SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
originalpinkmountain

Sweet/southern style or Amish macaroni salad advice

l pinkmountain
2 years ago

I made a ton of chow chow relish. I'm not really a big relish fan. I already tried it in tofu salad which is what I often eat instead of egg salad. Meh. Now I'm going to make some macaroni salad with the relish, which my dad likes.

When I make pasta salad I like it with lots of vegetables and an Italian style vinegar and oil dressing or just some mayo and a bit of mustard or vinegar. Not my picky vegetable-averse dad. I'm also going to give half of this to some friends who just had a death in the family. She lost her brother and is hosting a lot of family at her house and is exhausted. She perked up when I suggested bringing some food over.

Here's the recipe I'm using as my guide. Not going to do the peppers, onion and celery that were in the original recipe, as it is already in the relish. Going to do the eggs, and some red kidney beans, all of which my Dad will eat. Wondering about cheese? Cheddar? I'm also going to send it with some garden fresh tomatoes and advise maybe putting some chopped tomatoes over it before serving. I've eaten some store bought versions of this kind of macaroni salad but not very familiar with it. Any advice?

Ingredients

• 16 oz elbow macaroni
  • 1/3 C sweet pickle relish (has red peppers in it and orange carrots)
  • 4 hard boiled eggs, diced
  • I C dark red kidney beans
  • 2/3 c mayonnaise
  • 2 tsp mustard
  • salt & pepper to taste
  • paprika to garnish

Comments (5)