SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
jacqueline9ca

Bloomfield Abundance (NOT spray Cecile Brunner)

jacqueline9CA
2 years ago

I looked at the pages on HMF for this rose, and am very happy that almost all of the photos of it, except one or two (and several very old ones) are actually of the re-discovered BA, (Fred Boutin identified it) and not of one of the many forms of Cecile Brunner. Yay! It has its own listing on HMF! In order to avoid confusion, if you see on HMF, or anywhere else, a photo that says it is Bloomfield Abundance, but in which the blooms look like a Cecile Brinner, then that photo IS of a CB plant.

They were evidently mixed up in commerce a LONG time ago (perhaps even shortly after the introduction of BA in 1920, as some folks in the UK insist that their families have been growing the false BA for generations) , and eventually what we now call "spray Cecile Brunner" totally replaced the true BA in commerce. This was questioned over the years, by people who grew CB plants, and looked at the purported pics of BA which were advertising the rose in commerce then, and said something along the lines of "if it looks like a duck and it walks like a duck, it IS a duck!". A controversy emerged, as rose folks LOVE to argue over the "true" identity of roses. The "it is a type of CB" side of the argument basically got nowhere, until TA DA! DNA analysis was done on the false BA in commerce, and low and behold, it WAS a type of Cecile Brunner! (There are still evidently hold outs who do not believe DNA analysis - what can you do?).

Then Fred Boutin discovered the true Bloomfield Abundance, which does look just like the old photos of BA from the breeder (which IMO look nothing like a CB plant - even in B&W, as the blooms are larger, and the growth habit is wrong for CB). I now grow both plants (one BA, one Cl Cecile Brunner, one bush CB, and one huge ancient plant which is either Spray CB or bush CB. Anyway, the plant I have of BA has a growth habit like a short HT or a floribunda, nothing like any of the three CBs I have. I love, love the blooms - medium large (much larger than the CB blooms), and a medium pink with sometimes raspberry highlights (much darker than the CB blooms).

I was thinking about Bloomfield Abundance today because when we first got it, my DH built it a special slightly raised bed in the middle of a large flower bed of mostly iris and lilies, with climbing roses at both ends. However...that is also the bed which erupts in Four O'clock plants every July/Aug. They get bigger every year. I was walking by that bed the other day, when I realized that I could not see BA at all, nothing. I pulled back the Four O'clock foliage, and there it was, growing backwards fast because it was not getting any light at all (and had been very well pruned by the deer when they could still see it). So, yesterday when our gardener came, I had him disassemble the small raised bed (not raised enough!), dig up the BA, and plant it in a very large pot, and move the pot to our still totally empty new garden which is now 100% surrounded by a deer fence. I will leave it in that pot until it recuperates, and then plant it in that garden, where it will get 6 hours of direct sun a day. Then I will take pics of it and post them on here. Meanwhile, if you want to see very good pics of the TRUE BA, look it up under its own name on HMF - it is very beautiful.

Jackie

P.S. Nothing above means I do not like all of my CB plants! Two of them were here when we moved in, as my DH's ancestors planted them, and I love all of them.

Comments (24)