SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
lucillle

Rough dry skin.....

lucillle
2 years ago

On the back and sides of my feet and the back of my lower legs I now have rough dry skin. Apparently this can happen with diabetes. A few months back around the time of my diagnosis I was so ill that I did not care, but I'm getting my ducks in a row and am ready to take care of the skin issue now. I've been putting lotion and foot cream on but the roughness is still there. I never really had this problem, I've always just kept my feet/legs scrubbed and clean, no special care, and my skin was never this bad. I've always used a natural bristle bath brush but am careful now, as those with diabetes should be with foot care.

Those of you who have had rough skin, did anything in particular help?

Comments (33)

• terilyn
    2 years ago

Eucerin is what my doctor recommended.

lucillle thanked terilyn
  • sushipup1
    2 years ago
    last modified: 2 years ago

Try Utterly Smooth cream, available everywhere. and be sure to apply any cream or lotion when you've just bathed. Remember that creams don't add moisture, but they help to keep it in.

https://www.udderlysmooth.com/

lucillle thanked sushipup1
  • Related Discussions

Rough, scaly skin on radishes?

Q

Comments (1)
    Maybe too weather hot and not enough water? Here is a link that might be useful: Growing Radishes
    ...See More

Ugly worms and Rose canker

Q

Comments (8)
    Don't you think the "worms" are the larvae of something that came in the hay? I know few larvae that are attractive... The term "canker" covers a lot of ground, Melissa. It can mean a disease-caused injury to the cambium layer, or it can be the result of mechanical injury to the cane from insects all the way to wind damage. I'm always shocked how well roses do with cankered canes if the injury is mechanical. In truth, if it is one lone mechanical injury down low and if the cane is healthy and producing, I don't always remove it. I do have a rose whose canker appears to be disease. I deduce that from the fact it is widespread, every cane, everywhere. In that case, I pruned the rose to a nubs, but I can't say it helped much. The rose will be removed this winter.
    ...See More

dry dry skin

Q

Comments (8)
    There was a time some years back that I had dry skin, particulary my arms and upper legs........I used to slather myself with vaseline, with little to no results. Someone suggested using body lotion right after getting out of the shower, that helped quite a bit, I use any kind of cream, but some of the ones others suggested are a good idea. Then I bought some body gloves in the beauty aisle (cost range from $2.99 to 7.99), they are gloves that are a bit abrasive. You use them in the tub or shower, wet them, lather them up with soap and start washing, the scrubbing takes off the dead dry skin. I am 50 yrs. old and my skin is incredibly soft,my husband thinks so too. I have given these gloves to many of my friends who also are addicted to them and love the results. I can't say it would be the total answer for you, but it worked for me. And also try to drink plenty of water......... hope that helps some. Happy New Year
    ...See More

My orange tree completely dry out and skin lost

Q

Comments (1)
    This is how it looks .
    ...See More
  • carolb_w_fl_coastal_9b
    2 years ago

This is what I've been using for awhile now - I buy it at Target, and discount stores like TJ Maxx & Marshalls often have it for several dollars less as well. I put it on as soon as I get out of the shower and towel off. A little goes a long way.

You might consider what you're using to wash with too - some products are extremely drying. I like Trader Joe's Citrus Body Wash. It's very mild.

Also consider exfoliating. I use a pumice stone on my feet daily. It's the last thing I do when bathing.

lucillle thanked carolb_w_fl_coastal_9b
  • lucillle
    Original Author
    2 years ago

I will look into some mild body washes, thank you. I am hesitant to use a pumice stone for fear of an unintentional abrasion.

• Zalco/bring back Sophie!
    2 years ago

Amlactin works like a charm. Imagine rough feet that had not had a pedicure or or seen a pumice stone for over a year, one week of Amlactin and they were smooth as could be.

lucillle thanked Zalco/bring back Sophie!
  • Annie Deighnaugh
    2 years ago

My GF bought me Footnanny lavender cream and it really got rid of the cracks and dry skin without needing pumice or anything else. It's pricey but it lasts a long time.

lucillle thanked Annie Deighnaugh
  • pudgeder
    2 years ago

And remember to hydrate from the inside out. Drink plenty of water.

lucillle thanked pudgeder
  • hallngarden
    2 years ago

Mother used Jergens back in the 40’s. While reading a Southern Living saw an ad for Jergens Smoothie Citrus. Added to my grocery order. Works perfect for my 82 year old skin. Keeps my skin very soft and love the smell. Been using for over a month ,it was a well spent 5.97 for me.

lucillle thanked hallngarden
  • morz8 - Washington Coast
    2 years ago

I'm finding the mega packaging Cerave from Costco works just fine for most moisturizing. I do have some Amlactin that I may or may not use part of the time.

For heels specifically, this last year I've been using O'Keeffe's Healthy Feet. A routine. I wear or at least begin the day after showering wearing socks most days. I sit down in my garden window in bedroom and put the Healthy Feet on heels. Then socks. Much less dry skin on heels, its greatly improved.

Many years ago, Estee had a body cream and separate hand cream called Maximum Care. It's the only expensive department store brand I've bought that really faithfully did what it said. Discontinued and I've never found another worth the price.

lucillle thanked morz8 - Washington Coast
  • ci_lantro
    2 years ago

Assured Creamy Petroleum Jelly works as good or better than most things that I have tried. I buy it at Dollar Tree. Absorbs quickly, no greasy mess. Smells nice, too.

lucillle thanked ci_lantro
  • SEA SEA
    2 years ago

I like and use and like Cerave in the tub like Morz says above. I also like Cetaphil cream, also in a tub--not the lotion. This one I find works better for me. Very dry climate here and I have blood sugar issues which as we know messes with skin. If I stick with Cetaphil in the tub faithfully, I do well and skin is comfortable. But it's been so dang hot lately (no AC) that I've had to not use it lately as the occusive nature of it adds a little body heat. My skin is all dry and angry now. :(

lucillle thanked SEA SEA
  • lucillle
    Original Author
    2 years ago

O'Keeffe's Healthy Feet.

That is the cream I'm using now just for my feet. I'm wondering whether the problem is so bad that whatever I use is going to just take some time? My rough areas on my feet feel like sandpaper.

• morz8 - Washington Coast
    2 years ago

Lucille, it wasn't overnight success with the O'Keeffe's. I stayed with the product and after using it every morning for a while, I began to see improvement that has been lasting. I don't have diabetes so don't know if you can comfortably wait for the change to take place. (I had tried white petroleum jelly from the dermatologist earlier, they seem to swear by it for all kinds of dry or chapped, healing skin. It didn't work any better and I had oily socks ;0)

Something else I found by accident or coincidence....I'd had itching of feet off and on for a while and the PA at the dermatologists had suggested vinegar soaks. Following her tip, I would put about a cup of white 5% kitchen vinegar with a couple of cups of warm water in a 2 gal bucket and stand in it (carefully, don't tip over) while I did makeup and blew dry my hair in the morning. Maybe 10-15 minutes total. Not only did the itching stop and not return, I had the softest smoothest feet in town while doing that! Just not completely convenient but somehow changing skin ph with the vinegar water really did soften and heal skin.

lucillle thanked morz8 - Washington Coast
  • Judy Good
    2 years ago

"Working hands" is a great moisturizer for feet, elbows and hands.

lucillle thanked Judy Good
  • Judy Good
    2 years ago

I agree with above, you need to be diligent with applying it. Any good cream/ointment takes time.

lucillle thanked Judy Good
  • patriciae_gw
    2 years ago

First do talk to your doctor. Getting rid of that that flaky skin is important because it could be a site for infection or fungal issues. You might get some other advice there. Then you do the creams.

lucillle thanked patriciae_gw
  • lucillle
    Original Author
    2 years ago

I think the creams come first, as they should solve the problem. I've really only recently turned my attention to my feet, I think Morz and Judy are right, diligence and time.

• Lukki Irish
    2 years ago

My husband and I had a really bad problem with dry skin from our hard water. His hands felt like sand paper. I needed some new lotion and gave Goldbond Renewal a try. It’s very thick, so I massage my hands in it, wipe off any extra and it lasts all day. I didn’t care for it at first because it is so thick, but I swear by it now. (My husband would use it daily after showering too)

lucillle thanked Lukki Irish
  • dedtired
    2 years ago

I find wearing socks to bed after applying a thick gooey ointment helps a lot. It also,prevmts leaving oily footprints on the floor! Good luck with this, Lucille, and take good care of yourself.

lucillle thanked dedtired
  • lisa_fla
    2 years ago

I’ve used rx urea cream in the past Now i use the Eucerin in a tub for extra dry compromised skin I apply it at night and wear socks to bed

lucillle thanked lisa_fla
  • Adella Bedella
    2 years ago

Have you tried coconut oil after a bath or shower.

lucillle thanked Adella Bedella
  • patriciae_gw
    2 years ago

Lucille, you are recently diagnosed. Diabetes can cause all sorts of side effects and you do not know at this time if your skin condition is the result of something like impaired circulation. It really is a good idea to simply get some input from your doctor.

there is an advantage of squeese bottles over tubs which is contamination if fungus or some such turns out to be a problem. People with Diabetes have to be so careful. Good luck with finding a cream that works for your.

lucillle thanked patriciae_gw
  • lucillle
    Original Author
    2 years ago

Have you tried coconut oil after a bath or shower

I have ordered some various lotions, and shower gels, might try coconut oil if those don't work. I like the sock idea.

• jlsch
    2 years ago

Ive recently started to use Cerave Renewing SA Foot Cream. it seems to be helping but I haven’t used it long enough to recommend it. it had good reviews.

lucillle thanked jlsch
  • PRO
    MDLN
    2 years ago

- Exfoliate with washcloth while bathing.

- Cream (more potent than lotion) applied to dry areas after bathing, while skin is moist.

lucillle thanked MDLN
  • Jasdip
    2 years ago

When hubby was getting his twice-weekly phosphate infusions at the cancer center, the nurse commented on his dry skin on his forearm and recommended Eucerin. The heavy cream in the jar, not the lotion. I buy it and use on my heels when needed as well.

lucillle thanked Jasdip
  • Bluebell66
    2 years ago

Kerasal. It’s a foot ointment that works great. I put it on and then socks over it. Can find it at Walmart.

lucillle thanked Bluebell66
  • chisue
    2 years ago

I'm another user of CeraVe cream (good price on a two-jar package at Costco). I put this all over my body after bathing. I use the higher water content CeraVe lotion on my face in the morning.

Be aware that Costco's 'bargain' two-jar package is not two BIG jars, but one large one and one smaller jar. (I find that an annoying little trick.) I've been unable to find another jar with a pump at retail stores. I'm refilling an old one from plain jars.

Another thing that might be more important for a diabetic: Mold forms in any liquid soap, shampoo, conditioner, etc. Manufacturers add stuff like parabens to retard mold, but preservatives eventually fail -- and they may even cause irritations. I just pitched out a bottle of conditioner that DH kept in the shower; I could see dark mold surrounding the cap.

Lucile -- Should you should be using a bristle brush? Too rough on skin? Brushes and mesh 'scrubbies' can host nasties.

• woodrose
    2 years ago

Ci-lantro, that is great stuff. It's the only thing that helps the dry skin on my hands and feet.

lucillle thanked woodrose
  • kathyg_in_mi
    2 years ago

Gold Bond diabetic foot cream.

lucillle thanked kathyg_in_mi
  • JustDoIt
    2 years ago

kathyg_in_in - You beat me to it.

lucillle thanked JustDoIt
  • ci_lantro
    2 years ago

Woodrose, I'm so happy to find someone else who loves that stuff. I've tried Amlactin, O'keefe's and a ton of other stuff. That cheap Assured Creamy Petroleum Jelly works better.

The only thing that works even better for my hands when they are in really tough shape (been doing stupid stuff & not wearing gloves) is Vaseline (plain petroleum jelly) and even better than Vaseline is Mary Kay's "Extra Emollient Night Cream"...which seems like a mixture of petroleum jelly & beeswax.

You need to use gloves with Vaseline & the Mary Kay stuff. What helps a lot with any of the heavy creams is to use a bit of water when you apply the moisturizer.

The Mary Kay stuff is The Best thing for winter raw, chapped lips.

In the winter, I like to use Avon's perfumed Skin Softener for dry scaly legs. It works better than lotions. It comes in a ton of different scents (I like the Night Magic scent). I have a dozen or so jars of it bought from garage sales for 25-50 cents each. I don't use it except in winter because I live in mosquito country.

Have never used it for hand cream but need to try it. Will give it a go tonight if I remember.

lucillle thanked ci_lantro