SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
therustyone

Anyone here ever make. . . . . . .

Rusty
2 years ago

. . . .Moussaka?

I was reminded of it when eggplant showed up in a couple of posts fairly recently. I love eggplant, although I don’t eat it very often, it being a member of the Nightshade family.

For years my only experience with it was sliced, breaded and fried. (Maybe still my very favorite way of fixing it). Back in the 70's sometime, I came across a recipe for Moussaka, and decided to try it. I’m not sure just how authentic the recipe might be, but I loved it, so who cares! Rest of family was not very impressed, though, so I never made it again. It is not a quick and easy dish to prepare. But the posts here reminded me of it, so dug out the recipe to try again. Cut the recipe in half, and tried roasting the eggplant and potato slices instead of frying. That also helped, work-wise, but will go back to frying the eggplant. Maybe I just roasted them too long, but they were too mushy and messy to get off the sheet pan and into layers in the casserole.

While I’ve had Eggplant Parmigiana both in restaurants and the frozen supermarket version, I’ve never tried making it at home, so that, along with a few other eggplant recipes, are now on my ‘to try’ list.

Anyone else have any 'new' dishes you're thinking of trying?

Rusty

Comments (16)