SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
kristi_wilson99

Window Sill Over Kitchen Sink

Kristi
2 years ago

I'm getting new countertops and am doing the demo myself. The countertop material will be used for a small ledge under the window as there is one there now. While tearing out around the window, I discovered there was a lot of "filling" in of gaps with drywall. There was drywall sitting on top of the wood in the photo below and all around the sides. This area was frequently wet and there was some mold (less than I thought there would be) and the drywall just fell apart. There were two spots I'm concerned about and I'll refer to them as spot A and spot B.

Spot A: The area directly under the window frame vertically. I want to replace the "filling" directly under the window with a piece of wood instead of dry wall but do not know if this would be recommended. I am thinking it would have to be painted or sealed to keep it from dry rot (but the other wood seems fine)? Does the window frame need to sit on something for support or would this just be filler (dry wall).

Spot B. The area between the counter and the "sill" (vertically). This area also had dry wall. Looks like they added a small piece on top of the drywall underneath to make it counter-height. I can replace this with more drywall, but this was the area that got the most moisture from the sink area. The new counters and the under-the-counter sink should fix that, but it is still near the window. Drywall or wood?

Spot B also starts at 1/4 inch (Green dot) but ends at 1/2 (Purple dot) inch...not sure how to fix that except to use shims.

It seems the easiest thing for me to do with all this uneven measurements is to level the whole thing and put counter all the way back to the window frame, but I'm concerned about water damage.

Advice is so very greatly appreciated.

I'm including pictures for reference

This is the before shot of the ledge:

Kristi

Comments (10)