SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
jacqueline9ca

UPDATE on moving roses off 3 story house project

jacqueline9CA
2 years ago

I thought some of you might find an update on our saga of moving roses amusing - bear with me, I am going to have to write this in installments.

PART ONE: Last Summer & Fall my DH built me a new garden on the other side of the driveway from our house. We had 2 ancient 15 ft wide & 9 ft. tall & about 20 ft. deep bushes taken out, and he built a lovely "see through" metal fence (to keep the deer out) all around that space (which he painted green, and it has 2 lovely fancy metal gates), and we had it dug over & added lots of soil amendments. Then we started to move or remove the giant roses which were growing on all sides of our house except the Northern one, along with some smaller ones. (because of the fire danger, and the new law in our town insisting on that, and the fact that our house is wood shingled, and 117 old). I was very concerned that the large roses would just die, as most of them were 25 + years old.

There were a couple (banksia lutea and Cl. Cecile Brunner) which we just took down and did not move. They are not rare, and were way too massive (3 stories tall by 15-20 wide each - just 2 plants covered the entire South side of our house) to go in the new garden. So, that got done. Then, of course, we had to have that side of the house scaffolded and re-painted.

So far we have moved some smaller rose bushes into the part of the new garden which is right next to the driveway: "Pink Pet", "Schmidt's Smooth Yellow" (was growing in too much shade), and what is thought to be the TRUE 'Bloomfield Abundance'. I also got one new rose - the bush form of 'Madame Caroline Testout', the climbing version of which was climbing up our chimney (and is still there - we had it cut WAY back, and I am hoping we can convince the Fire Dept that, as it is now fairly short and 100% on the brick chimney, it is not a danger to the house - we shall see). The new bush form of MCT came from a nursery which shall remain nameless as an own root plant with two healthy canes. The problem was, those canes were sort of twisted and growing so smashed together that they had already worn wounds on each other, and looked like a disaster. So, my DH put stakes on either side of the new plant, and we have been gently pulling the 2 canes away from each other with that wire covered in soft green plastic stuff., slowly increasing the pressure as they moved apart. So far the rose has leafed out, and the 2 canes have gotten to where they are not touching, but are still "in bondage" from the wires pulling them apart. One fantastic thing happened which I just noticed a couple of weeks ago. A basal shoot is emerging at the base of the rose on the side directly opposing where the 2 canes are, so that when it gets bigger there will be three canes growing away (we hope) from each other at a reasonable angle, almost exactly equally spaced apart. Mother Nature is wonderful! Have to go now to tidy up the house as our cleaners are coming - next I will add some pictures and tell you the saga of moving our lovely old huge Anna Olivier.

Jackie

PAR

Comments (13)