SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
forever_now

Do the 2 pendants or the 3 look better over this island? (mockup pics)

2 years ago
last modified: 2 years ago

I could use some help figuring out if two or three 9.5” pendants are a better choice over my 6.5’x 4’ island? First let me apologize for the state of the kitchen in this picture! We've been a bit stalled in our remodel, but we are a little farther along than this now (walls are tiled and painted, frames on windows being replaced, and I’ve minimized/replaced those countertop appliances) and we're ready to do lighting. I took this picture a few months back when considering some different pendants and was using balloons, but we got busy with other things. Since I didn’t want to bother re-doing the balloon experiment I’m using the older picture.

I fell in love with this pendant. The shade is 9.5” wide by 12” tall.

My island is 78”x50” (so roughly 6.5” x 4’). The balloons I was using in this picture were blown up to 10” wide. They are set 36” above the island because my husband is tall and the ceiling is nearly 10’. I believe I divided the island into quarters and placed them about 20” to center of light from the sides. (FYI, we finally decided the window frames are being replaced with white frames as the stained didn't match well with the cherry cabinets.)

Using the balloons for reference I took the picture of the pendant and tried to size it as close to the balloon size as I could, to try to place them in perspective to my actual island. From the beginning I’ve wanted two pendants not three, partially to avoid a lot of visual clutter, but now I’m wondering if a 9.5” pendant is too small for only two above my island? Also, the whole kitchen is asymmetrical.

Here is 3 pendants. I’m actually liking it more than I thought because it lines up with my 3 benches. The spacing would probably work out as:

From edge 6.75” - (pendant 9.5”) - 18” space - (pendant 9.5”) - 18” space - (pendant 9.5”) - 6.75” to edge = 78"

Of course this picture is eyeballed and may not be how they actually line up with the above spacing:

Which do you think looks better in proportion to my island?

I don’t know if it matters but the pendants will be hanging from a framed-in dropped panel above the island, somewhat like this:

Thanks!

Comments (21)