SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
lauren_whitaker

Dining room/office/table dilemma

Lauren Whitaker
2 years ago

My fiance and I chose our current floor plan after we viewed a house that had the same floor plan (we did a new construction). The owners of the house we viewed had small children so their dining room was turned into an office on the main level and the 4 bedrooms upstairs were used as a master, 2 childrens rooms, and a play room with their dining room table sitting in the space between the kitchen island and the living room. At the time we viewed the home, we loved their decor, the "flow", etc. Since we do not have children yet we decided to use the dining room for its intended purpose and our 4 bedrooms upstairs are the master, a guest room, a bonus tv room, and an office.

However, I am not loving this layout. The dining room is somewhat oddly shaped and the hanging light fixture isn't exactly center in the room...this makes a round/square table either too small or offset from the light fixture or rectangular table being almost too big for the room with no way to use a rug or any other furniture in the room. We want a bigger table (at least 4-6 chairs) but as of right now, we rarely use the space because it feels crammed.

So today I started moving stuff around and think i want to go with the ideas of the other owner and make the dining room our office and move our dining table into the space between the island and the living room. Right now that area between the 2 rooms feels like unused "dead space" to me...it's just a transitional space between our living room and kitchen but keeps things open. However, my fiance thinks putting a dining room table in that area makes the space feel crammed and he doesn't want to change it. So i just need some advice....we could also eventually change to a round table once budget allows. Open to ideas!

OUR CURRENT DINING ROOM (FRENCH DOORS ARE OPEN)

MY IDEA TO MOVE THE DINING ROOM INTO THE DEAD SPACE (COULD ALSO BUY A SMALLER ROUND TABLE HERE LATER)

THE HOUSE WE LOOKED AT WITH THE SAME LAYOUT USING THE DINING ROOM AS AN OFFICE

Comment (1)