SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
webuser_571058308

Is a downdraft fan more satisfactory with an induction v gas cooktop?

M
2 years ago

We currently have a gas cooktop + downdraft fan in our kitchen island. The downdraft died recently and the cooktop is likely on its last legs. I've been pretty dissatisfied with the downdraft, and especially hate the smoke alarm going off when cooking. But venting up from the island is impossible.

We have a 62 inch length external wall that currently has a gas line + vintage 1917 standalone range unit original to the home, that I'm too scared to cook on because it's so old. I was thinking about moving that to our kitchen nook - no gas there but I don't cook on it anyways - and building a cabinet/backsplash to house a new cooktop along the external wall, where we can install a proper hood.

However, the guy at Yale Appliance was adamant that downdrafts work great with induction cooktops, and the problems would be solved by replacing the gas cooktop with an induction one. The Yale Appliance convection cooktop guide says something similar. But I'm not sure how this can be true, I can see that an induction stove radiates less heat that needs to be vented, but why would it produce less smoke? I'd love to be able to keep the downdraft setup if it could be made more functional - less $, less hassle, and it looks great. I'm also struggling to make the leap to moving the whole setup to an external wall, as I've never had a proper hood and don't know whether it's really so much better as to merit the expense and effort. But I also don't want to drop a lot of money on a new downdraft and induction cooktop just to have the same ongoing issues with a smoky kitchen... Anyone have experience with downdrafts and induction?

Comments (2)

Sponsored
Davidson Builders
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars1 Review
Franklin County's Full-Scale General Contractor