SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
nini804

In search of comfiest, softest face masks

nini804
2 years ago
last modified: 2 years ago

Dd leaves for her semester in Hawaii in 2 weeks. In order to get her there during a specific time window, we had to book her flight with 2 layovers. Child will be in a mask all day/night…and child is prone to complaining. The good news is…I won’t be there to hear it! 😂 The bad news is…of course I am a mama and want my cub happy & healthy. So I need the softest, most cozy-comfy masks you’ve worn. I personally love my Lilly and Tory Burch masks…they are so soft, have the nose things, adjustable ear straps, and look cute. She wants no part of those…apparently they scream ”middle-aged mom” to her. 🙄

Oh, and she’s fully vaccinated…I asked our dr friend if she needs like an N95 mask, and he said, ”no, she needs a mask she’ll wear. She mostly just needs to avoid people in the airports.” Which of course we have been lecturing her about for other safety reasons, can add Cv to that now!

Tell me your favorite masks! Bonus if solid colors! Double bonus if i can order them through the big A! 😂

Comments (43)

• martinca_gw sunset zone 24
    2 years ago

Following with interest! dg’s face has begun breaking out….due to masks, we’re failrly certain.

nini804 thanked martinca_gw sunset zone 24
  • Joaniepoanie
    2 years ago

I ordered EnerPlex 3 ply Comfort masks from Amazon for $24.95. Comes in a 3pack in different colors——the Large is a bit loose on me, even though my measurement was in the guidelines—I will just make the loops a little smaller by folding over and sewing on the machine. I was afraid M would be too tight. They are soft. I have only worn them once for a short time but were more comfortable in the heat and humidity than my all-cotton masks.

nini804 thanked Joaniepoanie
  • Related Discussions

mink blankets and other hospital survival items

Q

Comments (19)
    How about making a "smile" or "feel good" jar? Just take a pretty large glass/plastic jar or decorative box (you can decorate the outside yourself to make it more personal) and fill it with tons of folded slips of paper with encouraging/positive quotes, jokes, happy memories from family and friends, personal caring notes etc. I like to use scrapbooking paper, plain white on one side for writing/printing on, so each slip is pretty and decorative when folded over. Then the person can pull out one (or two or three) when they are feeling down, lonely, just need a pick me up etc. I hope she finds a match soon, my husband had a BMT when he was 8 due to a rare genetic disease, his father became his donor (unmatched) because his sister, who was a match couldn't donate because there was a possibility she was a carrier of the same disease. Females are carriers of it, but males are the ones affected by it. He pulled through fine even with it not being a match, really hoping your daughter's friend does too.
    ...See More

Help! Leathered quartzite island top with damage and then more damage!

Q

Comments (72)
    I am a fabricator. It distresses me when someone goes thru an experience like yours because the stone supplier or fabricator did not accurately communicate the material properties of a particular stone. In my shop we make CERTIAN a customer knows the properties of a stone they are considering including signing off on the details because we don't want that unhappy customer coming back a few months down the road. "soft quartzite " doesn't exist. If it's soft (and etches) it's marble and has all the performance deficiencies marble is known for. with Real quartzite is so hard it's a challenge to process in the fab shop which is part of the reason it's considerably more expensive. For your application the only long term option is to replace the top with any one of hundreds of options in natural stone that will hold up to your planned use with little or no maintenance.
    ...See More

The good, the bad and the ugly of wearing masks

Q

Comments (47)
    This thread reminded me how difficult it is to open those darn produce bags, even by rubbing them. The biodegradable green bags are even worse, as they are too flexible for the rub method. I usually carry a small bottle of hand sanitizer so I can address my hands as needed. I went to a salon yesterday, and they wiped down the station, equipment, etc and sprayed between clients. People were texted in one at a time, and all the stations were spaced apart. It gave a lot more confidence to hear that the 140 people exposed to symptomatic stylists in Missouri did not have a single case yet, and all were in masks. A friend posted that her salon provides a masks and even tapes down the seams for the duration of the appointment (so the loops can be dropped).
    ...See More

Source for KN95 masks

Q

Comments (9)
    Thanks, y’all. It was the ones from Bonafide masks. I just re-read my OP and realize I wasn’t clear. I bought 2 packages of the masks, one for me and one for DH, for our trip to Florida. DH never used his. Week before last, I gave DH’s package to a neighbor. Her husband had COVID; she didn’t. Now I want to replinish my supply plus Sister is looking for some. As always, the Hive comes through!
    ...See More
  • mtnrdredux_gw
    2 years ago

My DDs have largely migrated to plain blue disposable surgical masks. they like the fact that theyre lightweight , simple, and they can just throw them out

nini804 thanked mtnrdredux_gw
  • Boopadaboo
    2 years ago

Does she wear glasses? we have a family of glasses wearers :) and so all the ones we buy have the little metal bar that goes across the nose.

nini804 thanked Boopadaboo
  • lakeaffect_gw
    2 years ago

We have masks from Lesley Evers, an Oakland, CA based, woman owned company and Diop, a Black owned and Detroit based company that my 23 year old daughter and I both wear. Neither of us are OK with using disposables on the regular, we don't use Amazon (just say no to lining the pockets of ego-driven billionaires, I always say) and we want US made masks. I've also heard good things about Beau Ties of Vermont's masks (from my Vermont family), but haven't used them myself.

nini804 thanked lakeaffect_gw
  • localeater
    2 years ago

My college junior son really likes the Tommie Copper facemasks I got him at THD(orange big box store) He says they are soft and the ear bands are comfortable. They are solid black.

nini804 thanked localeater
  • lizbeth-gardener
    2 years ago

There is a good article in the Aug 02, 2021 Washington Post by Allyson Chiu on the latest recommendations on mask wearing from the CDC. It has a lot of good info., but I can't link.

There is also a website operated by a non-profit who vets the approved/non counterfeit masks-Project 95. They also sell masks, but Bona Fide is one of the approved masks and is less expensive to buy directly from Bona Fide. I just ordered KN95's from them and used UPS shipping. They arrived pretty quickly. Of course, where you are will affect delivery time. They are located in NY.

nini804 thanked lizbeth-gardener
  • morz8 - Washington Coast
    2 years ago

We seem to have a wealth of the Tommie Copper. Mostly black, some 'pomegranate'. I think those are the masks we are reaching for most often and keep in both car and truck.

I have several Johnny Was and love the embroidery and patterns. Those are my 'dress up' masks.

We also keep a few of the disposable around, I'll wear those for a hair appt so nothing is stained while being colored.

Really, one of the most very comfortable I have is a freebie in the mail from our prescription drug coverage Humana. With its advertising on it, I'd put it aside for an emergency, needed it running errands one day and was oh so pleasantly surprised. It read something like 'good for 20 washings', I don't know the fabric at all.

If your daughter wants something simple, solid color, comfortable I'd probably go with the Tommie Copper. You can order direct from there, or Home Depot has been carrying in packages of two. Just be sure not to order her the gator style they also offer.

nini804 thanked morz8 - Washington Coast
  • mtnrdredux_gw
    2 years ago

Will she need to wear a mask just en route, or daily at her destination?

• Fori
    2 years ago

I assume the "she needs a mask she'll wear" was meant jokingly--anyone going away for a semester is surely mature enough to not be talked about like a toddler!

Due to latest reports about delta, I would suggest N/KN95 masks for air travelers. The trick is to get a couple different types and switch them out so the wearer doesn't get rubbed in the same spot for too long.

nini804 thanked Fori
  • texanjana
    2 years ago

I have found these to be the most comfortable. On planes and in airports I wear a KN95 over the cloth mask.

https://www.beautiesltd.com/collections/face-coverings

nini804 thanked texanjana
  • Tina Marie
    2 years ago

If it were me, I would be more concerned about what is the safest type mask to use. Last week, I believe it was on the Today Show, they showed the different types of masks and the percentage they were effective against the Delta Variant. The results were a bit startling. The DV is more contagious and is spread by mist, not particles like the Covid. We use the disposable medical masks but if I were going to be on a plane, etc. I would most likely use a Kn95.

nini804 thanked Tina Marie
  • gail618
    2 years ago

I wear the disposable white/blue masks and they seem comfortable enough. I wear one all day at work, I just grab a new one each morning. I'm not sure exactly what kind they are. I work at a very busy museum and they stock them for us. I just know that I don't like masks that make my ears stick out lol. I used to like the more stylish masks but I'm now over it.

nini804 thanked gail618
  • daisychain Zn3b
    2 years ago

What I find uncomfortable about masks is when they suck into my face when I breathe in. I like a mask that stands away from my face. I only order the 3D style. I have a feeling she will think they are too mom-style for her, but I find them much more comfortable as they aren't sitting as close to my face.

I've ordered from a few different sellers on Etsy. Here is one seller.

https://www.etsy.com/ca/listing/1000106436/facemask-9th-collection-3-layer-reusable?ref=yr_purchases

ETA: my DD has to fly fairly often as she works on one coast in the summer and goes to school on the other and we live in the middle. I always remind her to wear her glasses and to never touch her eyes when she flies. She's too cool to wear the safety glasses shield, but I've tried to convince her. Pre-covid, I used to swear that the only time I caught a cold was when I forgot my #1 rule of never touch my eyes at work without first washing my hands (I work with 6 year olds, also known as first grade germ vectors).

nini804 thanked daisychain Zn3b
  • RNmomof2 zone 5
    2 years ago

Tina is right. It is being said that the fabric masks are not as effective with the Delta variant and a "procedure" disposable mask should be worn.

My hospital is not allowing fabric masks on those they did before-visitors, non patient contact office workers.

nini804 thanked RNmomof2 zone 5
  • carolb_w_fl_coastal_9b
    2 years ago

I've been wearing KN95s from BonafideMasks.com, as they're supposed to be most effective, and when in public around lots of people, I wear a cloth mask over that.

They have small sized masks for kids available only for pre-order right now, tho.

https://bonafidemasks.com/face-masks/childrens-face-masks-and-kn95-respirators/

Around the head straps are definitely more comfortable than ear straps, and I think more suitable for a small child, FWIW.

nini804 thanked carolb_w_fl_coastal_9b
  • nini804
    Original Author
    2 years ago

Thank you all so much!! She doesn’t wear glasses, unfortunately, bc that would be another layer of protection. She current DOES wear the disposible medical masks when necessary (I mean, for most of the summer here masks weren’t required, so she is really just now reluctantly getting back to wearing them.)

Not sure how many of y’all have teens, but the comment from our dr friend was just realistic…he has teens as well. I don’t know any that are excited about wearing masks! And all the teens I know think they are invincible. I was soooo happy when my kids got vaccinated!!

As far as masks while she is there, their ”home base” is basically a small resort on the Big Island. All of the students and professors are vaccinated, and the rules will be similar to what most colleges around here are doing regarding masks. They will follow all local mask requirements while out in public.

We have those Humana masks! i think they came for my MIL bc she has Humana for her Medicare!

Thank you all again so much! i will check out all links and ket you know what I get!

• Fori
    2 years ago

Get your DD some light-tinted sunglasses. I always wear sunglasses on planes. Nobody thinks I'm weird! Oh. I bet they do...

I have teens. They're going back to school tomorrow. They're pretty cautious, fortunately. I don't think you could GET them on a plane, even if I let them. :P

Of course, even if we didn't have a nasty virus going around, we have nasty wildfire smoke so it's going to be x95 masks for a while--especially outdoors.

nini804 thanked Fori
  • humbleandkind
    2 years ago

I bought these based on some recommendations here and the luxury bamboo are very soft. The ear pulls can be cut shorter once fitted to size.

nini804 thanked humbleandkind
  • Annie Deighnaugh
    2 years ago

Is she into sparkles? Maybe something with rhinestones would make it more special for her...

nini804 thanked Annie Deighnaugh
  • carolb_w_fl_coastal_9b
    2 years ago

So sorry - I thought you were referring to a young child. 'Child' had me confused, I guess. So she's a teen?

• PRO
    MDLN
    2 years ago

Would be very concerned about the long in-flight time, and would absolutely wear a n95 during that time.

These are worn by hospital personnel, not highest rated by Amazon customers because may not look great or be most comfortable. However, they are most EFFECTIVE.

It's not about looking good, feeling comfortable, it's about SAVING YOUR LIFE!

All n95's have a head strap (not ears) to obtain a tight fit. If you feel mask suck in during inspiration, it is an indicator of minimal air leak, and a GOOD, TIGHT fit.

nini804 thanked MDLN
  • Joaniepoanie
    2 years ago

Texanjana—-I went to the dr last week with my cloth mask under the KN95 and she said I had it backwards—-KN95 goes on first she said because of how it seals.

I bought KN95’s from A— Suncoo brand.

nini804 thanked Joaniepoanie
  • OutsidePlaying
    2 years ago

I just bought some N95s and KN95s from Bona Fide. We also use the blue disposables (which you can now buy in other colors….black, pink, aqua, maybe others). I do have some cloth masks which are very soft & comfy but the company I bought them from no longer sells masks.

• nini804
    Original Author
    2 years ago

Lol @Annie Deighnaugh! Dd actually had a rhinestone one for Prom this year! Don’t think it was super comfortable…and I know she would not wear it to or in Hawaii. 😂

Yes @carolb_w_fl_coastal_9b …she’s a teen…will be a college freshman! 😊 I just refer to her as my child, i dont know, maybe it’s a southern thing, lol.

@Fori …no one has ever accused my kid of being cautious…about Covid or anything else. She’s always doing something crazy/brave…ever since she was little. No fear. She just went skydiving for her 18th bday.😳 And she has been on planes her whole life…she flew to Slovenia with a teen adventure travel program at 16 alone. Covid would never scare her off a plane. 😂 So I just worry myself and thank God & science for the vaccines!

• cawaps
    2 years ago

When I flew, I double-masked--an N95 mask with exhale valve for me (because of the exhale valve, these don't satisfy masking requirements by themselves, at least in CA), with a cloth mask over (to protect other people from me). The N95 sits off the face and makes the assembly more comfortable than you would expect. And since flying involves lots of sitting, the reduced airflow of the double mask isn't bothersome. Of course, I'm fortunate (???) to have a stash of N95 masks from pre-covid that I got to deal with annual wildfire-related poor air quality.

nini804 thanked cawaps
  • Feathers11
    2 years ago

It's wonderful that she's vaxxed! My kids are, too, and I'm so grateful because many parents and grandparents are worried about their kids who aren't yet eligible.

I appreciate the fine line you're walking in this discussion. We're in a worldwide pandemic, and your daughter is spending part of it in Hawaii, I'm assuming on your dime. I'd tell my kid to suck it up, and wear whatever f'in mask I gave them. (And it would be a KN95.)

nini804 thanked Feathers11
  • arcy_gw
    2 years ago

Agreed! SUCK IT UP, and if it's comfy it isn't worth the bother come to mind helicopter mom. If she's ready for a semester away she's ready to ADULT UP and experience the ups and downs of ADULTING!!!

• Sueb20
    2 years ago

Wow, Arcy.

nini804 thanked Sueb20
  • Feathers11
    2 years ago

Nini, I'm letting my comments above remain for transparency, although seeing my words repeated in all caps makes me realize they are harsh. I apologize, and I'm coming from a place of fear because friends and family with kids who aren't eligible for the vax are fearful of the upcoming weeks back at school. When my own young adult kids, who are vaxxed, complain about their hardships, I remind them how fortunate they are. But, yeah, I'm driving 5 hours tomorrow to basically check on one who recently moved into a new apartment, for my own reassurance (not his). I understand where you're coming from, and I hope your daughter has a wonderful experience.

nini804 thanked Feathers11
  • Tina Marie
    2 years ago

Geeze @arcy_gw is there any reason to be outright rude???!!!

nini804 thanked Tina Marie
  • nini804
    Original Author
    2 years ago

Oh, no worries @Feathers11! She does need to grow up a bit, and realize that not everything in life revolves around her wants and needs. It’s just my nature to make things that I have control over as nice & comfortable as possible (for everyone, not just my kids.) So I thought I’d get her masks that would make sleeping on the three flights more pleasant. I really do appreciate all of the great Covid safety info I’ve received in this post!

• carolb_w_fl_coastal_9b
    2 years ago

FWIW, I do find the Powecom KN95 masks comfortable to wear. The only thing that ever gets uncomfortable are my overly sensitive ears. I haven't yet tried the behind the head style, but I'm considering them for when I have to wear the masks for long stretches.

Smelling my own breath can be a bit weird, but I'm usually glad I'm the only one and nobody else can 😁

I also tie up and cover my hair when out in public - I have a pretty good collection of baseball caps now.

• Lars
    2 years ago

I made a bunch of the behind the head style masks, and I made mine so that they are somewhat adjustable. I also used pre-washed Irish linen for the lining, and that is very soft.

I think the ones that Mdln showed look like the best option.

nini804 thanked Lars
  • User
    2 years ago

This may be a repeat of something already recommended as i havent read through the thread.

Find a knit bamboo mask for your daughter. The fit can be

adjusted and it is so soft its not a hardship to wear.

nini804 thanked User
  • mtnrdredux_gw
    2 years ago

I don't think the OP ever indicated her daughter is not or won't be compliant; in fact she mentioned that DD "does wear masks when necessary" It's the Dr. that was being flippant, and the OP just wants what will be most comfortable for her daughter. IME, i see very high compliance with mask policies among young adults.

So "suck it up," whether the semester is in Ohio or Hawaii, is just uncalled for.

A few posters have made a good point about "greener" options than disposables, but I'd be sure to send along some disposables as well. We have spares in baggies in our cars, in purses, wallets etc. In case she doesn't get around to washing them or misplaces them ...

I hope your DD has a wonderful time and a great learning experience.

• nini804
    Original Author
    2 years ago

Thanks, @mtnrdredux_gw! 😘

• texanjana
    2 years ago

@Joaniepoanie Thank you for that info!

nini804 thanked texanjana
  • lizbeth-gardener
    2 years ago

I just read that several airlines are no longer allowing cloth masks, gaiters, bandanas, scarves, etc. I would check the airlines she is going on to see what they require. Things seem to be changing rapidly with the Delta spread.

nini804 thanked lizbeth-gardener
  • nini804
    Original Author
    2 years ago

Thank you for that suggestion @lizbeth-gardener! I checked, and this is what it said for Delta Airlines (in case anyone else is traveling on them:)

Disposable surgical or medical masks, cloth masks with tightly woven fabric (2 or 3 ply masks recommended), valve-free respirators (N95 or KN95), fabric masks with a clear plastic window, gaiters with two layers and face shields worn with a mask are acceptable masks at Delta.

• maddielee
    2 years ago

@nini804, I hope the news that Gov Ige is telling visitors not to visit doesn’t mess up your daughter’s semester plans.

I can’t post the link, USA Today article.

nini804 thanked maddielee
  • nini804
    Original Author
    2 years ago

I saw that…no, they are still on go. 😊 I think they are the kind of visitors that Hawaii would want…fully vaccinated, staying in a remote area, young & healthy, spending a lot of money (😩), and all agreed to abide by a code of conduct which includes following all local Covid protocols and showing respect to the Hawaiian culture in general. One week to go! We are packing like mad here! 😂

Sponsored
EK Interior Design
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars5 Reviews
TIMELESS INTERIOR DESIGN FOR ENDLESS MEMORIES