SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
webuser_396766559

Help deciding on a wood tone for furniture

Tyler Bannon
2 years ago

I recently moved into a new apartment and am having trouble deciding on a wood tone to use for my furniture. I'm essentially starting from scratch, having brought no other furniture over from my last apartment. I very much enjoy the Scandinavian style (light wood tones, muted colors, minimal, clean, airy, etc.), however given the apartment's current wood floors and cabinetry, I'm not sure how possible this will be to pull off. There will be a link to an Imgur album later on since there are quite a few photos in there.

I've been doing a decent amount of reading on wood tones in general, and I've come away with the following:

• Try to avoid having more than 3 wood tones per area.
  • More wood tones = more eclectic, less wood tones = more modern
  • Match the undertones, warm with warm and cool with cool
  • If you can't match woods perfectly, go with something very different (but still watch undertones)

I've also been looking into higher quality furniture stores rather than IKEA this time around, and Room & Board seems to fit that pretty well. An uptick in quality and has modern designs with a variety of wood tones. I found their guide here: https://www.roomandboard.com/ideas-advice/design-your-space/how-to-mix-woods.ftl and went ahead and ordered samples of those four warm wood tones shown in their chart, as well as one of their cool ones (Ash with Bark stain) simply because it seemed like my cabinets could possibly be similar.

Here are the results: https://imgur.com/a/HlxOAoG

These photos were taken at different times of the day, with/without sunlight/overhead lighting, and those details are mentioned in each caption. And if it wasn't obvious, the living room and kitchen are one large room with no walls or anything between them. The carpet is only in the bedroom.

Wanting to go with a more modern Scandinavian style and taking into consideration what I've read so far, I'm leaning towards the maple (bottom right) or white oak (bottom middle) for furniture, complemented by white accents when possible. I'm not a huge fan of the darker woods, and while maple is my personal favorite, I'm not sure if white oak would be the "better" choice given the rooms. Any advice/thoughts/opinions on this would be greatly appreciated.

Comments (6)