SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
nicholas_powers

Kitchen backsplash help please

N Pow
2 years ago

I am trying am trying to decide on a kitchen backsplash. Gray cupboards are staying, white appliances will eventually go. Should I go with one of these samples or just a white subway tile with gray grout? Suggestions appreciated.

Comments (38)

• herbflavor
    2 years ago

unclear how these would "stack" for a backsplash.. your kitchen can certainly take some pattern but maybe a herringbone w more subtle variations. these are really strong light/dark contrast...maybe a bit much. herringbone pattern usually shows in a nice way....even with subtle color variations. look around some more I think.

N Pow thanked herbflavor
  • sprtphntc7a
    2 years ago

i agree, a more simple pattern would be best here. if you are keeping the floor, then you should tie it in somehow. if not, it will look like it is forgotten and 'should not be here'.

• Related Discussions

Backsplash pictures? Please share your amazing backsplash

Q

Comments (3)
    We have walnut cabinets, a dark grey floor and stainless steel counters - very similar to your setup, but we have white painted boxes. We went with a handmade recycled tile, the debris series from fireclay. It was a fight to the death between a pale blue and a pale sage green, and a lot of discussion was had about format - 2x8 versus 4x4, etc. They have a lot of colors and formats to choose from. I was inclined toward white until it was all installed, and I realized that was too boring and the room needed color.
    ...See More

Backsplash help (cross-posted)

Q

Comments (6)
    Both those tiles are stunningly beautiful, but I think I would go with one or the other. Using both might be too busy looking (and compete with the star pendants). Personally (from looking at your first & second pics) I would be tempted to just use the leafy one - it is so unique, and goes with both the counter and the island. Whatever you decide, please post pics (because I am not finished drooling over your kitchen yet LOL)
    ...See More

Please help me with my kitchen backsplash- large format tile!

Q

Comments (22)
    I like large tile for backsplash and am doing the same for the same reason, I couldnt get a third slab they didn't have one. I got 24x24 and I'm paying to have a professional install as it's tricky. So far looks lovely! Sizing to space properly is critical I found out from my tiler and he was right. If you have found your perfect tile, you can make it work well. If it's just ok, then I would send it back and look at long narrow floor tiles, or 24x24 or bigger to get your look. That is just what I finished going through. Now I'm stumped on tile for my fireplace..
    ...See More

Please help me pick a kitchen tile backsplash

Q

Comments (3)
    I'm currently redoing the kitchen. The counters are a Matte Calcutta Quartz and the cabinets are a Matte White. The backsplash will be the jewelry. So I'm looking for glossy white, different shape perhaps of the Moroccan style then use a grout colour that complements the veining in the quartz. Looking a many pictures on Houzz has really helped me feel confident in my choices.
    ...See More
  • lynzy1
    2 years ago

Agree that a clasdic herringbone pattern would be better than the chevron you are considering. Chevron is very outdated.

• N Pow
    Original Author
    2 years ago

@herbflavor Could you share a link to Lowes or Homr Depot of what you may be talking about? i wanted a herringbone. curious of thr color you mean.

• N Pow
    Original Author
    2 years ago

@lynzy1 Thank you. Could you share a link from lowes or home depot that you think may look nice

• PRO
    Beth H. :
    2 years ago
    last modified: 2 years ago

could you get better pictures? yours are super tiny, and sideways.

take a pic standing back to show the entire space, and a little closer showing the countertop and cabinets

I may be able to suggest another option, but I need better pictures. and lighting.

Any chance you're redoing the floors in the future?

and no. please don't settle on white subway tiles.

this will give you an idea of what the chevron looks like

Tilear has this one. Alerion thassos and mother of pearl

here's one in plain white

calacatta linear bar tile. Tilebar.

• N Pow
    Original Author
    2 years ago
  • N Pow
    Original Author
    2 years ago
  • N Pow
    Original Author
    2 years ago

@Beth H. : color is dovetail by sherwin williams

• N Pow
    Original Author
    2 years ago

@Beth H. : Im a single male. bachelor pad. wanted something really cool for my splash. i didnt want to do boring white subway tiles. would love to hear your suggestions. thank you.

• N Pow
    Original Author
    2 years ago

@lynzy1 thanks Lynn, honed or polished

• PRO
    Beth H. :
    2 years ago

Ok, that's better. I added a few more pictures to my previous comment. take a look at the tile.

a few suggestions before picking a tile. The marble chevron you have pictured is more of an elegant looking type of tile. Right now the downfall in your kitchen is your lighting. The boob light and the florescent type of bar light over the sink. Is there any chance you switch those to something better?

Either of these would look better, AND give you much better lighting.

get a simple under cabinet light for above the sink.

You could put glass in the doors to give the illusion of a more open space

or, try this, remove the doors to the cab, and make them look like this (just the smaller one) notice the light attached to the wall here.

OR, remove the cab above the sink and do something like this. (and you can tile the whole wall)

still remove that bar light, and do a pendant or something liek this sconce

In a pinch, you could do something simple like this can light.

can you cover up most of that warm, yellow toned flooring w/a square rug? that will also make your tile look better.
    You see how large the rug is here and how it covers most of the floor? get something like this, but in colors that go w/your kitchen

give me a stratight on shot of countertop, cabinets and the wall and I'll photo shop a backsplash for you

• everdebz
    2 years ago

It's almost a color block: grey of cabinets and white of appliances and backsplash just grey/white.

Then the floor is the continuous warm [floor].

I like the chevron with about 3 different widths in it, not a severe contrast [like black and white would be]. And not the one with beige in it.

• N Pow
    Original Author
    2 years ago

@Beth H. : thank you so much for your input. I could def cchange thr lights and planned on it. love the area rug too but i eventually want new floor. my main issue now is the bscksplash. if you were me what would you do for splash to make a statement? wish i could email you . really appreciate your help

• PRO
    Beth H. :
    2 years ago

I'd do this. get some type of wood shelving in there to keep things from looking too gray and too 'cold'. you could do walnut or a stained oak. I like the black sconce too.

You mentioned new appliances. when the time comes, get a SS or a matte black range with NO tall backsplash. you see how your controls are on that back panel that block a lot of the wall?

this is a black slate tile. but notice how the back of the range blocks off most of it. you want that gone.

If you want your cool tile to be seen, then get a range w/no back portion, like this one

The micro that's over your stove, does that vent?? This one pictured above has a regular vent hood.

Since you're a male, what if you did something a bit more masculine and maybe a bit more industrial?

I love the black glass tile set in a stacked pattern, the black iron shelf brackets, warm wood shelves. (obviously if you do the black, you have to up your lighting. those fixtures I showed you w/the four bulbs, you can use 100W LED bulbs and light your place up like a landing strip!)

Here's your chevron shape in a smaller black tile.

notice the stove and how there is no back portion. Also notice the other black accents like the window trim and lighting.

If you want to stay w/gray, that chevron comes in the gray color too. maybe places carry this size (2x8) in a ceramic or a glass

I love this look. don't know if you have another area to do, but love the stained black oak cabs here. the chevron tile is a black marble

here's a 1x6 finger-type tile laid out in a stacked pattern. Bedrosians (online)

Cloe Tile (Bedrosians, Wayfair, Home Depot) is also popular. this is the Gray color

• everdebz
    2 years ago

Later, 'grey' s.steel will keep a grey look going continuously for lowers, and nice. Just neutral idea, how rope is like your warm floor... and items of iron, etc. etc. can seem a grey repeat.

Could include item in mixed wood stains, of grey and warm. or curtains nearby would help.

Linon Anna Campaign Accent Stool Black Metal Legs with Rope Detail in Cream · More Info

Julia Stripe Room Darkening Window Curtain Blue Set 52x84 · More Info

• N Pow
    Original Author
    2 years ago

@Beth H. : thanks beth, plan on getting a stove w the knobs in front. do you think black would look good w my gray cabinets? could you send me a link of a backsplash you think would look awesome, like from lowes or home depot even? i need to order this asap

• N Pow
    Original Author
    2 years ago

@Beth H. : I have shelves on the other side of the kitchen

• PRO
    Beth H. :
    2 years ago

I think the walnut wood option looks best. really adds some warmth and depth to the gray. Paired here w/carrara marble 1x4 chevron tile and a mediumgray grout. Also shown w/copper fixtures, but I think a matte black or even a soft brass would look better

I love this tile

Here's gray cabs w/ glass in a few of the uppers. also a good idea.

the splash is a larger marble chevron (maybe 1x6?) with gray grout. nickel hardware

look at Tilebar. wayfair and home depot carry a lot of their tiles listed under the Ivy Hill brand name.

Tilebar will send you 5 samples for $5.

Don't rush on this. backsplash can go in whenever. get your other ducks in a row first (like that lighting, especially over the sink. you don't want to do the tile and then decide to remove the cabinet to do open shelves over the sink. Do that first. get a sconce or pendant.

think about doing some LED under cabinet lighting along the countertop

Get the other light done and get some decent lighting in there (you want 4000K temperature on the bulbs)

now once you have some good light, bring in your sample tiles and see what looks best. order as many samples as you can.

from what you have, I'd keep looking. there are better options.

https://www.tilebar.com/browse-by-project/backsplash-tiles.html

https://www.bedrosians.com/en/product/list/backsplashes/

• N Pow
    Original Author
    2 years ago

@Beth H. : beth the tile you said you love, do you have the link for it? should i do gray or black?

• everdebz
    2 years ago

Add 'movement' somewhere, not solid.

• N Pow
    Original Author
    2 years ago

I like the open shelves above the sink idea but I already have 4 shelves on the other side of kitchen that I dont know how to decorate. haha would you do a chevron or herringbone backsplash? gray tones? i want to do the splash now, been trying to decide for 2 years ;( again thanks for your suggestions. @Beth H. :

• PRO
    Beth H. :
    2 years ago

my computer is being glitchy right now.

the backsplash tile you can check yourself.

Search BA631613 backsplash.com

that tile would look great on this entire wall! all the way up

I recommended it to someone else on here and they got some samples. it's really pretty. and subtle enough that it won't clash w/your quartz counters. I think if you got the really busy looking marble chevron, it might not work as well w/the quartz.

I know you want to do it now, but if you've been waiting 2 years, what's another 2 weeks going to matter? you want to be sure.

consider doing some sconces over these shelves! that would look perfect and buy up the large area above the shelving

can you do this electrical yourself? get two sconces. put one above each top shelf, midway between the shelf and the ceiling. (google, "how to decorate open shelving in kitchen" )

I love these black oak shelves w/the brass brackets. and look at how they're styled w/the marble on the wall. you could have this. (consider doing better shelving though)

(lots of pictures. look at some)

I waited one year to choose mine. I went w/the Calacatta marble subway tiles, matte black window/faucet, brass and walnut wood accents

My island is dark gray.

• N Pow
    Original Author
    2 years ago

@Beth H. : youll never believe but I ordered two samples from backsplash. my backsplash guy said he wouldnt recommend natural stone bc of pasta sauce, etc. and if I order online and product becomes damaged its on me. so frustrated. do you think your calcutta subway tile would look good w my cabinets?

• N Pow
    Original Author
    2 years ago

Your kitchen looks great!!

• PRO
    Beth H. :
    2 years ago

That one on the left is it! yes, get that one. forget the right one. too brown.

(if it comes damaged, it's not on you, it's on the person/company who shipped it! make sure you get verification on this before you order)

Do you throw your sauce at the wall? don't worry about it.

What you do after it's installed is apply a really good sealer to the tile.

Then when you cook, put up a large wood cuttingboard to act as a 'backsplash' to your tile.

Here's how it looks normally,

But when I cook, I bring out the boards and set them up. makes clean up so much easier. get some nice looking boards and just style them against the tile.

No, I would not do this calacatta w/your quartz. use the other white chevron w/the diff finishes.

this would look pretty.

• N Pow
    Original Author
    2 years ago

@Beth H. : Beth I love your ideas. the backsplash.com one is $32 sq ft. I honestly wanted to find somethijf a bit cheaper. Anything you like at Lowes or Menards?

• PRO
    Beth H. :
    2 years ago

no. lol. you don't have a huge area to do. it's a beautiful tile and goes perfectly w/your kitchen.

you've been waiting 2 years, get the quality splash. A cheaper one, (say $20 a sq foot?) is going to save you about 200 bucks. is it worth it? or do you want something really cheap?

Up to you. if you want cheaper, go look at IvyHill online on Wayfair or HomeDepot and see if you like any of those.

Learn how to do some of the things yourself and save money on DIY, then you can afford the pricier splash.

btw, here's how I styled my walnut shelves

(that cost me $45. I bought a piece of wood, cut it to my measurements, stained it, and KregJigged the corners. use lag bolts to set into the studs, drilled holes on the back of the shelves, and slid them on the bolts. The cement tile splash I also did myself. found them on sale at half price, and tiled it in a few hours. used the wood trim around theborder as edging

The sconce I found on Etsy

Maybe you can pick up some extra savings when it comes time to do your flooring, or change out your lights.

I'd seriously do some sconces over your coffee bar. you can find cheaper ones like these.

https://www.lampsplus.com/open-box/

Try this link for savings on lights. they're returned, unused lights from LampsPlus. I've ordered a few off of here. Some good savings.

for example, if you wanted to do more of a modern light in the kitchen, this would give you lots of light

I love, LOVE this light. in fact, I got the smaller one for my own house. This one is a good price. and it's 3 lights, and would work perfectly w/your decor. (LED LIGHTS!) It's $300, but it's normally more expensive.

https://www.lampsplus.com/products/bergamot-station-17-inch-wide-black-3-light-ceiling-light__88v66.html

or, maybe these 3 or 4 light flush mounts. (remember, get the LED 75W or 100W bulbs in the natural daylight or 4000K temp)

these are all half the price of the Bergamot

• N Pow
    Original Author
    2 years ago

@Beth H. : love those sconces. whats the link for those?

I also just saw this. i think I like herringbone more than Chevron

• PRO
    Beth H. :
    2 years ago

no. not that cheap marble herringbone. I don't like it w/your quartz. (and it's not carrara marble. it's a cheap look-alike, chinese marble. you'll get a lot of yellowing) The other option is better.

this is the carrara option. real carrara. it's busy looking once it's all up. see?

Better look w/gray cabinets. now imagine your busier looking quartz. (this picture has a solid white quartz.)

Home depot has this smaller option

https://www.homedepot.com/p/MSI-Calacatta-Cressa-Herringbone-12-in-x-12-in-x-10-mm-Honed-Marble-Mosaic-Tile-9-4-sq-ft-case-CALCRE-HBH/301165221?source=shoppingads&locale=en-US

If you like the herringbone option, what if you went w/the solid white Thassos marble? $19

https://tilezz.com/products/thassos-white-1x4-herringbone-mosaic-tile-polished-or-honed

this place has better quality marble

https://www.thebuilderdepot.com

Which sconce?? I posted a bunch.

Honestly, instead of asking me for links, just type in, "black kitchen sconce". Or, long arm sconce, or, Open shelving sconce for kitchen.

Check on Lampsplus. I gave you the link. Didn't you look there?

or go to etsy and search, "kitchen sconce'.

• N Pow
    Original Author
    2 years ago

@Beth H. : Sorry Im so indecisive. Do you think Chevron over Herringbone? I like this a lot. I want something different and masculine and for visitors to be like oh wow. you think this is the one?

• PRO
    Beth H. :
    2 years ago

yes, the whiter one w/the 3 diff finishes would be my choice.

If you want wow, get the lighting I recommended, the rug (you need something in the interim to cover that yellow vinyl floor. it detracts from everything. get a cheap cotton Dhurrie rug, or a natural sisal or jute rug until you can replace the flooring) and that tile that I love.

and once you get your new backless stove, it will look even better.

and the sconces.

if you want wow, you'll need to do all of them. I'd also remove the cabs over the sink and do the shelving like I iposted. or, at least replace the middle panel in the doors w/glass. it's easy to do yourself. just those two over the sink. and then do the under cab light.

Or, remove the doors on those two, paint the inside, and display white plates/bowls, or whatever:

Notice the striped white and gray cotton rug. get a big one like this for your floor.

look up how to style open shelving in kitchen.

get a few wood cutting boards and style those on the countertop. bring in some greenery. and under cabinet lighting.

this is simple, looks great. (go shop at Cost Plus world market, or even Pier One imports. they have tons of stuff you can use. and rugs too)

wood bowl, bright green fruit.

for your shelves.

more masculine looking.

See? remove those cabs, tile all the way up, replace w/a cool pendant.

yours could look like this!

this style is a little more feminine, but you could get a more masculine pendant.

get the darker cutting boards. and yes, that tile I like would look fab here

just go back and look at all my pictures. pick and choose what you like. Copy it!

• PRO
    Beth H. :
    2 years ago

absolutely not. read what I just posted. do any of those. use the first tile we both like. copy everything else I've suggested. that's all you have to do. I promise, it will look amazing.

(under cab lighting too, along w/the other lighting are paramount for this space)

• N Pow
    Original Author
    2 years ago

@Beth H. : appreciate your help so much. wish money wasnt an issue haha. Im really digging herringbone more than chevron now. ive always wanted herringbone backsplash or herringbone floor. would you do this hereingbone or all white?

• PRO
    Beth H. :
    2 years ago

NPow, this is the last time I'm answering that question. (which I've done twice already)

I posted pictures of how that smaller mosaic looks. I think it's too busy looking next to your quartz. If you had a solid white or gray quartz, I'd say fine. But the two of them together, no.

But it's your kitchen. if you really like it, then do it.

I like the solid white Thassos option if you like the herringbone.

I gave you link for BuilderDepot. they have better quality herringbone marble, and the prices are good. check over there if you like.

The smaller the size, the busier it's going to look. That one above is a 1x2. too small. look at the 1x6 size if you want the mosaic. (the mosaic will come on a 12x12 sheet). if you want something larger, say, 2x8, then buy those tiles single, and install them in the herringbone pattern. up to you.

this is my last opinion. I'd save the money and go w/the chevron option tile that you already have the sample of. I think that's the best looking option. Wait and Save money if you have to, but use that one. (or, learn how to tile yourself, and DIY the splash and save on install. or cut corners elsewhere. )

• N Pow
    Original Author
    2 years ago

@Beth H. : this is today in the sunlight. i have it narrowed down to these two or white herringbone w med gray grout

• PRO
    Beth H. :
    2 years ago

the left will look very similar to this (yours has slightly less bardiglio marble)

The right one like this. You already know which one I prefer. You decide what you like.

This one isn't bad if you want a little more gray in the splash. it's not as prominent as the first one

this one works becasuse everything else around it is plain. white, solid and nothing to compete.