

I'm 90% to nowhere but more lies, headaches, and problems. I have wasted a month dealing with this and that is where I draw the line. No more calls, no more jacking around with 3 different companies. It just isn't worth it.

If I'm lucky, Monday will be the end of it. Actually, it won't be the end because I will still have to deal with them to schedule a pickup.

• nerdyshopper
    12 years ago

James: I think you have just found out some Miele lovers here won't tolerate any post that casts Miele in a bad light. I know that anything made by man has the potential for problems. So keep your chin up and get the money. Then you will be free to do whatever you want. Just don't expect a man made object to be perfect no matter how much money you throw at it. You did the concensus approach when you got the bargain that wasn't. I might suggest you go to a forum where writers are just complaining about problems they have had with a particular model and try to avoid it. I would post the site like that I found but it was a long time ago and I don't remember.

• mindstorm
    12 years ago

These sorts of posts are frustrating. More so because the afflicted party (the OP) goes out of his way to bend over for more punishment before the party that is patently disinterested about helping him, and takes every exhortation to just go to Miele as a reason to go to FL Builders instead ... .

Mate, I'm with tyguy and antss, you've done everything to put yourself in the position to maximise your pain and minimise your joy. Why in the world are you persisting in this position of returning to FL Builders and why oh why do you persist in ignoring directed suggestions to have Miele get you resolution??? You return and sit at FL Builders' doorsteps for hours at a time waiting to talk to some woman who doesn't want to help you and after all this, in your visits to Miele where you *do* get to talk to someone, you merely think that "... Miele would fix it, but it would take more time." ?? Why the devil don't you know exactly what Miele would say and why aren't you as resolute with them as you claim to have been with FLB? This is just futile hand-wringing.

And to nerdyshopper and najames, I say this as a very happy Bosch DW owner for lo these 7 years (nearly) now, much to antss chagrin. But, going by his own narrative, the OP has gone out of his way to do the silliest of things to get himself no help. His account of his antics are almost worse than reading about the inoperable new DW.

• najames
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Last post. Today marks a full month, as requested, I called FL Builders and they claim they're coming to pick up the unit on Wednesday and claim they'll process a refund.

What silly things have I done? I tried to work with the dealer. I called Miele, who called Mr. Appliance who now seems to have vanished.

I shouldn't need to be calling 3 companies and BEG to get this resolved. If your car has a problem under warranty, how many freaking places do you need to call? One, the dealer.

I regret I ever posted about this problem here.

Jim

• mojavean
    12 years ago

Sometimes it is simply better to just cut your losses to avoid further aggravation. There comes a time when the potential savings will never outweigh the agony of stress-torqued sphincter

Anyway, Jim, I sympathize and wish you well finding a replacement. I do not think the people who recommended a Miele were off-base, though. The problem has been more a harmonic convergence of incompetence than anything else. And that can happen with any machine, any brand.

• antss
    12 years ago

SO, there was no word from Mr. Appliance today AND Miele was also unable to reach him ???

Did they not offer to put you on their in house guy's sched. at that point ?

Do not disagree with you about EXPECTING a working DW - floor model or not. However, you didn't get that and there is no going back to square one. It's like a wrecked car - it's not EVER going to be unwrecked. You chose to pursue a remedy and that's what has turned into a fiasco!

I'm not convinced that if you had gone in on the 9th ( which makes it only 20 days, not a month) that FL Builders wouldn't have stonewalled you then too. Perhaps they would have convinced you to have it repaired and they would have sent their "guy" who just may have been from your favorite: new york minute - then how much agro would you be writing about. Additionally, your first contact with the actual manufacturer who underwrites the warranty was on the 15th or 16th making it 5-7 business days depending on how you count em. Now 7 days doesn't exactly make me feel all warm and fuzzy but it's not an eternity either.

I'm more concerned @ MR. Appliance going AWOL and Miele's inability to get movement. The svc. cntr. is still open the left coast crowd - maybe another call to them for an explanation @ Mr. App. at least. Maybe they'd bump you up their guy's list - though the person to make that happen won't be in until tomorrow on the East Coast.

"What silly things have I done? "

Not exactly silly , but going back to the unhelpful , and stonewalling dealer to expedite the repair and alter the terms of the deal ( xtended warranty refund ) was not your finest moment.

I understand you wanting to be rid of this mess, and I hope you can get you $$$ quickly - but prepare yourself for another battle with FL. B and your cc co. If it (battle) doesn't happen, great - but you'll drink less and have fewer grey hairs if in fact it shakes out that way.

Remember the dealer experience when they wanted your $$$ - think about how they'll act when asked to give it back to you !

Be sure to get EVERYTHING IN WRITHING from the dealer when returning the DW.

• antss
    12 years ago

I meant to add in the last post that I still think your path of LEAST resistance will be dealing with Miele - even though that will take more time and not be without aggravation.

Dealing with service issues/co.'s / techs is just plain a nuisance.

I just have so little faith in your dealer.

• nerdyshopper
    12 years ago

najames:
    I know you said you were making your last post a couple of weeks ago, but your issue was still unresolved. I'm sorry if you felt unwelcome here but for those who were really interested in your case, it would be a real benefit to know how it all turned out. Could you please make just one more post when your issues are resolved?
    Thanks.
    Nerdy

• antss
    12 years ago

I'm guessing he's still waiting on CC co. to refund his $$$.